SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Foreign players in the Premier League
Ooperlooper

15-11-2007 07:59 PM

Every time I stray onto the football pages of a paper I read about another hack, manager, player or pundit blaming the England team's flacid performances on the number of foreign players in the Premier League.

Do I not like that.

It seems to be utter bilge for two reasons:
a) Surely English players benefit from playing alongside the best, as in any comparable situation in sport or life in general.
b) There's nothing stopping English players from going to play abroad if they want to play in the best team that will have them.

Indeed, I think it's quite likely that the almost total lack of non-English footballing experience amongst the England squad is probably one of the reasons they flop.

Mind you, I guess it might be hard for a player to get a decent pie at half time on the continent.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoppy

15-11-2007 08:46 PM

no. what about the kids?

Ooperlooper

15-11-2007 09:06 PM

You mean the players' kids?

hoppy

15-11-2007 10:01 PM

all kids - grass roots stuff

thenutfield

15-11-2007 10:54 PM

go and join some dumb football forum, you lot. I didnt log onto se23.com to read posts about the worlds most boring sport. who cares where the players come from??

admin
Administrator

15-11-2007 11:13 PM

thenutfield wrote:
go and join some dumb football forum, you lot. I didnt log onto se23.com to read posts about the worlds most boring sport. who cares where the players come from??

Beyond SE23 is for discussion of anything not relating only to SE23.
SE23 Topics is our own Premier League and no foreign topics appear there. Smile

roz

15-11-2007 11:47 PM

The first time I read OL's post I could have sworn it read as follows;

[/i]
Every time I stray onto the football pages of a paper I read about another hack, manager, plumber or pundit blaming the England team's flacid performances on the number of foreign plumbers in the Premier League.

Do I not like that.

It seems to be utter bilge for two reasons:
a) Surely English plumbers[i] benefit from working alongside the best, as in any comparable situation in sport or life in general.
b) There's nothing stopping English plumbers
from going to work abroad if they want to work[/i] in the best team that will have them.

Indeed, I think it's quite likely that the almost total lack of non-English footballing experience amongst the England squad is probably one of the reasons they flop.

Mind you, I guess it might be hard for a plumber[/i]to get a decent pie at half time on the continent.

I clearly have confused this with [/i]another wonderful thread.

Ooperlooper

16-11-2007 07:18 AM

How is having world class foreign players playing in this country harming our kids?

PVP

16-11-2007 01:35 PM

Bring back the 80's - a team of loafers who looked like donkeys when we played a half decent international team.

Ooperlooper

22-11-2007 10:58 PM

England out of the Cup. I told you so.

A bit of time playing overseas would toughen future England players up a bit and enable them to play formations other than 4-4-2 and tactics other than giving it to Beckham to hoof in a cross from the wing.

On a more local bent, how come Peter Crouch (who used to play for Dulwich Hamlet - there's the local bit) with a staggering 14 goals in 24 appearances (a better ratio than any recent England player except Gary Lineker, including Owen and Shearer), many of which have not even been full games, isn't an automatic first XI selection? Surely it's heightism.

roz

22-11-2007 11:41 PM

Ooperlooper wrote:
England out of the Cup. I told you so.

A bit of time playing overseas would toughen future England players up a bit and enable them to play formations other than 4-4-2 and tactics other than giving it to Beckham to hoof in a cross from the wing.

In a more local bent, how come Peter Crouch (who used to play for Dulwich Hamlet - there's the local bit) with a staggering 14 goals in 24 appearances (a better ratio than any recent England player except Gary Lineker, including Owen and Shearer), many of which have not even been full games, isn't an automatic first XI selection? Surely it's heightism.

English football has been on a downer for a long long time and is very painful to watch. Too many overpaid prima donnas and not enough team players. Ref Greece in 2004 - few starlets but a great team approach hence the well deserved win.
My money's on Martin O Neill - doubt if Mourinho will come back after all that poodle snatching.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Local Premier league team support Perryman 2 5,209 27-01-2013 08:59 PM
Last Post: Deano