SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Driveways
ermsey1

21-11-2007 12:23 PM

Can anyone recommend a reputable firm local to SE23 they have used to build a new driveway?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

21-11-2007 03:49 PM

Please do not pave over garden . It seems a great shame to lose our front gardens for car parks. Also does not help the flooding situation when we get heavy rain.

ermsey1

21-11-2007 03:54 PM

brian wrote:
Please do not pave over garden . It seems a great shame to lose our front gardens for car parks. Also does not help the flooding situation when we get heavy rain.

It's already paved over unfortunately (done some time back in the 70s I believe), but needs a bit of TLC. I quite agree with you about not losing front gardens if possible - you're right about flooding, and it also makes houses more prone to subsidence.

brian

21-11-2007 04:13 PM

Thanks . Regret I cannot recommend a builder for that type of work but good luck.

Sherwood

21-11-2007 04:58 PM

Try to make sure that you allow the rain to soak into your garden as I have done.

thenutfield

21-11-2007 11:04 PM

ditch the drive-way and reinstate your front garden! driveways are bad for the environment (flood risk, building materials, loss of habitat for wildlife), and imagine how lovely your home could look with railings or a fence at the front, then a pretty garden. Cars parked in the street slow down traffic too, which benefits everyone. take a look at
http://www.bringfrontsback.com/Home.html

bring back the front!!

Fish Face

25-11-2007 12:27 PM

Build the driveway!!Thumbsup

Having a front garden means you have to park in the road, therefore being more prone to knocks, bashing your wheel on the kerb, key-scratchers and car-thiefs. Also makes it more dangerous for people crossing the road as their vision is impaired. Cool

The nature will be fine, it will just move it's stuff to places like the Horniman. Besides, there are plenty of trees around the streets of FH if you like looking at birds and squirrels. Smile

Sherwood

25-11-2007 12:32 PM

I suggest you look around where other people have drives. Sometimes the builders leave a notice.
Or if you see a drive that looks good, you could ask the people who built it.

millesens

25-11-2007 01:54 PM

Unfortunately more and more trees on those "quiet and residential tree lined roads of Forest Hill" have been removed for people's driveways to be laid. When the Council gives planning permission (in 99% of the cases) they should arrange for another tree to be planted to replace the one cut down, obviously in a new suitable location on the pavement. This NEVER happens. As many of these streets and roads are not protected by Conservation Areas status the Council really doesn?t seem to care. And there we are witnessing the ?deforestation? of the trees on our streets at the silent hands of our local government and for the sole benefit of individual residents over the interests of our community. So this is one of my appeal to you all, have your driveways built but if there are trees to be removed from public ways make sure that a suitable replacement is planted.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Front Driveways Jane2 5 6,271 12-03-2013 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jane2