SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cupcake-ry?
raspberryfool

10-03-2009 11:09 PM

Since the Med Deli has closed, does anyone have any idea what is happening with the space? What are people's thoughts towards an upscale cupcake/cake shop in HOP? Something with a kiosk for tea/coffee on the way to the train...and a discount for using your own travel mug?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Rolleyes

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
acer

11-03-2009 09:48 AM

mmmmm cake..... I think it sounds like a great idea. Are you asking because that is what you would like to see in the area, or because you are thinking of opening said cake shop yourself?

raspberryfool

11-03-2009 11:10 AM

I'm thinking of opening said cupcake shop myself. Might be just a pipe dream, so I just want to get some feel for local opinion before I take the plunge!

Ghis

11-03-2009 12:14 PM

It is a great idea but you may need to diversify. A friend of mine has started doing a cakes/cupcakes/cookies company in South Africa for parties etc and it is fab. So you could have the shop based business but also cater for parties and deliver from the shop.
You would need to have more things to buy in the morning: Muffins, flapjacks, croissants, etc and be open from 7am.
I am wheat intolerant and lactose intolerant so I may not be very representative of your target clientelle anyway but do sometimes indulge in cupcakes and bare the consequences.
Fresh fruit juices would be nice too.

raspberryfool

11-03-2009 03:55 PM

Thanks for sharing those ideas! We would definately offer more than just cupcakes for various reasons, but especially because in London they tend to be more of a trend item and we want to be in HOP for the long run! We want to open around 6 to serve the early risers and those off to work early who want a quick breakfast bar/breakfast muffin and coffee to go.

I am very willing to try out wheat/gluten/soy/dairy/nut-free 'alternatives', but my concern would be having to bake these off-premises to ensure they are from a wheat/gluten/soy/dairy/nut-free kitchen...

Does anyone have any information on the florist (Into The Fuchusia)? What happened,why,when?

admin
Administrator

11-03-2009 04:08 PM

Info on the florist is here.

Ghis

11-03-2009 05:57 PM

Re the wheat/gluten/soy/dairy/nut-free 'alternatives'. I used to get lunch near Covent Garden from a Morocan place who did wheat/gluten free savoury (roasted vegetable muffins) and sweet muffins (berries etc) which were delicious.
I am not allergic but have food intolerances so even if they are baked on the premises, it would not be a problem for people like me but would really help.

I also would love a place selling lunch based on the "tiffin lunch" basis, i.e. you get your lunch in a reusable container which you bring back the next time you get lunch. (You would pay a deposit for the container).

Contrary Mary

11-03-2009 06:05 PM

raspberry fool:

I'd like to private message you details of a supplier for wheat-free cupcakes, who has seen the thread and is keen for you to get in contact - please enable private messaging? Smile

raspberryfool

11-03-2009 10:14 PM

Thank you, Contrary Mary. I am actually hopign to make everything on-site, but contacts are always useful!

Contrary Mary

11-03-2009 10:28 PM

Hiya,

PM to follow...

I don't think admin approves of potential 'advertising' within discussion threads, which is why I didn't want to post the details up here. Smile

bobby

18-03-2009 10:27 PM

I think it's a great idea especially if you have some space for people to sit in and have cake and coffee. There are so many mums and babies around in the day in Honor Oak but nowhere decent to meet and have a coffee. I tend to go down to East Dulwich instead which is what most people I know do. As long as you have a little bit of space for pushchairs, a couple of highchairs and a baby change table in the loo, you should have plenty of willing customers.

johnnysmum

21-03-2009 08:48 PM

This is a FANTASTIC idea. Please, please do it! I'm sure you'd be very popular during the day with local mums. There are so many of us in SE23 who would love to have somewhere really nice to go for coffee and cake and there just isn't anywhere great at the moment. I can see myself in there every day!

nickid

30-03-2009 09:27 PM

I agree, fantastic idea! It would be a lovely addition to the parade Smile I remember the guy from the deli saying he couldn't get a license for people to sit in the deli though because there were apparently already too many eateries on the street?? Don't know if this is true but you might want to look into it.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields