SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dining for New Parents
honoracorn

29-06-2009 06:29 PM

Just thought I'd post about this service which we tried last weekend. As fairly new parents, it has to be said that the opportunities for eating out at really good places have become rare to say the least. I was given a flyer for First Born outside HOP station a few weeks ago and as it was the wife's bday we thought we'd give it a go. The food was fantastic but more than anything it was just nice to spend some time together, and not be 100% focussed on the baby for a changeThumbsup . In fact we even got dressed up for the occasion, even though we were in our own place!

Anyway their website is http://www.firstborndining.co.uk and they are local to the area I think.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Contrary Mary

29-06-2009 10:54 PM

Sounds like bliss, BUT:

?60 a head? Scared

Even a night at Babur, inclusive of babysitter, would come to less!
And it's within walking distance of home...

roz

29-06-2009 11:25 PM

Interesting but also think its a little steep especially in this economy.
I'd still have an ear out for littleun crying so wouldn't relax enough to make it worthwhile. Still can't beat a reliable experienced babysitter and evening out of the house.

honoracorn

30-06-2009 08:36 AM

I actually thought it was pretty good value, but maybe that's just me. The last time I went out for a good dinner in town it came to about ?140 for 2 once we'd included the wine, service charge, G&Ts. I guess it depends what kind of restaurant you're comparing it too though. I can get a Babur takeaway any day but to be honest we wanted to do something a bit different for a change. God knows after 4 months of sleepless nights we felt we deserved it! Plus we don't really feel confident enough to leave the little one with a baby sitter just yet.

roz

30-06-2009 10:36 AM

If it works for you then its probably worthwhile and I perhaps shouldn't have slammed it in the circumstances. My partner and I blew over ?150 on a lobster dinner in France last year inc the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu - we were staying in a hotel with baby's grandparents who offered to babysit and it was our first night out as a couple for over a year since she was born so we didn't mind spending so much especially as we did have a good time. After all it averaged out at ?2 per week.
Put in your context , don't worry about the money, you both clearly deserved the treat! However personally speaking we'd prefer to get out of the house. And I doubt if any professional chef would put up with our kitchen....

roz

30-06-2009 11:04 AM

PS Not a fan of Babur. If we really want to splash out on Indian food it has for us to be the Red Fort in Dean Street, Soho. They also do really nice set lunches for ?12 per head. Yes ?12- this isnt a misprint.
Usually the same price as the Lemon Grove for a decent lunch. Friends have recommended the Cinnamon Club in town so that is also on our list if and when we ever get back in the money. We do also like Tandoori Nights in East Dulwich but once you've experienced the Red Fort nothing else will do.

If we want a reliably good meal locally its either le Querce or Joannas in Crystal Palace. Everywhere else seems average or something usually fails to please, ie cold food, lousy service. I have to say I have never been impressed with Beauberry House in Dulwich as have never managed to leave without having to negotiate a discount on the bill.

Also have been known to frequent the greasy spoon opposite the Co-op on the corner of Westbourne Drive-the quality and service are very good and the place is spotless - poached eggs on toast with tea for around ?3.50, again much cheaper than the Lemon Grove.

Pre child and pre recession we used to eat out almost every week. However there is something to be said for saving the pennies for an occasional really good meal and doing without in between- makes it feel more special somehow.

AMFM

30-06-2009 11:12 AM

I have only been to Beauberry House once (about 2 or 3 years ago) and was less than impressed. The food was ok but the service and atmosphere were pretty rubbish. It is a crying shame that such an incredible local venue can't seem to find an owner who knows what they're doing - do they still have the hideously lurid colour scheme?

honoracorn

30-06-2009 12:15 PM

Strangely enough, contrary to what we were expecting we've found that life with a newborn (so far) is actually way cheaper than life as DINKYs. I guess that says something about our social lives before we had our baby. We used to eat out every week, go clubbing at the weekends, drink with colleagues after work but now we're not doing that anymore we're prepared to splash out on the rare occasions we actually get to do anything together. It reminds of the life we used to have - I think that's important once in a while! Don't get me wrong, having a child is the most wonderful thing in the world but it's hard work and the lifestyle change can be tricky to adjust to.

We went to beauberry house a few years ago when it was weird japanese italian fusion. Horrible decor and strange food.

PVP

01-07-2009 10:04 AM

Red Fort - I was really underwhelmed by after all the hype!

P

roz

01-07-2009 11:14 AM

But did you try the ?12 lunch- at that price I was still very impressed! I don't think we could have stretched to the a la carte though.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields