SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Class divisions in FH
thenutfield

14-11-2007 09:18 PM

[Split from 'WH Smith - what do you think?' -admin]

I totally disagree about not having WHS in this day an age. The internet and Amazon have thier place but you cant wander up to either on a saturday morning to get a Guardian, Dr Who weekly and a lottery ticket (Ok, I know you can buy a lotteryticket on-line, but where's the fun in that?)

A well run WHS is a nice place to go, and would be a definite step in the right direction towards the paradise FH that we all want (except frosty, see other threads).

PS - I hope, Ian that your final comment is not a dig at me!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ian

14-11-2007 09:26 PM

Eh, what comment ?? Want a fight do you ?
Let's get together with Frosy and Baboonery and have a 'Tag' team.
I'll have Frosy as my partner, he doesn't read the Guardian (That's a dig!!)

One loud voice can make a difference !
Ian

14-11-2007 09:45 PM

A "FH Lifer" not a 10 minute wonder......is my signature.
I can change it to 5 or 15 minutes if you like ??

I have it because I see all these new people coming to Forest Hill
calling it a 'Village' or 'Viberant' or what ever new buzz word is in fashion at
the moment, but to me it's just Forest Hill the place I've lived in all of my life.

The place my parents moved to in the late sixies.
The place I've grown up in
The place I've played in and around when I was a kid.
The place I bought my first flat.
The place I had a great time in when I was a young man.
The place I spend money.

It's not a place that I've moved to because it's the latest fashionable
place to be seen in, it's my home, and I don't like what it's become.
Over hyped and Poncey !!

So there you go, I've said my bit.

RobChik

14-11-2007 09:49 PM

Interesting point, Ian. Is it the middle-class ponciness of these newcomers which you object to, or the fact of their arrival? Not a dig, by the way, I'm genuinely interested. I should have thought that an influx of people would, on balance, be good for the area.

Then again, I would say that. By your standards I am a newcomer, albeit one who arrived in 1998. Wink

thenutfield

14-11-2007 09:57 PM

sorry, i see now that the 'FH Lifer' thingy is your sign-off. i thought you were referring to my newness to FH.

Guardian readers versus daily mail? no contest!

Ian

14-11-2007 10:25 PM

RobChik wrote:
Interesting point, Ian. Is it the middle-class ponciness of these newcomers which you object to, or the fact of their arrival? Not a dig, by the way, I'm genuinely interested. I should have thought that an influx of people would, on balance, be good for the area.

Then again, I would say that. By your standards I am a newcomer, albeit one who arrived in 1998. Wink

The so-called middle-class are the new working class.

If someone has to get up every morning and go to work to pay the mortgage or rent and the bills, then my philosophy is they are working class.

This society and the so-called wealth we see is all false, it's based on credit.
That's what I don't like, call me old fashioned but that's the way it is.
We have a nation of people with Rolls Royce mouths, but they have Skoda bank accounts.

So as you've been here since 1998, I'll put you down as a 9 minute wonder if that's alright with you?

Toffeejim

14-11-2007 10:35 PM

Ian wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone's going to admit to being a three minute wonder.

I'm a bit confused. I've lived in and around the area for years. I am definitely a middle-class ponce though. How do I categorise myself?

michael

15-11-2007 08:39 AM

Ian wrote:

I have it because I see all these new people coming to Forest Hill
calling it a 'Village' or 'Viberant' or what ever new buzz word is in fashion at the moment, but to me it's just Forest Hill the place I've lived in all of my life.

I am also a FH Lifer, but I can remember my mother and her friends describing Forest Hill as "more like a village" back in the late 70s and early 80s. It is something that was special about Forest Hill back then and something we have lost a bit of in recent years (just like villages across the country). Now with more shops, restaurants, and pubs that people want to go to, a healthy Internet forum, a coffee shop, and the Forest Hill Society, we can become more of a community again. This should not be a village where outsiders feel excluded, we should welcome people to the area. Newcomers are not destroying the area, they are helping us to revitalise the area. The new flats in the town centre will significantly improve the numbers of people using local shops and help to keep them open for everybody in the area.

People may come because it is fashionable (not that I really think this is happening), but they stay because of the nice area and the nice people. I welcome the people who have been here for a couple of years and feel part of the community.

vipes

15-11-2007 09:10 AM

I think there is clear social division in Forest Hill, bisected geographically by the railway. I notice a lot more grammatical errors and spelling mistakes among posts from those admitting to be from the eastern side.

michael

15-11-2007 09:38 AM

I don't think you are right about a social division. I have lived on both sides of the railway and regularly visit family and friends on the other side. I was also educated on both sides of the railway, so I don't think either side should take responsibility for my poor grammar, and spelling mistakes I leave to Firefox's spell checker.

Some of the most expensive houses in FH are in Allenby Road, Garlies Road and Vancouver Road, and they rival prices on most roads in 'Upper Dulwich Bottom', with the possible exception of the huge houses in Wood Vale.

The social mix on both sides of the railway keeps Forest Hill an interesting place to live. We have more in common across the railway than we have differences.

I don't want to stop some light-hearted digs across the railway line but we should try to keep them in context and add a little smiley face when we are being deliberately provocative. :-)
Sometime people take things too seriously when written down without the proper context.

vipes

15-11-2007 09:47 AM

But I object to smileys more than poor grammar and spelling. Why make a point and end it with a ludicrous symbol that immediatley undermines it?

nevermodern

15-11-2007 12:09 PM

Did you read Michael's post, vipes?

vipes

15-11-2007 12:29 PM

Yes. Implicit in my response was that I wasn't being deliberately provocative. I think you are, in which case where's your smiley or did you not read Michael's post?

Ian

15-11-2007 02:08 PM

Michael: Where the hell is 'Upper Dulwich Bottom'?

I don't object to anyone moving here, more the merrier but please don't
turn FH into the nauseating East Dulwich.
More people will move here now we have loads of overpriced rabbit hutches
springing up all over the place. As long as they don't become BTL slums
in the future.

I still claim FH has gone down to what it was Twenty years ago.
Take the 'Trendy' and 'Desirable' Wood Vale. (Estate agents words, not mine)
It had a pub and six shops which were trading. Now no pub and
only three shops are now trading. Some Chavs have moved onto the once nice
council estate and drug deals are common place along the road.

Dartmouth Rd in places looks like a ghetto with tacky shops. I'm sure
it wasn't like that in the 70's and 80's?

And I won't even mention the other side of the tracks, no, no, no.

michael

15-11-2007 02:34 PM

Ian wrote:
Michael: Where the hell is 'Upper Dulwich Bottom'?

Upper Dulwich Bottom is a phrase coined on this site by BaggyDave during his fights with ToffeeJim and friends. The phrase refers to an area where people may occasionally be found who think they live in 'East Dulwich Borders' or 'East, East Dulwich', 'the vibrant village of Forest Hill' or even 'Trendy and Desirable Wood Vale'. UDB seems to define this concept quite well and has been in regular use on the forum ever since.

We don't need this type of marketing speak to know that Forest Hill is a great place in it's own right.

Personally I find all the people in Forest Hill lovely and do not have a bad word to say about any of them. I think it might only be BaggyDave who really lives in this strange area of UDB. (no smiley face to avoid offending Vipes)

Similar suggestions have been made that there is an area of 'West Catford' but that is completely ridiculous since I live in that part of Forest Hill.

blushingsnail

15-11-2007 05:33 PM

And don't forget The People's Republic of Southern Forest Hill. Who invented that one?

thenutfield

15-11-2007 11:10 PM

It's official now, the centre of FH is in Perry Vale....just ask Berkley Homes!! Al you lot on the Stanstead road side are in the quaint old town.

Ian

16-11-2007 12:11 AM

thenutfield wrote:
It's official now, the centre of FH is in Perry Vale....just ask Berkley Homes!! Al you lot on the Stanstead road side are in the quaint old town.

What a load of "Gentleman's dangley bits" Never in a million years.Rofl
Berkley Homes are having a "Bubble-bath" with more estate agent speak to bring in the gullible to buy over priced, cheap built **** with a few fancy words. This generation are the biggest sucker's in the planet, but if they are going to make a buck from them, then welldone to the fancy con-men who write this rubbish. There's one born every minute!!

shzl400

16-11-2007 09:43 AM

Ian wrote:

thenutfield wrote:

What a load of "Gentleman's dangley bits" Never in a million years.Rofl
Berkley Homes are having a "Bubble-bath" with more estate agent speak to bring in the gullible to buy over priced, cheap built **** with a few fancy words. This generation are the biggest sucker's in the planet, but if they are going to make a buck from them, then welldone to the fancy con-men who write this rubbish. There's one born every minute!!

When Streamline, the bike shop opposite the Harvester was redeveloped, the estate agents described it as Dulwich - not East Dulwich or Dulwich borders. Insult to FH, I'd say!

Ian

16-11-2007 10:11 AM

shzl400: That is Dulwich, it's SE22

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields