SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Tips on tips?
BarCar

07-05-2012 11:35 AM

Buy a Hippobag - the cost includes collection.

http://www.hippobag.co.uk/

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mark2010

07-05-2012 11:41 AM

Probably not the cheapest, but I recently had a load of rubble and broken slabs from some garden work and took them to a commercial operation also based at Landmann Way, HTL Waste. They charged by weight, I think up to a ton was around £20. I was just glad to get it out of the way

derbybill

07-05-2012 05:13 PM

Hardcore (rubble, not the other sort!) is difficult to get rid of legally, and the Lewisham depot will send you away with it and ask you to go to a contractor nearby who will charge you by weight, weighing your car on a weighbridge.
Try the new Southwark Council facility just off the Old Kent Road: lovely undercover space, easy unloading as you drive up to a high level and drop the stuff over a wall into a bay. Lots of my rubble has ended up there and I have not yet been asked for ID although I do have ID as I pay Council taxes in Southwark. Just about anything accepted and helpful staff.

Don't forget that small electrical/electronic equipment can go in the metal bin in Sainsburys Car Park, FH, or at Laurence House Catford.
WEEE stands for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (Directive) which is all about proper disposal and recycling of such stuff.

But don't WEEE in the bin!

shzl400

07-05-2012 06:04 PM

Landmann Way are altogether far too sniffy about decent people trying to do the right thing by recycling and make you feel positively guilty about bringing stuff. And then they're surprised that people fly tip....

Seen rubble (they are keen to point out that you shouldn't call it h*rdc*re, as this could lead to the site getting taken down for being smutty) advertised on Freecycle - or Freegle, as it is round here.

If we've only got a small amount (e.g. picking stones out of the garden), we put a small layer at the bottom of the wheely bin every week over the course of several weeks. Probably naughty, but never had any complaints. Due to high level of recycling, wheely bin is usually 3/4 empty anyway.

This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 06:08 PM by shzl400.

Jane2

08-05-2012 11:52 AM

I too have a load of rubble to dispose of - left in my garden by previous owners. I put it on Freecycle and didn't have any takers although maybe I need to try posting again - people probably don't look past the first couple of pages.

My husband took 10 bags of rubble to the tip in Bromley no problem. They do sometimes ask for proof of residence though. (We still have another 30 bags to get rid of though).

It's ridiculous that Lewisham won't let you take rubble - surely taking it to the tip is the responsible thing to do? If they don't have a way to deal with it, then they need to come up with one! Otherwise people will just fly-tip it, or put it in their wheely bins.

davidl

08-05-2012 02:56 PM

Has anyone actually spoken to a local councillor about the way that the "recycling centre" works? I'd echo the sentiments of some of the posters above - if the council don't provide a legitimate way for people to dispose of these things, it will lead to more and more fly tipping.

I think I might send an email of inquiry to one of our local representatives.

Londondrz

08-05-2012 03:50 PM

You should have recieved a very nice brochure from the council last week telling us how the recycling in Lewisham works. We had one put through our door.

grahamw

09-05-2012 12:54 PM

Hi,

Try Southwark's brand new tip off Old Kent Road (see their website). They take all kinds of stuff including general rubble and household waste.

G

edd

20-05-2012 08:57 PM

Well, a quick update.
Other half (the one with the driving licence) totally unreasonably refused to do the estimated 15 tip runs needed to clear the 30-odd rubble sacks and other general detritus (old giant coldframe, metal poles, concrete posts...). Laugh
So I had a look at the Lewisham list of approved (!) rubble collectors and picked out a bloke called Santos as being nearest to us. He quoted £165 for 500kg of removal of rubble etc, which is what he estimated we had on a drive past. He took the lot, mentioned that it ended up being more like a tonne, but charged the same price and left it spotless. He even took stuff I hadn't expected him to, like some old waste bags full of pebbly topsoil and weeds that had become overgrown after sitting in the front garden for over a year (yes, I am a Bad Neighbour). And he was happy to wait for payment as I was off on a work thing for three days, on the middle of which he took the stuff.
We likee Santos a lot. Love

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields