SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
William Hill Bookmakers
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 08:12 PM

Post from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loca
Joined 20-09-2007
Posted on Thursday, 20 September, 2007 - 07:00 pm:

William Hill have asked to open longer and on a Sunday when it moves to the Blockbusters site.
See info:
The variation of Condition (1) of the planning permission dated 19 July 2007 for the change of use of part of the ground floor of 7-9 London Road SE23 to a betting office within Use Class A2, in order to allow the premises to be open between 9.00am and 10.00pm Mondays to Saturdays, 11.00am and 6.00pm on Sundays, excluding Good Friday and Christmas Day.

If you wish to abject to this then just email planning@lewisham.gov.uk with the ref: "DC/07/66487"

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=51305

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loca

03-03-2008 03:56 PM

William Hill now get there extended open hours agreed by the council.
See Link:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/31782_1.pdf

nevermodern

03-03-2008 04:11 PM

It's the same as the opening hours for the shop they've got at the moment.

michael

15-06-2009 08:23 PM

Planning application for a new William Hill (3rd in SE23) can now be viewed at http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=56706

Interested in your thoughts and in particular, in any valid planning concerns.

Contrary Mary

15-06-2009 10:29 PM

Errm...P.O.I: It's not in SE23, it's in SE6 according to my google search on 294 Stanstead Rd, anyway).

Still a bit close... developing monopoly in the area, what with one in FH town centre, one on Perry Vale, and (I think?) only Paddy Power at the old Spar to provide 'choice' for gambling consumers (such as there is one for those who have become addicts).

Backstroke

16-06-2009 12:41 AM

Presumably, the late opening hours only apply to summer racing and the shop will operate more regular hours for two thirds of the year. That makes sense for those who want to sit in betting shops while the sun is shining. Better odds are always available online, in any case.

Baboonery

16-06-2009 10:04 AM

I think they open late all year round these days, with US/Virtual racing/numbers betting to drum up turnover in the evening. All very soulless.

michael

16-06-2009 11:21 AM

Mary,
It is SE23. The full address is on the planning application:
294 STANSTEAD ROAD, LONDON, SE23 1DE

But I forgot about the one on Perry Vale. So we would have William Hill on Brockley Rise, Perry Vale, Dartmouth Road, and Stanstead Road. As well as Paddy Power on Dartmouth Road.

It does seem like we might be reaching saturation point, but I wouldn't be willing to stake any money on it.

roz

16-06-2009 11:59 AM

However I don't think that saturation of certain businesses in a particular locality is a valid objection under material planning considerations. They will presumably need to make a licence application which is probably more relevant for anyone wanting to oppose yet another gambling institution in their area. Personally I wouldn't want any more of them around but they seem to be a growth area in the current economic climate and do provide jobs. I am surprised at that given the rise in internet gambling and betting but I suppose people want the traditional bookie atmosphere and a chance to meet other people.

16-06-2009 12:51 PM

Not another one! How many bookies do we need?!

Lewisham Council have no idea do they.

michael

30-04-2014 02:04 PM

Civic Voice welcomes Government proposals that betting shops are to require planning permission

Quote:
Welcoming the announcement that the Department of Communities and Local Government will consult on giving communities the chance to decide for themselves via the planning system whether betting shops are needed (published 30 April) Freddie Gick, Chair of Civic Voice said:

“The proposal to put power back in the hands of local people is a welcome development for those communities that want more local control over their high streets. Currently, bookmakers can open up in the same premises as a bank, estate agent, pub, takeaway or restaurant without the need for any planning permission. Changing the planning category would force any new betting shop to require planning permission first, giving councils and residents the statutory support they need for greater local control on this issue.”

The Department for Communities and Local Government announced today (30th April) that they will consult on the detail of these proposals as part of a wider consultation on change of use in summer 2014.

Gick said “We are not opposed to development and the evolving of our high streets, but within the often very broad use classes categorising the different uses of buildings and land, some surprising changes of use can have major impacts on communities – for example, changes from a pub to a pawnbroker or a bank to a betting shop can currently occur with no voice for the local community. We believe this change can ensure local communities can have a say on whether betting shops are right for them.

Gick finished “. It is important that the views of local communities are taken into account when a new betting shop is being considered as the high street is such an important issue. We are glad the Government have heard Civic Voice’s concerns.”

jenros

30-04-2014 06:57 PM

Betting shops need their hours of opening restricted, they do not need to be open until 10.00pm or on a Sunday for that matter. Disgusting that they were open on Good Friday this year!

robin orton

30-04-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:
Disgusting that they were open on Good Friday this year!

No doubt because, for the first time ever, there was horseracing on Good Friday this year.

You can't stop the onward march of progress. Good Friday is, like, so medieval. People must be free to make money 365 days a year. That's what modern liberal capitalism is all about.

jenros

30-04-2014 08:14 PM

Good Friday is a Christian Holiday and should be observed as such. There are plenty of other days for businesses to make money.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields