SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Central Doors on Council Properties
brian

04-06-2009 03:28 PM

I fully support central door controlled by the person in their flat but why do they do not usually have a place to put post through , called a letter box.
Am I missing it. Delivering to these places is a nightmare.
If they have a place for post which I am missing could someone please advise where ? How do the postmen and ladies deliever?

Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sydenham74

05-06-2009 11:52 AM

There's usually a trade button on the control panel which the postie would press and it allows access. I think this is time controlled and probably worked on the basis that deliveries happen in the morning. The other option is for the postie to randomly press the buzzers until someone lets them in. If they get no reply they don't get access and you don't get your post for a few days.

It's not ideal.

brian

05-06-2009 12:57 PM

I agree not ideal.
I am not a postie but newsletter delivery . What do I do ?
Why did they not build slot into these doors , surely would not cause security problems.

Gep

05-06-2009 02:21 PM

it's such a ridiculous system!
It's the same in my property: the postman has to go up the stairs to deliver post to each flat. What's wrong with letter boxes for everybody at the ground floor?

brian

05-06-2009 02:37 PM

Yes Gep
But how does he or anyone else get in to deliver to your door

billham

06-06-2009 03:00 PM

All the experience I have of this, albeit in private not local authority housing, is that the postman or whoever presses bells till someone grants them admission. Of course this nullifies the whole intention of security, but it is what happens in practice.

Having any form of security separate to individual property doors throws up this issue. I have recently been working on having a gate installed for extra security in an open stairwell accessing two flats. Fortunately it is easy enough to have two locking postboxes installed on the back of a gate ... a bit different if there were 10 or 20 flats. America has mailboxes outwith properties but I don't know if that would even be allowed here or even what the rules are about enabling mail to be delivered to a property. I am pretty sure for example that the Post Office would not be allowed to leave mail in internal pigeon holes even if this lay within a secured hallway or similar.

Incidentally, the reason for the gate is that nearby properties have recently been burgled. I would liked to thank the police Safer Neighbourhood team, and Jamie in particular, for coming to our property and giving very practical help in improving our security.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields