SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: Which is your favourite pub in SE23?
This poll is closed.
All in One / Foresters 8.76% 22 8.76%
Bar Equal 2.79% 7 2.79%
Bird in Hand 0.80% 2 0.80%
Blythe Hill Tavern 8.37% 21 8.37%
Bricklayers Arms 1.20% 3 1.20%
Dartmouth Arms 23.51% 59 23.51%
Forest Hill Hotel 2.39% 6 2.39%
Forest Hill Tavern 2.79% 7 2.79%
General Napier 2.39% 6 2.39%
Honor Oak 22.31% 56 22.31%
Perry Hill 0.80% 2 0.80%
Prince of Wales 1.20% 3 1.20%
Railway Tavern 2.39% 6 2.39%
Tapastry 5.18% 13 5.18%
The Capitol 4.38% 11 4.38%
The Hob 7.17% 18 7.17%
The Question 2.79% 7 2.79%
Moor Park Tavern (closed) 0.80% 2 0.80%
Total 251 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Which is your Favourite Pub in SE23?
shzl400

10-12-2007 02:42 PM

hilltopgeneral wrote:
Not a single vote for 'local pub for local people', the Forest Hill Hotel?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen it mentioned on this forum.

I've been in a couple of times, as the landlady was the former manager of my son's nursery. Abiding memories include the oppressive atmosphere inside, and the boxer dog running loose in the garden and doing what dogs do in gardens and incredibly steep steps to the garden. Just didn't give me a "nice" feeling. Can't comment on quality/variety of beer etc. So much potential for more. I think it's not a "daytime" pub, but probably comes alive in the evening. Definitely not a fam-er-lee pub!! One for the hard-drinkin', hard rockin' creatures of the night.

Find all posts by this user
baggydave

11-12-2007 10:46 PM

Of course I did forget the FHT, and also I believe the Foresters also classifies as a pub. Interestingly the FHT scores highest on my fave website (am I the only one who reads this?)

BD, keeping the thread going

gingernuts

13-12-2007 12:03 PM

Why not include the Herne Tavern in this list, if the Forest Hill Tavern is allowed. Both are SE22 pubs - and therefore not in Forest Hill.

Baboonery

13-12-2007 12:07 PM

gingernuts wrote:
Why not include the Herne Tavern in this list, if the Forest Hill Tavern is allowed. Both are SE22 pubs - and therefore not in Forest Hill.

The original poster admits that there are some pubs narrowly outside the postcode boundaries in his selection.

gingernuts

13-12-2007 12:09 PM

True - but there could be some support for this pub. It's one I used to frequent some years ago.

robwinton

13-12-2007 12:16 PM

It is academic I think as I don't believe you can change the list in a poll once it is set up

nevermodern

13-12-2007 12:48 PM

Never been sneered at in the Dartmouth Arms for not eating. It's nice there with a pint and the papers Smile It's lost a little since the refurb, but still a really nice pub Smile

Ian

13-12-2007 12:58 PM

nevermodern wrote:
Never been sneered at in the Dartmouth Arms for not eating. It's nice there with a pint and the papers Smile It's lost a little since the refurb, but still a really nice pub Smile

Lost a little ? it's lost a lot ! The heart and soul has been ripped out of that pub since the re-fit.
What happened to those nice big mirrors in the back room ?? That was a cozy place in it's day, not any more. The place stinks of stale food, the wall paper is the naffest I've ever seen and the rubbish paintings on the wall are just a joke. The beer is very good, but the nasty smells that waft across the bar just turn me off of going in again. It's now one of the worst pubs in Forest Hill IMHO.

One loud voice can make a difference !
nevermodern

13-12-2007 12:59 PM

Please let's not get started on food in pubs againScared

hillwalker

13-12-2007 01:33 PM

Is it not a good thing that we have a range of pubs suited to different clientele that want to drink in SE23? Without mentioning my own personal favorite which is not the Dartmouth Arms, 24% of the people on this forum think that it is in their honest opinion, the best pub in SE23

PVP

13-12-2007 02:44 PM

FHH - if you like a pint and traditional pub atmosphere, I would recommend. The clientele may not be the bright young things of aspiring south south east Dulwich, but they were never out of order; they were just normal people enjoying a pub.

Andy

13-12-2007 03:30 PM

And the music was awesome last night

Baboonery

13-12-2007 04:33 PM

nevermodern wrote:

Surprises me, I must say. I've always found it most unwelcoming if you don't want to eat. Though not as bad as some places that laughably call themselves pubs. Then again, that front room's so cold with the door opening every ten seconds...and I've never found the beer any good.

