SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Supermarket Shakespeare
michael

26-03-2009 05:35 PM

I got this email today, at first I thought it was a joke, but I think it is serious and I can't stop laughing:

Quote:
TEATRO VIVO

PRESS RELEASE

Supermarket Shakespeare

Directed by Mark Stevenson

Teatro Vivo presents Supermarket Shakespeare, a free performance piece that takes place in Sainsbury's Supermarket, Lee Green and Sainsbury?s Supermarket, Forest Hill

?It was not something we expected from a trip to get the weekly groceries but it certainly made things interesting.? Audience member Supermarket Shakespeare 2008

Inspired by Shakespeare?s sonnet number 91

Some glory in their birth, some in their skill,

Some in their wealth, some in their bodies' force...
six performers will create contemporary characters that have intertwining stories and these will be performed all around the supermarket. Performed whilst the supermarket is open, these stories will show the contemporary relevance of Shakespeare?s work in an accessible and everyday environment.

Shoppers can follow the individual characters and hear how their stories unravel whilst filling up their trolley and choosing their dinner.

?I don't know when I've enjoyed a live performance so much, AND I could simultaneously shop - as a modern Mum, it was perfect.? Audience member Supermarket Shakespeare 2008
Supermarket Shakespeare is FREE to attend. There is no need for audiences to book, they can just turn up.

Teatro Vivo are a performance collective made up of professional directors, writers, musicians and actors who create theatre that breaks free of traditions - they use unusual, non-theatre spaces to bring to life unique interpretations of classic and new writing.

They aim to create unique performance pieces that work in direct collaboration with the spaces that they use, and in so doing, introduce audiences to the possibilities of what theatre can be.

Previous work has included a reworking of Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters at the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden.

They have also created performances in HMV Covent Garden, listed buildings, Libraries, parks, and cafes. Please see the website for further information http://www.teatrovivo.co.uk

Teatro Vivo's style of theatre is an all encompassing experience for audiences of all ages. They aim to breakdown the barriers that traditional theatres put up by inviting audiences to wander through the worlds that they create allowing them their very own experience of the space and the stories told within it.

Supermarket Shakespeare will be directed by one of Teatro Vivo's Associate Artists - Mark Stevenson. Mark has previously directed Fringe First winning shows for Theatre Babel, as well as site specific shows for Ampersand and GLYPT.
Listings

SUPERMARKET SHAKESPEARE
Shakespeare in your local supermarket. Characters from Shakespeare's sonnet No.91 take over two South London Supermarkets to celebrate his birthday on the 23rd April.

Directed by Mark Stevenson
Produced by Teatro Vivo
Cast includes Kas Darley, Laura Hooper, Natasha Magigi

Sainsbury?s Supermarket
Forest Hill
34 - 48 London Road, London, SE23 3HF
Tuesday 28th April 6.30pm
Wednesday 29th April 6.30pm
Thursday 30th April 6.30pm
Friday 1st May 6.30pm
Saturday 2nd May 12pm & 6pm
Sunday 3rd May 12pm & 3pm
Tickets: FREE. No need to book. Just turn up.
Performance Length: 1 hour.
http://www.teatrovivo.co.uk

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lottie

26-03-2009 06:16 PM

Hi Iam glad you warned me If its like the intertwined theatre on occasion at Hampton Court Palace where the actors apear out of nowhere down a corridor it could freak a few people out! Looking forward to it

roz

26-03-2009 07:25 PM

Me too; I saw a bit about this on the news a while back. Good fun!

christianna

27-03-2009 11:30 AM

Have seen this theatre group before at the Horniman Museum and they are utterly brilliant. Go and enjoy!

spud

27-03-2009 01:24 PM

Odd choice of Sainsburys sites though.

Surely the one by Dulwich Hamlet would have been more appropriate?

I'll get my cape...

christianna

27-03-2009 02:51 PM

...and I my farthingale !

Johnc

27-03-2009 03:56 PM

Theres no need to make a fuss its much ado about nothing

christianna

27-03-2009 09:12 PM

All the world's a stage-including Sainsburys!

essjaygee

30-03-2009 09:55 AM

This went down a storm at Lee Green Sainsbury's last year.

Please go and support this lot as they are fantastic!

Thumbsup

essjaygee

30-03-2009 10:01 AM

And - the director Mark Stephenson is a Forest Hillian (Hillite?) himself so this is [Royston Vasey] local talent. [/Royston Vasey]

Cellar Door

31-03-2009 10:22 AM

essjaygee wrote:
And - the director Mark Stephenson is a Forest Hillian (Hillite?)?

Try ?Forest Hillbilly?.

nevermodern

30-04-2009 03:45 PM

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Supermarket Shakespeare/Teatro Vivo in FH Scorpion 2 3,944 03-05-2010 02:09 PM
Last Post: Davidsroadperson