SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Paddling Pool Near SE23?
Chalico

14-05-2009 12:46 AM

Does anybody know if there is any paddling pool for children nearby?

We lived in Wood Green for 3 years. And there was a really nice paddling pool in the Lordship Recreation park. I was wondering if there is any near Forest Hill. I google searched for it, and found that there is one in Crystal Palace. But I think it is indoors or something, because you can`t see it in a map with a satellite view.

In a sunny days, it would be great for kids. Does anybody know one?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

14-05-2009 07:31 AM

I am sure there was and maybe still is one in Wells Park.

michael

14-05-2009 08:41 AM

I think the one at Wells Park is now an 'interactive waterplay site'

See photos at: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/wells_park.html

Unfortunately paddling pools are not really encouraged any more as they can be dangerous if unsupervised.

gingernuts

14-05-2009 09:22 AM

OMG! we did such dangerous things when we were kids, it's a surprise so many of us are still alive to tell the tale!

shzl400

14-05-2009 10:09 AM

There's one on Clapham Common (northside, opposite The Pavement). It was empty the last time I looked, but I think they only fill it up in the summer. I know they are planning to install a load of benches there and I can't imagine they would do so for the Clapham yummy mummies just to stare at concrete!

Perryman

14-05-2009 11:49 AM

Ruskin Park (Denmark Hill) and Brockwell Pk (Herne Hill) recently had traditional outdoor paddling pools. No idea if they are still open.

Chalico

14-05-2009 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone.

I will check if they still used over the weekend. Hope the weather will be sunny.

liliput

10-07-2009 03:51 PM

Hi,

There may be on at the bottom of Horniman gardens, I heard a rumour they fill it up in summer.

roz

10-07-2009 05:53 PM

Hi, it would be good if it were, but in 20 years I've never seen it filled with water.

As Michael has said, the best local alternative is Sydenham Wells Park , which doesn't have a pool but a really good water feature on from about 11am in the mornings which meets all health and safety issues about unsupervised pools etc.

I've heard Brockwell Lido is good, I don't know about Ruskin but will check it out.

You could always buy one then invite your childrens friends around!

Perryman

10-07-2009 06:16 PM

I heard a rumour that you can hire row boats and punts for the day in Forest Hill.
As I understand, it is a very scenic trip all the way down to West Croydon, along the old canal. There are some nice pubs along the way too.

For details, ask in the Dartmouth Arms.

ForestGump

11-07-2009 09:21 AM

Not exactly a 'paddling pool' many parents allow their children to play in and explore the shallow river that runs through Ladywell Fields. There's a cafe, an adventure playground area for young children and a more traditional playground.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields