SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Searching for english relatives
carold

19-04-2009 04:22 AM

i am looking for my english relatives. i live in south australia and have recently found info re cousin carol monk(nee driver) husband michael monk, if anyone can help i would be most gratful....carold

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

19-04-2009 07:24 AM

Hello and good to have people from South Australia on the site.
You will probably need a little more info to be able to proceed. Have you any idea where in the UK ,any other relations of them , approx age , married , children etc etc.

carold

19-04-2009 07:51 AM

hello brian, thanks for your response. may i ask who you are, is this your job ? i dont like the thought of giving out too much info until i know who i am talking to. i know this is probably a secure site, but i have not used anything like this before, so i dont really know what i'm doing or what to expect !!

Redalways

19-04-2009 08:17 AM

Carol

Unless you know that they live in this area ie London Se23 and you can give more information it is unlikely you can get help using this forum, if you can be more specific would be helpful

Smile

carold

19-04-2009 09:03 AM

ok here we go.doreen was my fathers sister,their surname was driver.doreen's last married name was anderson,she married sam anderson. she had several children, in 1952 she had sandra who 1996 lived in new orleans ,1954 pearl, 1956 paul. i also believe there is a son lawrence and from what i believe there were a few more,they lived in manchester for a while.they finally settled in caister,in norfolk. pearl went to live in louisiana,usa(has lived in usa since 1980).
in 2003 my fathers mother, dont know christian name, maiden name bridges,and paul driver were still living in gt.yarmouth area. carol was also a child of doreens. now this is where i started my enquiry. carol(driver) married michael monk at st william of york catholic church forest hill london se23, nov.21st 1964 so i thought i would get in touch with the church, hence i was put onto the forum.
i'm sorry i dont know if they live in this area, i thought the church would keep details of the wedding, have an address, dob details etc.

brian

19-04-2009 12:21 PM

Dear Carol
I am not an expert at family history just interested.

Looking at your details I would think your best policy in to google for the local history sites for Great Yarmouth and Manchester and then e mail them. A lot of these people are very helpfull especially to people from overseas.

There is a connection with this area and South Australia.
Queen Adelaide paid for a number of cottages for elderly watermen in Penge just 1 mile away from here.

The very best of luck.

BT

19-04-2009 03:30 PM

You might like to try the newspaper forums in Norwich/Norfolk for the Caister and Great Yarmouth relatives.
They both have sections for tracing relatives

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/cs/forums/

http://www.edp24.co.uk/cs/forums/

billham

19-04-2009 03:58 PM

Hi Carol

This is a website that concentrates on issues related to an area in south east London. It has nothing to do with family history as such. Unless you know your relatives are in this area it is unlikely anyone here can help much.

A good place to start looking at the subject of researching UK families is:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentci.../index.htm

I hope you make progress. My mother who lives in Scotland and is 81 has carried out a lot of research on her own and other families and has just returned from a trip to New Zealand meeting distant relatives there, so who knows!

steveb

20-04-2009 07:07 AM

Hi Carol

The St william of york catholic church has a website http://www.stwoy.org/ which has contact details. They will have registers of marriages.

carold

20-04-2009 11:13 AM

thanks brian i will take your advise onboard, will keep you posted. i work so i can only check my emails at night and we are going on holidays for 10 days at end of week so i will try and make some headway before i go......C

carold

20-04-2009 11:16 AM

thanks steve, have taken note of website, i will try that also......C

carold

20-04-2009 11:21 AM

thanks billham, maybe i will get that trip to england yet !!...C

carold

20-04-2009 11:29 AM

thanks Bt, everyone has been so helpful !, i'm sure i will be able to get a response from the info that has been passed onto me. hope so!! i have'nt done anything like this before, its an interesting journey...C

ForestGump

24-04-2009 12:07 AM

Hello,
Just to let you know, the marriage certificate will not provide a date of birth. It contains the names of the Bride & Groom their ages, their address, occupation, father's name and his occupation. Also names of witnesses plus place and date of the marriage.

The church probably has records of marriages which are usually free to view.

Copies of marriage certificates can be ordered online but there is a fee, see direct.gov.uk/gro for details.

Because the people you are researching are probably still alive I won't put details on display, but......

Just done a quick check and believe I have found the birth registration of Sandra, Pearl, Paul and Carol.

Have also found the registration of Carol Driver's marriage to Michael Monk.

Although the registration details are not required when ordering from the GRO, it removes the chance and cost of being sent the wrong certificate.

Because of the era you are searching you may need to subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk or FindMyPast.com to obtain registration details.

Free databases include FreeBMD which is very good for the period 1837 - 1920. There is also the IGI if looking for family pre 1900, most of the information is based on parish registers.

Sorry to be vague about your family but..... Carol's wedding may not be the only connection with the area.

carold

16-05-2009 08:44 AM

dear forestgump,sorry taken so long to reply, have been on holidays. all i am after is maybe an address so i can write to either pearl,carol,sandra or paul, or an address for carol & michael monk. is there anyway you can give me some more details re any address from marriage certifcate for carol & michale, that might be a start. i'm floundering, not knowing where to go, sorry !!

ForestGump

17-05-2009 03:28 PM

Have sent you mailbox with details with possible additional family members.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields