SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The Big Lunch - Anyone Doing One in SE23?
roz

27-06-2009 08:37 AM

This is meant to be held on 19th July - one of those events designed to raise community spirit etc. I wondered whether anyone was planning anything in their street or locality. I gather residents need to apply for a road closure which may take some time.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigjulie

27-06-2009 12:41 PM

Yes, Hengrave Road and Boveney Road are having an event. They were planning a street party anyway and decided to come under the Big Lunch banner. Road closure has been granted. I think it is too late to apply now for this years date, but of course it is still possible to have a local event without street closure.

I like the idea of having this kind of event without the need to celebrate a royal occasion.

Will have to post after the event with how it all went. Maybe it will happen on a bigger scale next year.

http://www.thebiglunch.com/

bigjulie

21-07-2009 01:55 PM

The "HenBo" Big Lunch went very well. The rain kept away. About 200 people attended including the Mayor of Lewisham. Apart from lunch fun was had with a musical parade, a treasure hunt, fancy dress, a game of football on the lower slopes of Hengrave, a time line for the history of the area and a suggestion tree.
There are few photos on a new local community website.

http://www.henbo.org.uk/page2/page2.html

Apparently there were 30 Big Lunches in Lewisham.
Maybe in your street next year?

roz

21-07-2009 02:23 PM

Love to but would need to nail/glue the food to the table as we live on a steep hill! If we had something it would have be on Woodcombe Crescent which is a lot flatter. Seriously, it sounds a great idea but presumably a lot of pre planning and a lot of work for what is usually very few people?

michael

21-07-2009 03:26 PM

We had a picnic on my street but were so keen that we had it on Saturday! Of course we all know each other in my road and have a summer bbq and November bonfire and fireworks every year (for the last 30 years or so). But I do live in the friendliest street in Forest Hill Smile

calvin

21-07-2009 07:30 PM

Now, now, Michael, is that a challenge? And if so, how would we judge the winner? I think my street could put up a good fight.

bigjulie

21-07-2009 09:07 PM

You are right Roz about there being a lot of work for a few people. A core group of 4 or 5 really got things going but they used an interesting tactic of leafletting every household several times, including just before key meetings and managed to get others on board. I think 15-20 were involved before the day.
Of course if it is repeated it should get easier each time. I went to the Walters Way (self build houses off Honor Oak Park) street party on saturday, which is an event of 12 or 13 years standing, and by now everyone knows their role. It runs very smoothly and planning is probably minimal compared to the first time around. I also think they would challenge Michael and Calvin to the friendliest street award! They have a very strong communal life. Regular events can only help this aspect. Probably not a bad thing to get competitive about.

Randwick

22-07-2009 05:21 PM

Gaynesford Road had one.

FiB

28-07-2009 03:10 PM

How wonderful, BigJulie! Just looked at the photos from your event. Unfortunately, I only found out about Big Lunch a week or so before it was scheduled, otherwise I would have loved to have tried to rally my neighbours to put one on! How far in advance did you start planning? Have you done something like this before?
Michael, I'm jealous! How great to have such regular events with your neighbours. Thumbsup

blushingsnail

05-05-2010 12:51 PM

BIG LUNCH 2010 - Sunday 19 July 2010

Lewisham are holding a networking and information session for anyone interested in organising a 'Big Lunch' on Tuesday 18 May from 5pm-8pm at the Civic Suite in Catford. To attend email events@lewisham.gov.uk or phone 020 8314 9571.

Info from the website:

Council offers help to organise a Big Lunch

Residents are being invited to call on their neighbours to join in a Big Lunch on Sunday 18 July with Lewisham Council offering free advice on how to organise a neighbourhood event.

The Big Lunch aims to get people across the country to sit down in their own street with their neighbours and have lunch together.

Last year, 27 Big Lunches were organised across the borough – making Lewisham one of the biggest Big Lunchers in the UK. Hoping to outstrip that record and encourage even more street and garden parties this year, Lewisham Council is offering free practical advice and support.

A networking and information session will be held on Tuesday 18 May from 5pm-8pm at the Civic Suite in Catford. There will be an opportunity to meet other Big Lunch organisers, learn how to close your street for the day and gain valuable tips from those who hosted events in 2009.

Anyone wanting to attend the information and networking event, or who would like more information about how to host a Big Lunch, should email events@lewisham.gov.uk or phone 020 8314 9571.

blushingsnail

05-05-2010 01:55 PM

Oops, it's actually Sunday 18th July, not 19th.

shaman

05-05-2010 04:53 PM

Ha. I was just thinking about street parties.

I was really thinking about the Olympics, but I came across this site while browsing, which might be useful.

http://www.streetparty.org.uk

Will have a look into this big lunch thing too.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields