SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Renovations at Signal Box - Holiday Cottage?
brian

03-04-2009 10:28 AM

Has anyone else noticed the money that seems to have been spent on the old signal box , next to The German Bridge.

This has been derelict for 30 plus years .

Do you think it will be sold as 1 bed appartment ( cottage ). If they could convert a convenience in Devonshire Rd no problem with a signal box , although would have to instal a toilet.

Or could it be a holiday let for train spotters , sorry railway enthusiasts. When the new dockland trains go through what a great spot for them. Also they could explore the delights of the Bird in Hand.

Does anyone know what is going on.???????????????

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PVP

03-04-2009 03:15 PM

I think I know the building you are referring to, but I thought it was a relic of an experimental railway, a steam something or other once discussed many moons ago.

brian

03-04-2009 03:59 PM

No it was signal box which was fully manned until the signaling was totally controlled automatically from London Bridge.
I remember the time when we had the old fashioned signals that went up and down and required a box which could see each signal and points.
Do not forget the old lines used for sidings which is now where the so called industrial estate is.
Cannot recall the actual year the lights took over but think could be middle 60's but my memory could be wrong could be earlier or later.

But what are they doing to the old signal box??

Les

03-04-2009 05:26 PM

I don't know, but its concievable that the old signal box is still used as an electrical equipment room for signalling equipment.

Might need a refurb for the East London Line Extension new signalling equipment. I note that a fair amount of new cabling has been laid in the last year.

Its unlike Network Rail to do anything to redundant buildings unless its a safety hazard.

brian

03-04-2009 06:23 PM

Very likely you are correct Les but a holiday home for train spotters sounds so much more interesting.

brian

04-04-2009 03:00 PM

Does at local history expert . I believe Stephen Grindley ( hope I have not got his name wrong ) know the dates
1. Electric signals were introduced making the Signal Box redundant.
2. When the sidings were closed.
3. When the middle platform ceased to be used.

I am sure in my mind I remember all these events but cannot recall years.

bigbadwolf

04-04-2009 03:19 PM

This should answer all your questions Brian. There's even a picture of the control room when it was operational.

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Forest_Hill.html

brian

04-04-2009 04:35 PM

Very many thanks.

Do you know why money is being spent on it now?

brian

05-04-2009 02:56 PM

Had a good look from the footpath and nearly falling down German Bridge.
A very nice passing lady who lived in the flats explained that the renovations had been done because they had squatters .

Pity not a holiday cottage but that's life

Perryman

05-04-2009 07:44 PM

Its only the new cycle channel that is keeping the old bridge up these days. It badly needs maintenance.

From badwolf's website:

Quote:
The siding to the left leads to the goods yard and goods yard head shunt.

Presumably they meant the siding on the right - the goods yard was on the Perry Vale side surely?
Plus it is not clear to me why the signal box here controlled the points south of Sydenham. I would have thought this signal box's main responsibility was controlling the access in and out of the goods yard.

brian

06-04-2009 10:32 AM

Yes I would hate to see The German Bridge closed for safety reasons.
What a long detour. Cannot be long before signs go up , and probably left for years.
Why did they put the cycle things in , it was meant to be a footbridge, not a cycle bridge. How long does it take them to detour.

I agree the sidings were on the Perry Vale side of the line whetre the so called Industrial estate is.

There was a signal box on the same site as the old Sydenham Station up side. I believe though the German Bridge SBox did contril the Palace branch line for its last few years in operation . It was a much more modern box that the Sydenham one.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields