SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bagel Shop
PVP

18-11-2007 01:50 PM

24 hour bagel shop - received a flyer on this but can't remember the address. Would come in handy when suffering the night bus munchies.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thenutfield

18-11-2007 09:36 PM

pvp wrote:
24 hour bagel shop - received a flyer on this but can't remember the address. Would come in handy when suffering the night bus munchies.

a few doors up from the junction of PV and S Circular. I've never been, I go to bed early so 24 hour society passes me by!

Toffeejim

18-11-2007 11:37 PM

thenutfield wrote:

pvp wrote:

a few doors up from the junction of PV and S Circular. I've never been, I go to bed early so 24 hour society passes me by!

It never seems to be open when I walk past it in the morning, which seems a bit odd for a bakery.

PVP

19-11-2007 09:28 AM

On PV or on the south circular?? I walked past last night and couldn't see anything.

bigjulie

19-11-2007 08:53 PM

A 24 hour shop that doesn't open in the morning?

I thought it was a five minute wonder (and we will all have our 15 minutes of fame)...

robwinton

19-11-2007 09:27 PM

Toffeejim wrote:
It never seems to be open when I walk past it in the morning, which seems a bit odd for a bakery.

I think that the trick to the 24 hour thing is that the person in charge lives above, so you can knock/ring/enter and she can be there 24 hours. It may look closed, but I think that this might be the reason ... not that I have been in there I must admit

I don't believe that this is a bagel bakery as much as a sandwich shop with a fancy name, so not that odd that custom is limited in the morning

millesens

20-11-2007 12:00 AM

Are you talking about the small shop with a shattered glass (well the last time I looked it was) on Perry Vale, same side of Kafe La? If that is a bagel shop/bakery then I don?t know why we bother with naming conventions.

ab3

20-11-2007 01:29 PM

I once went to that sandwich shop. Poor selection (including pretty much nothing for vegetarians), and the person serving took about 5 minutes to make my sandwich (carefully placing every single item on the sandwich as if it was a work of art). I think maybe I had just woken her up as it was about 4am.

PVP

21-11-2007 12:21 PM

Is it near Morleys then? Sorry, I think I'm being thick but I've never seen anything resemembling an open sandwich shop.

Elizabeth25

21-11-2007 03:02 PM

For Pete's Sake! Walk out of Paltform 2 of Forest Hill Station (or walk around under the railway bridge) Turn left onto Perry Vale, cross to the opposite side of the road. Pass EJ Carpets. If you hit the Cafe on the corner of Sunderland Rd you have gone too far. It is a tiny little shop front that says 24 Hour Bagels. It is next to an Afro Carribean hairdresser and barber.

I have never eaten there, so I have no idea if it is good or bad.

millesens

21-11-2007 04:35 PM

Well pvp, if you really must, hopefully you won 't catch anything or end up in A&E with Salmonella. Only joking. I haven't really eaten anything bought from this shop; it all looks very uninspiring and fairly unhygienic. I am always ready to praise local businesses but not for the sake of it. Let?s say that I wouldn?t miss this shop if closed for lack of trade. Incredibly it is always empty, yet still trading.

PVP

21-11-2007 05:21 PM

Sorry all! I was really looking for it last night but was fairly inebriated.

I won't ask again.

Sorry.

calvin

21-11-2007 07:36 PM

It's been there for at least 21 months (as long as I've lived in Forest Hill). I went in for a bagel and they were very nice, but they don't make their bagels, just sandwiches from the bagels, on the premises.

Anyway, it's looked closed for about a week now - not sure if they're on holiday or gone completely.

thenutfield

21-11-2007 07:37 PM

the shutters were down last evening at about half 8. so much for 24 hour!

Rin

21-11-2007 11:02 PM

I went into this bagel shop early in the morning once and asked for 4 bagels. The girl in there looked at me like I had three heads and says 'Bagels? you want just bagels?'
I've never seen anybody coming out of that place eating, and I wonder how they make a living out of just bagels.

robwinton

29-12-2008 02:57 PM

Has anyone noticed that the "24 hour bagel" place on Waldram Park Road/Perry Vale has been (or is being) converted into a tattoo place? Couldn't survive without one of those for too long after all.

Holly

30-12-2008 02:38 AM

I can't say that i am surprised, i went in there drunkenly with a friend one night/morning and the lady didn't seem to understand what a bagel was, we were convinced that it must have been a front for something.

She also had disgustingly long fingernails so couldn't add the fillings (we felt ill after seeing her make it so didn't eat them)

brian

30-12-2008 11:09 AM

Should have sent the Health Inspectors in.
Tatoo's why oh why do people have these. Cannot believe they never regret their action.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields