SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Class divisions in FH
Triangle

16-11-2007 10:36 AM

I'm neither a FH Lifer nor a 10 minute wonder, but sadly Ian is correct when he says that FH has gone down compared to twenty years ago. I lived in FH from the mid 1950's until around 1970 and it was an extremely nice place to live.

However, having grown up in SE23 I've stayed in touch and for all the changes I've seen I still think it is a cut above the rest of the SE postcodes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hilltopgeneral

16-11-2007 12:02 PM

Well, apart from numbers 3, 10, 11, 21 and 24.

shzl400

16-11-2007 12:13 PM

Ian wrote:
shzl400: That is Dulwich, it's SE22

Technically true, Ian, but realistically about as much as Perry Vale being the centre of FH, which was the point.

Ian

16-11-2007 12:35 PM

shzl400: How about we call that area (Streamline/Harvester) the "Forest Hill Gateway"?
It's got a trendy ring to it.

One loud voice can make a difference !
michael

16-11-2007 12:50 PM

shzl400 wrote:
Technically true, Ian, but realistically about as much as Perry Vale being the centre of FH, which was the point.

Rob Winton provides a map of SE23 at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8...0d1ba9d055
I have calculated that the geographic centre of SE23 is approximately the junction between Malham and Beadnell Road (or close to the top of Stanstead Road).

If you exclude Honor Oak and One Tree Hill this shifts the centre of 'Forest Hill' to somewhere on Church Rise between Waldram Park and the church (which will please Rob).

Only if you exclude everything east of Brockley Rise can you shift the geographic centre of Forest Hill across the railway line to where the town centre is located.

If you exclude geographic considerations the centre of Forest Hill to me in simply the station. This puts Berkley Homes extremely close to the centre of Forest Hill.

thenutfield

17-11-2007 08:37 AM

but you must all agree, P vale is surely now the cultural centre of FH - what with the 24 hour bagel bake, the car radio hut (is that still there?), Foresters Arms with its classy new outdoor smoking lean-to.....and the new luxury apartments (which are 'highly contemporary' by the way, not just a little bit contemporary!).

From a struggling to be loyal PV resident!!

Ian

17-11-2007 09:13 AM

thenutfield wrote:
but you must all agree, P vale is surely now the cultural centre of FH - what with the 24 hour bagel bake, the car radio hut (is that still there?), Foresters Arms with its classy new outdoor smoking lean-to.....and the new luxury apartments (which are 'highly contemporary' by the way, not just a little bit contemporary!).

From a struggling to be loyal PV resident!!

I must take a walk through the "Tunnel of Doom" and have a look Thumbdown

baggydave

17-11-2007 08:36 PM

UDB? Not my suggestion, I live in Moor Park (which in deed is an area, as is Blythe Hill). That used to include its own train station, confusingly called Honor Oak. My work, if Jamie had been quicker he could have bought the MPT and renamed it the Honor Oak, which in some respects would have been fitting.

However Foxtons now believe I live in South West London. Now there will be a posting, well at least if this site would let me on my other computer (what is happening?)

Anway Honor Oak is a far more interesting place than Forest Hill

shzl400

17-11-2007 11:11 PM

Ian wrote:
shzl400: How about we call that area (Streamline/Harvester) the "Forest Hill Gateway"?
It's got a trendy ring to it.

I like that!

BD, sorry, as a bit of a newbie, I'm lost on your TLA's - UDB? MPT = Moor Park Tavern? And whereabouts is Moor Park?

baggydave

18-11-2007 05:55 PM

TJ; its a 'three minute hero' not 'three minute wonder'.
BD never coined the phrase UDB.
Foxtons have moved us to SW London.

Toffeejim

18-11-2007 08:00 PM

baggydave wrote:
TJ; its a 'three minute hero' not 'three minute wonder'.
BD never coined the phrase UDB.

BD: I thought both terms were used. But I'm happy to bow to your possibly greater erm..... familiarity, with the expression. All part of life in a chilly hilltop yurt I suppose.

And of course you never coined 'UDB'. That one could only have come from the republican side of the tracks.

Ian

18-11-2007 08:04 PM

Moore Park Tavern, was it ever called that ?
The "Moore Park Hotel" on Wood Vale was a very popular and very busy boozer in it's day.

michael

21-11-2007 08:41 AM

michael wrote:

Ian wrote:
Michael: Where the hell is 'Upper Dulwich Bottom'?

Upper Dulwich Bottom is a phrase coined on this site by BaggyDave during his fights with ToffeeJim and friends.

Correction: UDB was coined by TJ, not BD.
Apologies to both for the confusion.

PVP

21-11-2007 12:22 PM

Aaah the good old days. I remember when se23.com was nowt but fields.....

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields