SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Corbett Houses in Forest Hill
roz

30-06-2009 04:44 PM

Hi, this may be one for Mr Steve Grindlay or similar folk with expertise. I have been told that the 1930s houses in Ewelme Road are ' Corbett ' houses as are the ones on Dovercourt Road, near Peckham Rye, however the only references I can find to Archibald Corbett in south London are around Catford and Hither Green and that they were largely late Victorian.

Is my source seriously mistaken? I'd be interested to hear either way. Thanks in advance for any information.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gingernuts

30-06-2009 05:00 PM

I'm no expert, but I dont think Corbett houses are 1930's in style. Where did you get this information Roz?

sydenhamcentral

01-07-2009 03:57 PM

All I know is that he was Scottish MP who built houses (lots around Catford which are Victorian) and died in around 1933.

No relation to Ronnie.

stevegrindlay

01-07-2009 09:08 PM

I don't think they can be "Corbett" houses, Roz. There is a fairly detailed study of his work and it makes no mention of houses in Forest Hill. A. Cameron Corbett (as he's usually known) was a builder between 1877 and 1914, building all but two of his estates north of the Thames, mostly in Essex. His estates were large, in the region of 100 acres each. South of the river there are just two recorded, at Hither Green and Eltham.

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields