SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
The Railway Telegraph
brian

27-03-2009 03:42 PM

Interested in The Railway Telegraph being under new management. Used to be a fine Ale Pub in 70's and in the really bad fizz era the RT was a shining beacon of Hope.
Are the serving Bishop's Finger?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
steveb

28-03-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:
Are the serving Bishop's Finger?

Last time I was there, only available in bottles.

But the Spitfire is (probably) the best pint of ale in SE23.Thumbup

brian

28-03-2009 01:39 PM

Used to stock a great Swiss Strong Ale called something like
Samiklaus Ale. Think about 7% .

Pam

30-03-2009 06:58 PM

wE TAKE OVER ON tHURSDAY 9TH APRIL. Shepherd Neame is the country's oldest brewer & we are proud to stock their beers. There's Spitfire, Bishop's Finger & Orangeboom + Holsten - hope to see you. Pam

Pam

30-03-2009 06:59 PM

Hi,

As I haven't taken over yet (not till April 9th) I am unsure whether the beer is in bottles or not. However, we shall be stocking all the popular Shepherd Neame beers - hope to see you soon. Pam

nevermodern

30-03-2009 07:02 PM

Congratulations, Pam Smile Have you got any particular plans for the place?

Pam

30-03-2009 07:15 PM

Hi everyone,

The Railway Telegraph is on the main South Circular in between Forst Hill & Brockley Rise. My son & I will be taking over the pub just before Easter on Thursday 9th April. I want to see the pub involved in community projects as well as catering for a multicultural society.

On the 9th (Maundy Thursday) we will have a DJ in the evening playing Old Skool & Reggae.

On Good Friday there will be free hot cross buns or W.I. bun & cheee during the day as well as Fish for sale from traditional fish & chips to Caribbean style fish. In the evening we have a great DJ called Toxic who will be playing Club Classics. We have a late licence to 2am.

On Easter Saturday, food will be on sale during the day & in the evening it's Party Night with guest DJ's playing a wide mixture of music. Late licence to 2am.

On Easter Sunday as well as food on the menu we have a brilliant Live duo called The Alan Weekes Duo. They will be playing Jazz, Ska & Reggae. Alan has recently been appearing in the hit West End musical 'The Harder they come' & has toured the world with artists such as Janey Kay & Aswad.

In the evening we have DJ Trevor going back in time playing the sounds of Motown.

On Easter Monday curry will be on the menu & there will be an Easter Quiz in the afternoon & finally to finish off the holiday DJ Sylvin will play Old Skool, Reggae, R'n'B in the evening.

We have a lovely large garden & children & families are welcome. We also have a function room for hire. Community events are especially welcome & the function room is available for meeting during the day.

We will be having Karaoke in the near future & I would like to have regular Jam sessions and Comedy nights. The pub already has a pool team & darts team, but we are looking for members, just come in & sign up. We would also like to introduce a Football Team in the near future. Pam

mandy_playbox

30-03-2009 07:32 PM

Are you doing any particular style of Caribbean cooking? I'd be particularly interested in trying out some Trinidadian style food. I have tasted accras (sp?) and they were amazing. I've also heard good things about doubles but have never tasted one.

mandy_playbox

30-03-2009 07:34 PM

Oh... I am assuming Reggae = Jamaican. Never mind. I might still try it out though.

lottie

30-03-2009 07:38 PM

Good luck with the opening Pam will try and pop down for a drink over Easter, you certainly have a lot organised. Any chance of decent selection of Vegetarian dishes?

Pam

30-03-2009 07:52 PM

Well, I am almost a vegetarian myself! Not quite there yet though. Will be doing pasta dishes as well as omelettes, salads, as range of jacket potatoes. Pam

Pam

30-03-2009 07:58 PM

On Sunday's we will be offering the traditional Caribbean dish of chicken, rice & peas as well as curried mutton & rice. We have salt fish & beef patties as snacks. We will also have spicy fried chicken. Pam

brian

31-03-2009 07:42 AM

Yes Pam the very best of luck to you in your new venture.

PVP

31-03-2009 08:37 AM

Please tell me there will be a lager other than Oranjeboom!

brian

31-03-2009 08:47 AM

Also Pam are you allowed guest beers other than Sheps.

Sheps is acceptable but by no means the best. It would be good to have a guest alternative. I know most pubs are allowed by law to do this but not all.

psyche9

01-04-2009 06:00 AM

Hi Pam

That sounds really fantastic - good luck with the venture.

One thing I really like about this pub is the great garden. I am a smoker and garden-lover and very few places round this area have bothered to do anything for us. Indeed, some have even created non-smoking gardens (Brockley Jack) or assume that because we are smokers we won't care about where we sit. Railway Telegraph has a nice big outdoor area and some attractive plants - long may that continue.

Looking forward to Easter.

Pam

01-04-2009 10:18 AM

Thank you for your kind words - I think the smoking area & the garden are a real asset to the pub. Pam

Simod_the_bod

01-04-2009 02:12 PM

I went to the Railway Telegraph a few months ago and was shocked that they stopped showing live football.

Do you have any plans to re-introduce it?
There is a real lack of pubs that show football in SE23, specially this side of the tracks...

doc

01-04-2009 02:44 PM

Hopefully no plans to re-introduce live football or any TV whatsoever. Most people I know avoid such pubs.

brian

01-04-2009 02:45 PM

I do not mind if Pubs show top matches but have been in some when the big screen is showing some Minor League Game. I would rather the screen be blank.
People can always talk to each other, does not seem to as popular pastime as in the past.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Railway Telegraph hasto 53 43,808 29-10-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers