SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
SE23.com welcome picture
nevermodern

15-11-2007 02:59 PM

Was wondering what people thought of maybe changing the picture that welcomes you to the site? Not that the current one isn't really nice (credited to Andy Beach - a lovely pic) but it would be nice maybe to show off some of the photographic talent we have on the site. We could even have a thread that displays a variety of pics and vote on which one we want to display, and keep it there for two months or so - kind of like the empty trafalgar square plinth! The only rule would be that the photo is taken somewhere within the SE23 borders. It would be nice for newcomers to the site to see all parts of FH, and it would be a talking point for the forum, too Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hilltopgeneral

15-11-2007 03:03 PM

If I remember correctly then (many years ago) there was a different pic and I among others asked if we could have a nicer one. Not sure this is what caused the change so I hesitate to claim credit, though.

I'm sure the administrator would be open to suggestions. Rob Winton has some good pics.

Ian

15-11-2007 03:36 PM

My old Mum has a nice collection of old postcards she has collected over the years, most are from 1900-1910 (ish?) Forest Hill, Dulwich etc. I must buy a scanner and make up some .jpg's. Many of these I haven't seen online or in books.

OR...(Rubbing hands together)
Maybe I should have them blown up, put them into a nice frame and sell them at an over
inflated price to the new 'wizz-bang-trendy-types' that are moving into the area? I could get a market pitch in New Cross Road and sell them to the yummy-mummy's who have more money than sense. Nice conversation piece at dinner parties.

Mmmm, ...then I could afford that nice 30k Hummer I've got my eye on.

One loud voice can make a difference !
admin
Administrator

15-11-2007 03:41 PM

nevermodern wrote:
We could even have a thread that displays a variety of pics and vote on which one we want to display, and keep it there for two months or so - kind of like the empty trafalgar square plinth! The only rule would be that the photo is taken somewhere within the SE23 borders.

Great idea - to keep things manageable I suggest one pic to be submitted on this thread per member (unless there's a scarcity of pics, when the quota will magically rise Smile)

If anyone has problems showing their picture inside their post, just attach it to your post instead and I'll do it for you.

When it looks like we have enough pictures I'll create a poll.

admin
Administrator

15-11-2007 03:51 PM

Ian wrote:
My old Mum has a nice collection of old postcards she has collected over the years, most are from 1900-1910 (ish?) Forest Hill, Dulwich etc. I must buy a scanner and make up some .jpg's. Many of these I haven't seen online or in books.

Just an idea - if you scan and email them I'd be happy to create a special page in the Features section. Or maybe I could arrange to meet you and scan them here.

Ian wrote:
OR...(Rubbing hands together)
Maybe I should have them blown up, put them into a nice frame and sell them at an over
inflated price to the new 'wizz-bang-trendy-types' that are moving into the area? I could get a market pitch in New Cross Road and sell them to the yummy-mummy's who have more money than sense. Nice conversation piece at dinner parties.

Think of it as an advertisement for your sale. Wink

admin
Administrator

15-11-2007 04:10 PM

If ok with the members in the picture poll, I could liberally scatter the runner-up photos around the site to brighten up the place, all credited with usernames.

Ian

15-11-2007 04:10 PM

The nice Mr.Admin said:
"Just an idea - if you scan and email them I'd be happy to create a
special page in the Features section. Or maybe I could arrange to
meet you and scan them here."

I'll get her to dig them out.
Hope you don't live on the wrong side of the tracks?
I'm not going over there on my own !
I'll get a scanner and I'll do them, got to get one anyway.

The nice Mr.Admin also said:
"Think of it as an advertisement for your sale"

Mmm, ..I can smell the co2 coming from the exhaust already.

Scorpion

15-11-2007 05:32 PM

Sounds good - any pics of the area from any era would be appreciated here
Sue

shzl400

16-11-2007 10:13 AM

There is an SE23 site on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=se23
to which I note that robwinton is a contributor!

stevegrindlay

16-11-2007 05:32 PM

shzl400 wrote:
There is an SE23 site on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=se23
to which I note that robwinton is a contributor!

Prompted by shzl400's plug for the site, I've uploaded some pictures, mostly early postcards of London Road, to the SE23 group on Flickr. I could add more (many more) if people are interested.

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
stevegrindlay

16-11-2007 05:37 PM

Actually, I think might be a better one to the Forest Hill SE23 group on Flickr

robwinton

16-11-2007 06:00 PM

stevegrindlay wrote:
Actually, I think might be a better one to the Forest Hill SE23 group on Flickr

I certainly did put some photos in that group and I would have thought most contributors would be happy to have their photos used on this site (with credits).

I did have a look through my photos quickly when I first read this post (great idea) but most of my photos seem to be about specific places or buildings rather than saying something about FH as a whole. However, I shall set myself a challenge to take something suitable and post it here for future consideration.

nevermodern

16-11-2007 06:35 PM

I think specific places would be nice Smile As long as we change every two months or so. It would be nice, maybe to get a sense of the change of seasons or something as we go through the year. Some of the photos on Flikr would be perfect, I think Smile

admin
Administrator

16-11-2007 07:47 PM

Of course it'd be wonderful whichever way it's done, though I'd suggest that to avoid fruitless searches maybe picture owners could let us know beforehand whether their work appearing elsewhere may be considered for inclusion (credited) on SE23.com?

Thanks go to robwinton in advance for a possible special commission. Cool

stevegrindlay? Others?

stevegrindlay

16-11-2007 09:29 PM

admin wrote:
Of course it'd be wonderful whichever way it's done, though I'd suggest that to avoid fruitless searches maybe picture owners could let us know beforehand whether their work appearing elsewhere may be considered for inclusion (credited) on SE23.com?

Thanks go to robwinton in advance for a possible special commission. Cool

stevegrindlay? Others?

My Flickr pictures are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindlay/

I have some 500 postcards of Forest Hill and Sydenham and am gradually uploading them to Flickr. There is, I'm fairly sure, no problem about using any of those that I've so far uploaded.

Ian

17-11-2007 08:59 AM

"I have some 500 postcards of Forest Hill and Sydenham and am gradually uploading them to Flickr"

Nice one Steve, it saves me from doing them.

shzl400

17-11-2007 11:19 PM

My beloved (zx9) has uploaded a few of his recent snaps on the Flickr site - use 'em if you want!

I particularly like the concept of Lewisham mowing Blythe Hill in November and after a frost - the pic's quite good too.....

robwinton

19-11-2007 09:30 AM

shzl400 wrote:
My beloved (zx9) has uploaded a few of his recent snaps on the Flickr site - use 'em if you want!

I particularly like the concept of Lewisham mowing Blythe Hill in November and after a frost - the pic's quite good too.....

@shzl400 - There are some great photos there - I think the runner (BlytheHilFrost6v2) is probably my favourite.

@stevegrindlay - I always look froward to the postcards you put up (I hadn't realised there had been a little Tesco on Dartmouth road, and it was a surprise to see the rail bridge across London Road for the old line running north of the Horniman).

I think there should be a whole section on this site for such gems so we can put the development of FH in context. It always surprises me to see the beautiful awnings and elegant shoppers of the early 20th century.

robwinton

21-11-2007 12:49 PM

I managed to take a few nice photos this morning as the sky was so clear (in anticipation of more rain presumably), which I have uploaded to the Forest Hill group on Flickr if you are interested

I've attached one for starters

click here for larger original

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

nevermodern

21-11-2007 01:33 PM

That's lovely, Rob.

Admin, can you do portrait and landscape for our main page, or are we limited to landscape?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favourite SE23 Google Map Picture Perryman 16 15,814 23-03-2009 04:59 PM
Last Post: Happysnapper