SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Death Penalty
michael

02-07-2009 07:20 PM

I see no problem with letting 70 year olds out of prison for a crime committed in their 20s. Are they likely to re-offend? Would it make 20 year olds more likely to murder? Should we still be paying for their secure accomodation and comfortable living?

There is less violent crime in many more liberal societies (most of Northern Europe in particular). There is more violent crime in the USA. Your Tunisia example does not stand up to rigorous analysis.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dovetail

02-07-2009 07:38 PM

Can't see how any Government of any hue can re-introduce the death penalty unless the Human Rights Act is repealed and the UK decides to withdraw from the Council of Europe and renounce its international obligations -

Article 1 of the the Thirteenth Protocol abolished the death penalty in all circumstances.

Baboonery

02-07-2009 08:14 PM

'Agreeing to disagree' with shameful mob barbarism?

Count me out.

philipwalker

12-07-2009 03:06 PM

Those who would bring back the Death penalty, or rather State sanctioned murder, you should be locked up yourself. It is a worry that people in our society still have these archaic views.

Thankg goodness the majority are more reasonable, and sane, I can only imagine that people who are pro death penalty, themselves have some kind of mental illness.

Crazy crazy crazy.

jon14

13-07-2009 02:57 PM

philip-walker.com wrote:
Those who would bring back the Death penalty, or rather State sanctioned murder, you should be locked up yourself. It is a worry that people in our society still have these archaic views.

Thankg goodness the majority are more reasonable, and sane, I can only imagine that people who are pro death penalty, themselves have some kind of mental illness.

Crazy crazy crazy.

Given that this practice is still alive and well today in some countries shows that it's not archaic - whether you agree with it or not, 'archaic' is hardly the correct description and is rather lazy. To accuse those who might be pro-death penalty with having a 'mental illness' is quite shameful, Philip. One may even say 'Crazy crazy crazy'. You need to grow up a bit and accept that with such issues, others might not share your view.

Baboonery wrote:
I notice that the people who loudly decry 'holiday camp' prisons tend not to volunteer to spend any time in them.

True, but why should prisoners get to watch TV and play pool? Isn't the whole point that prison is a horrible place to be? How do you encourage people not to re-offend if prision isn't that bad?

roz

13-07-2009 03:07 PM

But prisoners time has to be managed both to enable everyone to get through the days safely and to provide an element of routine and control; they can't spend all of it sewing mailbags or cultivating the prison garden, or doing OU law degrees.
And have you tried to find something to watch on TV these days? Wall to wall reality TV would finish me off. Maybe they don't have it as good as people think.
Also if you do make peoples lives harder they will probably just get used to that as the norm.

In all seriousness, taking away someones liberty and choice is already a huge deprivation, is it not, ie away from family , friends, children?

brian

13-07-2009 03:09 PM

Philip
You say thankfully the majority do not agree.
When was this put to the vote. Harold Wilson forced the issue through with the promise that life would mean life.
There has never been a vote so from where do you base your comments. Politicians of all main parties refuse to discuss it

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields