SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Tips on tips?
Happysnapper

18-02-2009 07:38 PM

Hi there

Does anyone know where the nearesrt rubbish tip is to Forest Hill? Have searched Lewisham website and can't find anything. Have sent them an email so will hopefully hear back soon, but wondered if anyone had any tips on what time they are busy round here etc.

I have two manky armchairs and a dinosaur of a desktop computer to get rid of!

Thanks in advance Smile

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

18-02-2009 07:51 PM

The official site for Lewisham borough residents is Landmann Way SE14.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/R...alSite.htm

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andrewr

18-02-2009 08:43 PM

But you may find the Bromley depot at Churchfields Road Penge more convenient. In theory this is limited to Bromley residents but I've never been asked for ID. http://www.bromley.gov.uk/environment/re..._depot.htm

annsquire66

18-02-2009 09:19 PM

You could try to freecycle them first; it's amazing what people can find uses for. They will come to collect them from you too. An eco friendly free option in these current climes has to be better! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lewishamfreecycle/

Johnc

19-02-2009 07:37 AM

The council will pick up large items like this. They will take 3 for ?15.

ladywotlunches

19-02-2009 12:08 PM

Yes the council will collect (for a fee). But if you were to have a friend on the Southwark side of the border, Southwark council collect things like this for FREE Thumbup(and their council tax rates are cheaper - go figure)

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

19-02-2009 01:25 PM

I've never been asked for ID at Landmann Way...until a couple of weeks ago. I turned up in a family estate car with a toddler, baby and wife in tow. I had an old toilet plus a small amount of laminate flooring in the boot.

One chap was kindly helping me unload when another member of staff marched up to me, got right in my face and started aggressively questioning me about ID, where I lived, postcode etc. He then accused me of being a builder and told me I was illegally dumping commercial waste and that I needed to 'go away' (or words like that) and get a van and commercial waste licence etc. It got quite heated and eventually one of his colleagues dragged him off, telling him to stop being ridiculous. Before, during and after this incident there was a group of four blokes unloading a massive amount of building rubble and clay soil in sacks from two beat up old cars - they didn't seem to be getting any grief.

I only took the old lav to that site as I thought it might be kept for reuse by Lewisham. So my tip is take your ID!

brian

19-02-2009 01:43 PM

Re usuable toilets, interesting.

Applespider

19-02-2009 02:03 PM

Seriously, Lewisham charge for a large waste-pickup? No wonder so many people end up fly-tipping or abandonning things at communal bins at flats etc.

I am on the Southwark side of Wood Vale and we're allowed something like 20 items a year before they start charging, book the pickup online and ta da.

ladywotlunches

19-02-2009 02:37 PM

Applespider, you've just made yourself even more popular! Thumbsup

brian

19-02-2009 03:42 PM

Yes LBC charge. I think it is 3 tems for GBP 15.00 but a lot more for fridges.
Whilst I appreciate this is a cost only the law abiding population pay , the usual suspects just dump it anywhere.

andrewr

19-02-2009 05:28 PM

Another interesting quirk at Landmann Way is that for some reason they will not accept plasterboard, even small quantities. When I asked what I was supposed to do with it, I was told to break it up and put it in the wheelie bin! I only had about 3 square feet amongst numerous bags of removed lath and plaster, assorted bits of timber etc so this seemed completely ridiculous. I do wonder who makes up these 'rules' and why.

Johnc

20-02-2009 07:35 AM

I think LBC charge ?30 per fridge or freezer

wayfarer

20-02-2009 08:20 AM

At Landmann Way I have found that it very much depends on who is on duty. Some of the guys are really helpfully. However, there is one particular individual who would be a prime candidate for a "Jobsworth Award".

Happysnapper

20-02-2009 10:04 AM

Thanks so much everyone - really helpful.

I have had of freecycle and used gumtree a lot, but really - I wouldn't want to inflict these armchairs on anyone!!

Laugh

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jane2

01-03-2009 10:32 AM

The official Lewisham tip is too far away so we actually use the Lambeth tip which is at the bottom of Gypsy Hill. You are of course supposed to have a permit and be a Lambeth resident but we have never been asked for it. It's a pretty basic small tip (but they do have battery recycling).

We also use the Bromley tip if we happen to be driving that way, and yes we have sometimes been asked for a permit, not every time, depends who is there. (Do you know anyone in Bromley you could borrow a permit from?)

It's all a bit ridiculous, I am sure this is what most sensible people do - and I justify it to myself by saying that it's more environmentally friendly to go to the tip that is closest to you rather than the one you are 'officially' supposed to use!

(And yes I am a keen freecycle user, but sometimes the tip is unavoidable).

My other bugbear is garden waste e.g. prunings, clippings etc. I have two compost bins but there is often too much to compost. To get the Council to collect it I have to go to the library, buy the bags (?1 each!), phone for them to be collected, phone again when they still haven't been collected and have been sitting on my driveway for a week ... Many other Councils seem to provide brown wheelie bins for this, why oh why can't ours?

robin orton

01-03-2009 11:09 AM

What's the easiest, cheapest and greenest way for FH people to get rid of small electronic devices which are redundant and/or past repair? I know charities have freepost addresses for mobiles - but what about digital cameras, computer mice etc?

BT

01-03-2009 12:16 PM

"Many other Councils seem to provide brown wheelie bins"

We have Brown bins here in Norfolk for garden rubbish but we have to pay ?39pa for them - and a fortnightly collection.

We have 3 Wheelie bins altogether
One for general rubbish
One for recycling - but no glass
One for garden rubbish
We also have a food waste bin for kitchen & food waste.

brian

01-03-2009 01:56 PM

Seemed to be a new tip today outside the launderette. Not ideal place I would have thought.

edd

07-05-2012 08:58 AM

Just resurrecting an old thread to ask if anyone has any advice on the most enviro friendly/quickest/easiest/cheapest way of getting rid of hardcore, please?

Landmann Way sent my husband off with a flea in his ear for turning up with two bags of rubble Huh, and when I phoned a 'man with a van' who advertised as collecting builders' waste, he told me he charges by weight, and I'd need to weigh it. I can barely lift some of the bags, and have no scales.....

Anyone know someone who can dispose of rubble sacks filled with inert matter, please? Hardcore brick chunks, concrete, bits of paving slab, gravel..... Nothing radioactive/toxic like asbestos as far as I can tell! Just stuff left over from fitting a fireplace in a bricked up wall, and stuff unearthed from the garden when making new beds.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields