SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dartmouth Road Water Works
petersutton01

16-06-2009 09:10 PM

Did anyone else get woken up rudely by the JCB and pneumatic drill at midnight last night? Could have cried.......

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

17-06-2009 08:41 AM

No but someone in our street decided to start some heavy duty DIY with a circular saw and power drill at 10pm so I do sympathise!

The water people should really only be working unsociable hours in emergencies ie to repair a leak, and as a statutory body have more powers than most. If you think it wasn't urgent complain to Environmental Health asap to stop any further breaches. Its hard to relax and get to sleep if you think something is going to kick off at any moment.

There are a lot of works going on locally at the moment both street infrastructure works and domestic projects, and so many breaches of working hours ; these are 8am-6pm Mon-Fri, 8.30am-1pm Saturdays, no noisy works permitted outside of these times or on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Its unfortunate that the Council take the view not to enforce these hours in their planning permissions, saying its only applicable in commercial situations, as its the smaller domestic projects that tend to affect more people in residential areas. Instead they rely on people making complaints to the Environmental Health Department for enforcement. Some very simple rules, but ones which are regularly flouted.

The other little winge of mine at the moment is domestic builders who block pavements with materials, occasionally stacked high and dangerously, and treat the pavement and road as an extension of their working area, with cables, sand, grit and potential hazards which are a minefield for children walking to school , buggies, and people with mobility issues.

petersutton01

17-06-2009 08:52 AM

Yes i saw the working hours regulations on Lewisham's website. Doesnt seem to apply all the time does it?! We went out and asked why it was happening at that time rather than during the day (like the previous 4 months!) and were given the idea that it was because works were over running. Not good. The pavement seems to have collapsed near the works now so perhaps it was a leak.. Who knows! Dartmouth Road has been butchered comlpetely and the roads surface wasnt in a good condition before! I doubt Lewisham will be stumping up the cash to redo the surface and pavements some how.

reverendlionelblair

18-06-2009 08:07 PM

I'm quite surprised that there hasn't been more complaining about the destruction being wrought upon Dartmouth Road on this forum. The builders were supposed to be there for two to three weeks and have now been there for almost three months. They have destroyed the road and the surrounding pavements, the bit outside Costcutter has been dug up four times now, the pavement on the North side of the road is literally collapsing, the road is still littered with detritus and building materials and the water pressure in my house has been ruined.

Other than that, the builders are generally quite polite and at least this time they didn't put the generator outside my house. This has actually been going on on Dartmouth Road for almost 15 months!

petersutton01

18-06-2009 08:18 PM

Ha. I agree that the builders are generally polite....shame about the rest of it! Im currently embroiled in a bit of a battle with McNicholas about some damage to my front door including scratches and cement splashes. Even though i witnessed two of the main bits of damage, they are not being very forthcoming. To top it off, I found out today that one lady who was dealing with my complaint and then claimed to have left the company via an out of office reply, is in fact well and truly employed still by McNicholas and working in the same department. Her colleague was very surprised to hear the news!

I agree though.....Dartmouth Road has taken a bit of a battering. I had hoped that seeing as though the road can be kept disrupted for such a long time, they would seize the opportunity to resurface and get it all done in one fell swoop.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Water works (Thames Water) London Road SE23 samuelsen 0 2,717 17-04-2021 10:36 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Forthcoming Thames Water works (London Road) samuelsen 0 2,940 04-02-2019 02:30 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Water leak in Dartmouth Road hillview 0 3,984 04-02-2018 12:55 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Water leak in Dartmouth Road robin orton 5 7,414 23-10-2016 11:30 AM
Last Post: robin orton
  building works on the corner of Shipman Road and Siddons Road Prampusher 3 6,417 04-08-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Sherwood