SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Sign of the times
Ooperlooper

19-11-2007 08:10 PM

Forest Estate sign (on London Road roughly opposite the Tesco garage):

(Thanks to Robwinton for the photo via Flickr.)

Not sure how old this sign is exactly, but it must be at least 21 as the Greater London Council disappeared in 1986.

Rather embarrasing to have this still in place if you ask me, especially on the route that thousands of visitors to the area take to walk up to the Horniman.

And those canvas banners for the Horniman that are covered in exhaust fume grime could do with being replaced.

Anyone agree?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

19-11-2007 09:23 PM

Rolleyes

funny to see my photos pop up here (not that there is anything unique about it) - actually this one is at the very top of Eliot Bank but you are right, there is an identical one at the bottom on London Road

yes, I agree. I took the photo because it surprised me to see something so dated still in place. On the other hand, it has become so old now that it is a part of the history and character rather than simply a dated sign (although we could do with less graffiti)

a bit like us blokes ... at some point we get old. We can either be an 'old ****' or we can be 'venerable'. I suppose it comes down to how much graffiti we are covered with!

bigjulie

19-11-2007 10:08 PM

The design to the left looks like a hill figure (Uffington Horse?)
What a shame Forest Hill isn't made of chalk!

thenutfield

19-11-2007 11:33 PM

nice idea, we could have our very own hillside chalk carving - our version of Cerne Abbas Man.
Any ideas anyone? perhaps an image of the Big Issue seller?

robwinton

19-11-2007 11:41 PM

Or maybe carefully dug trenches in the allotments at One Tree Hill in the shape of a smilie that can only be seen from space!

robwinton

22-11-2007 02:15 PM

Here, for completeness, is the sign on London Road.

I notice it is up for sale, so maybe someone can give it a new home and something a little more up-to-date will replace it!

bigjulie

22-11-2007 02:28 PM

Maybe it can go and live with that squashed pillar box that was sold last week.
These estate agents must be desperate.

I prefer the version without the graffiti.

nevermodern

22-11-2007 02:36 PM

It's a nice font Smile and I must admit, it's all the better not being in the Lewisham Blue Smile

Ooperlooper

22-11-2007 10:28 PM

Strangely, the one at the bottom of the hill (less graffiti but ugly holes where the wood has rotted away) stands next to a more modern sign already.

It annoys me that for the lack of some inexpensive tidying up by the council, Forest Hill give a rather shabby, disheveled impression in places.

Other examples are, as I've mentioned before, the skanky banners for the Horniman that hang from lamposts and the disused bulletin board outside the station in a container overrun by weeds.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields