SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill ?100,000 Benefit Fraudsters Jailed
ForestGump

31-03-2009 06:46 AM

From the Council website.

Quote:
Two people, who fraudulently claimed almost ?100,000 in benefits from Lewisham Council, have been prosecuted and sent to prison for a total of three years, following a hearing at Woolwich Crown Court on 27 March 2009.

David Simpkiss and Xuan Anh Bui, both of Vestris Road in Forest Hill, south east London, admitted acting together to defraud the Council and pled guilty to all charges.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

31-03-2009 07:39 AM

A number of questions come to mind.

How could they get away with it for such a large sum. Either system is c**p or someone has failed. Seems another reason for ID cards and benefit claimants should collect in person at all times.

3 years , probably out in 18 months or even less for GBP 100k . Seems incredibly leniant to me.

Have we got all the money back.

Gep

31-03-2009 11:33 AM

What's the point of sending them to jail? That way the taxpayer will have to pick up the bill for their food and accomodation. I think they should be forced to work for free for the Council for the next 10 years!

brian

31-03-2009 11:45 AM

Interesting idea but guess against their human rights. What job would you suggest ?
I agree prison seems very expensive .

Baboonery

31-03-2009 01:54 PM

I'm sure you'd both be bouncing with delight at a "CONVICTED FRAUDSTERS ESCAPE JAIL AND GET COUNCIL JOB" headline.

Gep

31-03-2009 02:29 PM

I suggest working for Lewisham Homes, cleaning ans sweeping the council estates.

Also if they do have a job (although unpaid) I assume they won't qualify for unemployment benefits!

Airguitarman

02-04-2009 09:44 PM

Why ID cards and what do you expect the benefits to be?

brian

03-04-2009 11:41 AM

About 10 years I lived in a flat locally with another flat below having a shared letter box.
Some dubious people moved in for about 6 months. There were 2 of them but there were numerous letters from the benefit office , about 9 names , sending our hard earbed money to these crooks.

When they left letters continued so took them into F H Job Centre and pointed out there failings but they did not seem to care.

Surely these crims were claiming for many different ID's. If we all had ID Cards or all had DNA on national data base any duplicate claims would show up at once.

Come on HMG I am sure most honest persons would have no problem with ID Cards or DNA . Think DNA would be cheaper and more reliable.

I will imagine I will now get a torrent of abuse , but that's life.

Cellar Door

03-04-2009 11:59 AM

Gep wrote:
I think they should be forced to work for free for the Council for the next 10 years!

Gep wrote:
I suggest working for Lewisham Homes, cleaning and sweeping the council estates.

I feel that I understand the sentiment behind your suggestions, Gep. I would suggest caution though.

Consider this - your suggestion might put paid employees at Lewisham Homes who clean and sweep out of a job (either current or future employees), would it not?

And what kind of effort would they put in? They'd be nightmarish to supervise, I would imagine.

If this suggestion was replicated on a large scale, then unemployment would rise and, naturally, tax receipts would decrease.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields