SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Are Dogs Walking Themselves These Days?
roz

02-06-2009 02:47 PM

In the last few evenings when I've been up particularly late, at the same time, ie around 1am, I've noticed a dog walking up our road which seems to be out and about on his/her own. I did look for its owner but there was no one around. I noticed this a few weeks ago also. The dog looks like a Staffordshire cross and has a green collar.This makes me think that some lazy owners are letting their dogs out late at night to walk themselves, especially when the traffic has died down. If the circuit is familiar the dogs can probably do it themselves after a time.
This may explain the recent increase in pavement dog poo in our immediate area.
Anyone else noticed this?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gingernuts

02-06-2009 04:51 PM

Well there's a lovely pile mid-way down manor mount. A nice bright fresh yellow colour last week that has since turned a crusy brown. Obviousy no street clearer either!

brian

02-06-2009 06:32 PM

Definately should brintg back doggie licence but not at 7/6d.

calvin

03-06-2009 12:46 PM

Saw a handmade sign today about a lost Staff cross; will look at it more closely when I go past again and try to give details...

roz

03-06-2009 02:42 PM

Thanks- could be the one; think this one was medium brown and had what looked like a green collar- although it was hard to see in the dark.

showtunesgirl

08-06-2009 02:50 PM

I actually saw a small white dog pelting it down Garthorne this morning too. No owner in sight.

ForestGump

13-06-2009 07:43 AM

In reply to a question at a meeting of the council last April there was this reply........

Quote:
Before 6th April 2008 responsibility for stray dogs was shared between the Police and the local authority. On 6th April 2008, section 68 of the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act (CNEA) 2005 commenced, which passes the responsibility for dealing with stray dogs on to local authorities and as such Lewisham took on this responsibility.

As the number of stray dogs has been increasing, Officers have been working in partnership with a number of agencies to tackle this and other animal ownership issues. In October 2008 the BARK project was launched (Borough Action for Responsible K9?s).

BARK is a project set up by Lewisham Council, The RSPCA, Lewisham Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams (SNT?s) and Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, to target the issues surrounding anti-social behaviour with dogs and the irresponsible use and mistreatment of dogs.

Lewisham is also only one of 14 local authorities across the country that has a Gold RSPCA Community Animal Welfare Footprint Award for dealing with stray dogs.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields