SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Tanning
brian

08-04-2009 11:48 AM

News today of vast increase in skin cancer in young people mainly after tanning shops.
Beggars belief why people would inflict this on themselves.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

08-04-2009 12:07 PM

Why do people smoke?
Why do people drink excessively?
Why do people eat excessively?

That's an adiction where people see the instant result but not the long term consequences.

For all of those, when things go to far, it is a often a combination of poor self-esteem, peer pressure (back to poor self-esteem really here) and being prone to becoming addicted to whatever make them "feel" or "look better" (once a again something perceived hence if you suffer from poor self-esteem then this is distorted).

For anyone perceived to be vain, there is really just a very insecure person.

But then, when I was a teenager I do remember sunbathing all through the summer without any sunscreen on either. Something you would never find me doing now.

Did anyone watch the documentary about the impact of teenagers on the NHS last nigtht? I did not but was almost tempted to but then thought that I did not need anymore bad news.

We are doomed I tell you, doomed! Doomed!

brian

08-04-2009 01:20 PM

Good points Ghis.

Bonnie Blue

13-04-2009 06:36 PM

I don't think everybody who does these things has poor self esteem
They just like doing what they enjoy
Young girls see the 'WAGS' all tanned and blonded and they have the sort of lives with sporting types that youngters aspire to it seems like a good way to get rich without working

There is an obsession with being thin and someone said to me that she would rather smoke than be FAT!!
I think drinking has a lot to do with self confidence George Best said it made him feel more confident
some people just like the taste

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields