SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Mentally/physically handicapped kid on Devonshire Road
Fish Face

22-11-2007 02:01 PM

Has anyone else been approached by this boy?
He looks in deep distress and ambles towards you asking for help.

The other evening it was pee-ing down with rain and he tried to approach me wearing just a t-shirt, it freaked me out so I crossed the road.

I felt really bad but I didn't know what to do.

I've heard him a few times crying out for help from outside my house, but I just don't know what to do.
Sad

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ruthg41

22-11-2007 02:17 PM

Are you talking about a teenage boy who has cerebral palsy? White, about 5'4", bad leg and arm co-ordination? Can make himself understood quite clearly?

Fish Face

22-11-2007 02:20 PM

Yes, sounds like the description.
Obviously I don't know his condition by looking at him.

Do you know him?

ruthg41

22-11-2007 02:28 PM

it's okay i know the lad you are talking about. I've seen him many times, he often approaches me for a cigarette or some loose change. Yes, he has cerebral palsy, but he is fairly independent. He has carers watching out for him and friends too. He can get about quite well (have seen him on the 185 chatting with hs mates etc etc). He can get a bit wound up sometimes though! I would advise you (in a very friendly way) to carry on crossng the road if he is bothering you. He is a bit of a scrounger but totally harmless. I was really worried when i first saw him but he's a familiar face to me now.

ben

22-11-2007 02:30 PM

He has asked me for money to get the bus "home" to New Cross - I've seen him a lot around Forest Hill (South Road area), on his own and with other boys about his age.

Sherwood

22-11-2007 02:32 PM
Fish Face

22-11-2007 02:37 PM

Thanks, that's really great to know.

It's terrible to be scared off, but these days you have to be careful if you don't know the real situation!

Now I know, I won't worry and will just politely speak to him and carry on.

It was very concerning to see him out and about in the rain though without a coat etc.

PackOfDusters

22-11-2007 04:03 PM

Yeah, I've seen him round and about. I got the impression he was making conversation more than really needing help or money. Actually, after I apologised that I couldn't lend him 50p for the bus he tried to chat me up. Seems like a nice enough fellow... just maybe a bit too friendly with strangers for his own good maybe?

JonJon

22-11-2007 08:11 PM

He regularly asks me for a couple of ?s. He quite cleverly asks if i can help him. Therefore i stop and ask how and then say no and walk away when he asks for money.
He knows that if you see someone slightly physically handicapped you are more likely to offer assistance.

As said he's just a bit of a scrounger He always seem quite well presented so i don't think he's at risk at all.

Mind you i did see him grabbing a woman's arm being very persistant by Sainsbury's one day. That seemed a bit off but she didn't seem freaked out so i didn't intervene.

Scorpion

24-11-2007 04:17 PM

I've been approached by this guy on a few occasions, over the past few months, either along the Dartmouth Road or near to the WHSmith shop/FHStation and have become wise to him now, of course. He is NOT deeply distressed! IMHO
It's a regular occurence. Last night was my latest encounter with him (outside the Jolly Fisherman)
Either he is very clever and uses his disablity to good effect (ie begging) or NOT & he seriously needs help (but then someone else said he has lots of friends and carers? So they SHOULD be looking after him and curtailing his BEGGING activities, and wandering around in the dark and alone, I think?)
Most times, I see him coming and say "Sorry mate, I am not well off myself at the moment so if you need money, sorry, I can't spare any" and he most times has answered "No, I want to know the time" so I told him the time.
Sorry, but, he obviously is out there begging - for cigs, money or else. He obviously is less well off, than many others, but if he has carers and friends, why are they not home (wherever his home is?) with uim and caring for/looking after him?
Maybe its THEM who are using HIM for "other means"?
He obviously has a disability/illness - thats not disputable - but if he has carers and friends looking out for him etc. why do they let him roam around hassling people? If he is registered disabled, he will be getting benefits to help him, and, hopefully, other help, so why is he on the street begging?
I am not a hard person, not at all, but am totally ****** off with people begging for money.
I need my money myself, but, if the need arises and I believe, at the time, someone needs urgent help, I would give them some.
Unfortunately, within FH at the moment, there are far too many begging/asking for money for "?" and I am sick of it. I give nothing to no-one anymore.
I, truly, need every penny I have at the moment, so cannot spare any for others.
I also, urge other people to not fall prey to scammers, within the area, because there are a few - this one - mentioned in the subject line of this thread (IMHO) included, and others.
If I was a different kind of person, I maybe might consider standing on a street corner myself and begging for money. It seems an easy way of getting a few quid, and many seem to fall for it.
I am, however, not that way "minded", or so dishonest.

Sue

thenutfield

24-11-2007 04:27 PM

just to be PC for a moment - it think the correct term is 'disabled', not 'handicapped'.

And maybe we should be proud that we have a foreign big issue seller, and a disabled beggar - celebrating diversity in SE23! Smile

Scorpion

24-11-2007 04:49 PM

FFS
Am, totally wondering
WHAT IS THE POINT!??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PROUD? WHAT?!

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!

what WAS that reply for, thenutfield?

bigjulie

24-11-2007 05:22 PM

I think thenutfield was being ironic, you know - humour

Scorpion

24-11-2007 05:38 PM

Oh, yes, humour, sorry BJ
Yes, that would be it.

So sorry, I guess I have run out of humour, where "vulnerable and needy people" are concerned.
This is no backlash to you bigjulie, just a pent up feeling to all those damn beggars on the streets who need money for their next "fix" etc. rather than day to day living.

Sorry, but I don't find anything humorous, about someone obviously (IMHO) conning people, in the name of disabilty, humorous!

If he is NOT conning people then WHERE the hell are the supposed "many carers and friends" mentioned earlier?

And why the hell should someone have to mention PC when whats only needed is "Beggar and USER"?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I should not have posted here! Just read, quietly and reserved comment and judgement.

Going to lurk in the shadows

Sue

thenutfield

24-11-2007 06:09 PM

Thank you bigjulie, for coming to my defence. it might have been a rubbish joke, but I thought people would realise it was meant to be a joke.

I am a newcomer to this forum and I must say I have been very surprised by the vitriol and poor sense of 'friendly disagreement' that i read here. it seems unless you are one of the select few (see the thread about hello day in the beyond se23 bit), then your views are not welcome.

Perryman

24-11-2007 07:19 PM

I know of the chap - he is always polite to me but I've seen him be quite irritated at the traffic at the out of sequence crossing outside FH station. Good on him.

Incidentally, what ever happened to that chap from about 8 years ago who looked like wurzel?
Clearly he used to sleep rough in the doorways around FH.
Looked about 1ooyrs old, with a large matted grey beard and, how do you put this politely...
you knew he was around from quite a distance....

Very quiet and polite.
Very distinctive and very vulnerable.
Probably moved out when FH started going down the drain, but I really hope he found help.

roz

24-11-2007 11:02 PM

I think I know who you mean but think he died around 8 years ago.

thenutfied, take it easy, and welcome to se23.com. There is plenty of room for disagreement on this site, friendly or otherwise. Hang around for a bit longer. Some of us have been around for a long time , thats all, and treat this website like its our own. Don't take anything to heart.

Thinking about it, its about time we had another heated debate. Do we have to wait for another election or another appearance from Max Calo to get our juices flowing, or would someone like to start something off?

brian

25-11-2007 04:10 PM

Saw guy yesterday. Not sure he knows he is a celebrity. Should he be informed.??
Has asked me for money on many occasions but does not seem too upset if you just say too busy to stop and talk

Toffeejim

25-11-2007 06:49 PM

thenutfield wrote:
It seems unless you are one of the select few (see the thread about hello day in the beyond se23 bit), then your views are not welcome.

But surely that was all about being able to say hello to 10 people? You could have done so thenutfield - there was no restriction put on who could do so. You could still do so if you like!

roz

25-11-2007 07:36 PM

Met this young person this afternoon for the first time on Honor Oak Road. He seems harmless enough, but is everyone certain he qualifies as a ' kid' as to me he looks 18-23.?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields