SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Feedback on proposed name
MFR

17-03-2009 12:19 PM

HI

I wanted to canvass opinion on a proposed name for a business and please be honest if you think the name works for a food business or not
The business currently makes high quality, natural, fresh chilled tomato based and pesto sauces for pasta and fresh salsas. We are planning to expand into other food ranges and therefore want a name that has conotations of good quality and healthy foods etc.

The proposed names is

The Gourman Company
or
Gourman - The Sauce Company

If you have any other suggestions that would be appreciated

Thank you

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PackOfDusters

17-03-2009 12:51 PM

I don't mean to sound snotty, but do you mean gourmand rather than gourman? If so, sounds good. If not, um what is gourman? Blush

MFR

17-03-2009 01:36 PM

Not using the word "Gourmand" as it has negetive conotations, it refers to someone who eats too much and gorges on food and is unhealthy

Foresters

17-03-2009 02:31 PM

Surely, then, the word 'Gourman' will have the same negative connotations - by association with the word "Gourmand" - since it is just one letter away? Or am I missing something?

Gaz

17-03-2009 02:34 PM

I'm afraid I just don't get it. Gourman means nothing to me to imply food unless one infers 'gourman' from this (which leads you back to the negative connotations).

I think your 2nd option of "Gourman - The Sauce Company" is better as it identifies the company's business.

If there isn't a particular reason why you have chosen Gourman, perhaps it would be better to use another word altogether though (perhaps Gourmet)?

Foresters

17-03-2009 02:42 PM

How about just "The Sauce Company" - I can almost taste it (and see the logo)!

roz

17-03-2009 02:56 PM

How about Presto Pesto? Basil Palace? The Little Sauce Company?
( this also seems to work better with ' little' or some other dimunitive adjective in the title).

I honestly can't see Gourman working around here. It sounds to me like ' gunman' which also has negative south london connotations. It is too difficult to pronounce.

I think you should look at those words which get the mouth watering by association there is a name for them but I can;t remember! The Lemon Grove is an example of an attractive name, but as far as I can recall, they don't sell lemons or lemon based food, nor do many lemons grow in Vietnam.

I think it also makes a difference whether your business is one of manufacture and distribution or whether you are looking for a shop name.

AMFM

17-03-2009 04:00 PM

Have to agree with others about the name - Gourman just doesn't work - I would assume that you didn't know how to spell and that would irritate me to the extent that I wouldn't buy it.

Bonnie Blue

17-03-2009 04:27 PM

You should always choose a name that tells people exactly what you do

obscure names just confuse people and they instantly lose interest

If you are making Pesto then call it Pesto Palace or something along those lines

There used to be a hairdressers in Forest Hill on that bad corner called Mirror Mirror
presumably, to me, on the wall who is the fairest etc
BUT
other people thought it was a mirror company and just moved on

Bonnie Blue

17-03-2009 04:30 PM

How about just "The Sauce Company" - I can almost taste it (and see the logo)!

I agree with this one - It may sound boring but at least we know what you are about without thinking........unless you are looking for ketchup of courseUnsure

Jon Lloyd

17-03-2009 05:06 PM

Saucy by name

psyche9

18-03-2009 06:42 AM

I agree that 'The Sauce Company' is better than Gourman. Some names have the ability to irritate so much that I avoid the product. Gourman would be one such.

MFR

18-03-2009 08:45 AM

THank you for your comments. I do like Roz's suggestion of "The Little Sauce Company" as it as it evokes thoughts of homemade and quality.

How does the name TRY IT Sauces grab you, used with bold branding ?

Happysnapper

18-03-2009 12:35 PM

I think it sounds a bit tacky to be honest and I don't like names in capital letters like that - it's like someone is ordering me to do it and I don't repsond well to that!

I also actually love the name 'The Little Sauce Company' - it makes the product sound tasty, it sounds local, home-made, healthy and wholesome. Which by the sounds of it is the kind of prduct you have.

'TRY IT Sauces' has connotations of Chicken Tonight for me I'm afraid....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
acer

18-03-2009 02:24 PM

Also not keen on TRY IT Sauces for a brand name... odd concept in writing, but when you say it aloud it sounds like 'trite' sauces... probably not the image you are wanting to convey.

Bonnie Blue

18-03-2009 04:30 PM

I like the Little Sauce Company best so far
I don't like TRY IT at all I'm afraidBlush

Ghis

18-03-2009 04:51 PM

There is a Little Sauce Factory restaurant so they may have trade marked the name already for the different food categories. Worth checking maybe.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields