SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: Which is your favourite pub in SE23?
This poll is closed.
All in One / Foresters 8.76% 22 8.76%
Bar Equal 2.79% 7 2.79%
Bird in Hand 0.80% 2 0.80%
Blythe Hill Tavern 8.37% 21 8.37%
Bricklayers Arms 1.20% 3 1.20%
Dartmouth Arms 23.51% 59 23.51%
Forest Hill Hotel 2.39% 6 2.39%
Forest Hill Tavern 2.79% 7 2.79%
General Napier 2.39% 6 2.39%
Honor Oak 22.31% 56 22.31%
Perry Hill 0.80% 2 0.80%
Prince of Wales 1.20% 3 1.20%
Railway Tavern 2.39% 6 2.39%
Tapastry 5.18% 13 5.18%
The Capitol 4.38% 11 4.38%
The Hob 7.17% 18 7.17%
The Question 2.79% 7 2.79%
Moor Park Tavern (closed) 0.80% 2 0.80%
Total 251 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Which is your Favourite Pub in SE23?
baggydave

18-12-2007 10:56 PM

Honoracorn, the Rye Hotel - well if you look carefully you will see a real pub under the quirky decor. And is sells proper beer. And interesting clientelle. Go on, I am sure you are dying to give the Blythe a go.

Similarly quirky is Crystal Palace, which BD and others successfully campaigned agains the monstrous multiplex, with its chain clone food outlets which helped preserve the eclectic range of restaurants.

And finally a thumbs up for Querce, a proper restaurant not another gastro pub.

Three positive comments in one night? This must be a record for me.

BD, spreading love and peace

Find all posts by this user
lillam

23-01-2008 11:02 PM

hilltopgeneral wrote:
Not a single vote for 'local pub for local people', the Forest Hill Hotel?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen it mentioned on this forum.

Clearly people haven't been down there on the Tuesday for the regular blues jam - which is very impressive. The quality of the musiscianship is superb. Gets my vote. Though at other times it's not got much to write home about.

Interesting to see the lack of support for the Hob - I've never really liked it, but it seems im not the only one!

honoracorn wrote:
At the risk of sounding incredibly disloyal to the postcode, there is not one pub on that list that I actually like enough to frequent on a regular basis. I'd rather make the journey down to the Rye Hotel at the bottom of Peckham Rye I'm afraid. I'm not a real ale drinker, I don't particularly like spit and sawdust pubs, and nor do I like over-styled try-hard refurbishments (e.g the honor oak, perry hill, dartmouth arms, FHT)

Sympathise with that. Clock HOuse is quite mellow too...and that other one on Peckham Rye - Two PAges? Something like that...on the way to Nunhead... i like it in there too.

Anyhow, back to SE23: where is the Moor Park Tavern? Rings a bell, but cant picture it.

voyager3

23-01-2008 11:13 PM

Think lillam might mean Page 2 on Nunhead Lane. We went recently. It has been taken over by Jason the chap who owns Tapastry in Honor Oak Park, and is now called The Village Inn. It had a really nice relaxed vibe and the sunday roast was excellent.

gingernuts

24-01-2008 11:45 AM

lillam wrote:
Anyhow, back to SE23: where is the Moor Park Tavern? Rings a bell, but cant picture it.

Why do people keep calling the Moore Park Hotel the Moore Park Tavern!!! Cursing I'm not suprised people dont know it, as it's now a block of flats in WoodVale.

lillam

25-01-2008 02:13 AM

gingernuts wrote:

lillam wrote:

Why do people keep calling the Moore Park Hotel the Moore Park Tavern!!! Cursing I'm not suprised people dont know it, as it's now a block of flats in WoodVale.

'cos thats what it was called in the poll!

And yes I was referring to PAge 2 - so Jason has taken it over? Im afraid that it is a very quiet spot and probably not much of a money earner. Still, wish him the best of luck with it.

ohyeahkitten

25-01-2008 10:39 AM

How come no mention of Question? I'm new to the area, only lived here about a month. I like the atmosphere there for the most part. Althou on a Sunday it's way too full of kids, but after work it's a nice place to pop in for a pint.

Grangerover

25-01-2008 02:18 PM

lillam wrote:
Sympathise with that. Clock HOuse is quite mellow too...and that other one on Peckham Rye - Two PAges? Something like that...on the way to Nunhead... i like it in there too.

I think it's called Page Two! And yes, the Clockhouse is lovely. Used to frequent it regularly when I lived down that way...

I only moved to Forest Hill a few months ago so am still exploring the pubs, but they've all been pleasant. The Weatherspoons Capitol is an unique building with plenty of space with a good selection of real ales. Went to the Dartmouth Arms for the first time recently - felt very much like being on Lordship Lane! Smart, but pricey and very crowded. The All in One was good, went on a Friday night and it was suprisingly quiet. There's also a new/refurbished pub on the mini- roundabout of Dartmouth Road and Kirkdale (technically outside FH, but close enough). The name of it escapes me, but it was very good. I think it had only just re-opened before Christmas so it may still be a bit of an "undiscovered gem."

bigbadwolf

25-01-2008 05:24 PM

Grangerover your refering to the 'Woodman' which I have to agree with is quite good despite being in Sydenham. But for some reason wont accept card payments.

Despite looking like an Ikea bomb went off in there I still like the Question because it does awesome pizza's and plays reasonably up to date music and can be quite lively on weekday now and again. But another great thing about it in my opinion is that it attracts some awesome looking women stopping in for a few drinks before heading into town. But more work will be needed because the beem work is starting to give way.

I don't like the bird in hand at all.

Although I enjoy the Dartmouth arms which does excellent food but I get the impression it's a bit of a poser's pub for some reason but I still like it because it makes me feel more important and superior than I actually am, maybe because the pub caters for the more wealthier of forest hill which is a good thing because you don't get harassed by the patrons like in the bird in hand. Bit pricy though, I only go when I've been payed or when my brothers paying. The girls that go in there often seem to be with their boyfriends but still hot nonetheless.

I only really go into the capitol if funds are tight but it does have an interesting array of ales which I try now and again. But the most impressive feature is that the interior has remained untouched, hats of to j.d weatherspoons. The main draw back is that it's full of drunks and 6th formers during the day but I was once one of those kids useing the place to get **** after class so it holds alot of fond memories for me. If you want to have a good night you have bring your own atmosphere so it's best to go in a large group. The skirt that go in there is 50/50.

I haven't been to the all in one yet but will do soon.

Telegraphs O.K but I was too out of it to remember any details, sorry.

I know its just over the border but I really like spending a saturday afternoon in the dulwich woodhouse. It holds some sentiment because when I was a cub the leader of our pack would buy me a beer when he watched the cricket and it was our secret. I don't go looking for girls here I just go with male company as it's mainly families.

That it I'm afraid, I dont really go to pubs much because I smoke.

Simod_the_bod

26-01-2008 07:59 PM

No question for me... THE HONOR OAK!

Jamie, James, Rupert and all the wonderful staff have made it my drinking destination of choice in SE23.

They have delivered so much in their 1st year... Comedy nights, Live music, wine tasting, extremely friendly staff, good honest grub and all in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere! They have kept it constantly interesting and fresh. Best all rounder by far!

Shame there's no footie though (Nothing is perfect I suppose).

Looking forward to the Phoenix Nights themed party next sat...

"Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans...."

baggydave

26-01-2008 08:20 PM

If you must insist on promoting Ye Olde Honor Oake, please refer to it as such (YOHO). Even the James/Jamies started to use this name. You may also wish to ask them when they will get round to having morris dancing and traditional pub games. I presented them with all the information that they needed for both activities, on the 'we love the YOHO' thread that used to grace this site. But for some reason they still have to get round to it. Anyway, spring is in the air so some outside Aunt Sally, and dancing round the Maypole, cannot be too far off now.

BD - helping even the most flat pack of pubs realise its potential

lillam

27-01-2008 11:00 PM

Went to the All in One / Foresters for the first time this Saturday - excellent music, and a really nice atmosphere inside - really impressed. Looks a bit snooty from the outside, but pretty down to earth on the inside.

Anyone know what the food is like?

Growlybear

29-01-2008 12:32 AM

gingernuts wrote:

lillam wrote:

The Moore Park Hotel was my local for many years - I even had my wedding reception there. It was a great loss to the area when it closed down Sad

Cellar Door

29-01-2008 09:52 AM

There's a Moore Park Hotel (RIP) and a Moore Park Garage. Where is the Moore Park?

baggydave

29-01-2008 11:00 PM

Block of flats - "oh no!"

That explains why they never have any beer there and the 'landlord/lady' is so frostly when I ask.

BD - keeping fond memories alive

gingernuts

30-01-2008 10:22 AM

baggydave wrote:
Block of flats - "oh no!"

That explains why they never have any beer there and the 'landlord/lady' is so frostly when I ask.

BD - keeping fond memories alive

Baggy, I feel it is time for you to move on. Smile

Cellar Door

30-01-2008 01:27 PM

Thank you baggydave for keeping the fond memories alive.
I don't feel I quite got to my answer in your posting.

Where do the former hotel and garage derive their names?
Does anyone know if there is a park called Moore Park lurking around that I haven't stumbled across?

gingernuts

30-01-2008 01:32 PM

I think you'll find there is no Moore Park in the local area. Dont know who 'Moore' was - would be interesting to know.

oryx

23-05-2009 02:39 AM

[Moved from New Pub in SE23 -admin]

I live quite near the Chandos, and have been in there precisely once, and it was perfectly OK - just not the sort of pub I'd normally visit, though I'd be happy to visit again. It was perfectly friendly the time I visited, and has the atmosphere of an old-skool pub, with some nice pictures of the area in days gone by on the wall, and a mixed clientele.

It's a local pub for local people and always seems well-frequented (I pass by it quite a lot).

Why can people not just accept it for what it is instead of wanting to turn it into some East Dulwich-alike bar aimed at the young and well-off?

psyche9

23-05-2009 07:01 AM

I quite agree, Oryx.
I have to say I preferred the East Dulwich bars before they went the way they went - and find it slightly puzzling how anyone could like them now - but that is probably my age speaking, I am glad people do like them and that there is variety in life.

Everywhere becoming like the Bishop is a really depressing thought, though. I like places that do what they do well, like the Sun & Doves, and like - a very different place - the Blythe Hill Tavern.

Tersie

23-05-2009 07:01 AM

Oryx you have to admit that it could do with a revamp so that local people who frequent it would be able to enjoy it much more. It would also attract different clientelle and would weed out ones that would not like it, to be honest that would not be a bad thing. I myself have been in there quite a few times but there is a rough element to it too and the wine offering leaves a lot to be desired.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favourite SE23 Google Map Picture Perryman 16 16,244 23-03-2009 05:59 PM
Last Post: Happysnapper
  My favourite place of worship in SE23 baggydave 5 8,291 11-11-2007 01:31 AM
Last Post: Perryman