Not been in since the refit, despite living a couple of doors down.

nevermodern

13-12-2007 05:13 PM

I don't think there's any supposition that you're gonna eat if you order a drink in the front or side bar - the opposite i imagine, seeing as if you were eating you'd go and sit in the eating section. I have to admit that the times I've eaten at the Dartmouth (about four or five) I've found the food very underwhelming for what you pay. But I do think that the tinkering they've done has tweaked a great-shaped pub without ruining it. It's a shame they lost the Dartmouth Arms board in the front bar in that respect, and since they've lost the big sofa in the front, the new furniture arrangement doesn't really sit right, but I still think they've done broadly good Smile And I'm honestly not a big fan of tarted up bars - my favourite pubs in london are the ones that have retained as much of their original features as possible. I love the Blythe Hill Tavern, too, for example.

baggydave

17-12-2007 10:43 PM

Following Michael's lead thought it worth considering another poll, although I think I may have answered the questions below.

Well we should vote for the worst beer - that would be the FHT, except it is SE22, so it may well go to the Dartmouth for the sulphurous Brakespeares (which of course isn't real as the 17th century Henley brewery shut down a few years ago).

And the most expensive beer, well I think that has gone to the Dartmouth again.

The best pool table, probably the Telegraph.

Best pub to have had a bar billiards table - the Dartmouth

Best music? Probably a tie between the FH Hotel, Blyth and Foresters (in their different ways).

Most fit-inducing wall paper, clearly that is the YOHO

The Paula Fowler award to the make over, that looks the same - clearly the Hob

Pub that BD is frightened to go into - the Question (or the Bird, my memories are probably the same)

Cheapest - Capitol, which also wins the best cinema award for the area.

Quietest - the Moore Park Tavern, which also wins the running out of beer award, narrowly beating the YOHO

Pub that tries really hard with mixed success- the Telegraph

Criminal change to the exterior - if SE22 that would be the FHT. Think it could be the MPT as the decoration isn't bad, but it has lost the main door into the pub, in fact any door into the pub

BD, helping you to an informed choice

Honor Oak Mum

17-12-2007 11:33 PM

Jam Circus - nice atmosphere and no attitude, loud music, bouncers or charges on the door for a late drink.

shzl400

18-12-2007 12:47 AM

Honor Oak Mum wrote:
Jam Circus - nice atmosphere and no attitude, loud music, bouncers or charges on the door for a late drink.

Blimey - were you in a different pub??

Honor Oak Mum, we went there for a mum's nite out. The drinks were extravagantly priced. We waited at least and hour for food, which only turned up when we complained and then was diabolical. Never going there again!

On the other hand, I had a much better experiences at Mr. Lawrence just across the road...

Andy

18-12-2007 09:43 AM

Acoustic guitarist playing in the Blythe wednesday night. Very talented. Be there or errrrr be somewhere else.

honoracorn

18-12-2007 05:09 PM

At the risk of sounding incredibly disloyal to the postcode, there is not one pub on that list that I actually like enough to frequent on a regular basis. I'd rather make the journey down to the Rye Hotel at the bottom of Peckham Rye I'm afraid. I'm not a real ale drinker, I don't particularly like spit and sawdust pubs, and nor do I like over-styled try-hard refurbishments (e.g the honor oak, perry hill, dartmouth arms, FHT)

Honor Oak Mum

18-12-2007 08:31 PM

shzl400 wrote:

Honor Oak Mum wrote:

Blimey - were you in a different pub??

Honor Oak Mum, we went there for a mum's nite out. The drinks were extravagantly priced. We waited at least and hour for food, which only turned up when we complained and then was diabolical. Never going there again!

On the other hand, I had a much better experiences at Mr. Lawrence just across the road...

Sorry but I havent eaten in Circus. As the the topic was favourite pub I wrote about what I like about pubs/bars - relaxed unthreatening atmosphere, pleasent staff and crowd, nothing too loud and no bouncers. Mr Lawrence is nice but a little too old for me. Good to take the parents too though. I generally prefer eating food in restaurants and my favourite local would be Querce, though I would love to try the Honor Oak if they do a reasonble sunday dinner. There's a really nice Thai and Italian in Brockley. My current favourite is Joannas in Crystal Palace. (apologies for going off postcode!)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favourite SE23 Google Map Picture Perryman 16 16,228 23-03-2009 05:59 PM
Last Post: Happysnapper
  My favourite place of worship in SE23 baggydave 5 8,286 11-11-2007 01:31 AM
Last Post: Perryman