SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Johnc

04-02-2009 08:24 PM

Anyone seen a postman since Saturday - they seem as rare as refuse collectors in Devonshire Rd

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billham

04-02-2009 09:24 PM

Not seen so much as a bill or a circular in Netherby Road. Might easily be the Arctic up here....the snow comes half way up my....shoes.....

Full marks however to my trusty milkman Lee from Dairy Crest. Came through with the goods on Tuesday morning before the world was awake...my milk plus bread, eggs, bacon, juice which I ordered online on Monday night. A lifesaver since I was meant to be going away and had no food in! I vote for Dairy Crest to take over the mail service as well...infinitely more reliable!

SophieBee

04-02-2009 09:30 PM

Ah, now we got post in Brockley Rise today but have not had milk delivered since Saturday. Mind you, it is very icy round here still - even on the road, so I was surprised to see the post arrive today.

I don't envy the postie - just the shuffle along the pavement to the bus stop is enough for me!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisR

04-02-2009 11:41 PM

Post finally delivered in Sunderland Road today, but no refuse collection. Latest update on Lewisham Council website states "Weather and road conditions permitting, we anticipate normal refuse and recycling collections will take place for the rest of the week. We also hope to have crews working at the weekend to clear the backlog of collections that would normally have taken place earlier this week."

psyche9

05-02-2009 06:26 AM

No post in crofton park area for last 3 days!

brian

05-02-2009 08:02 AM

No post since Friday. Do sythpathy for the hardworking post people whi have a very hard job at the best of times.

davidl

05-02-2009 09:22 AM

We had a delivery yesterday - north of Brockley Rise. I think Monday and Tuesday were the only days the postperson missed.

roz

05-02-2009 10:06 AM

Have had nothing since Saturday but hopefully something will arrive today- Thursday.

Tinkerbell

05-02-2009 10:36 AM

No post in Gabriel Street. The gas meter reader however did not miss his round. Have been waiting for a parcel that contains a 60th B'day present for ages, it always happens when you absolutely don't need it.

billham

05-02-2009 10:37 AM

Whilst I do accept that deliveries are more difficult in the current circumstances, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect some sort of service 3 days after 4 inches of snow fell. Checking the Royal Mail website only shows a rather flaccid statement, almost a surrender to the 'power' of nature.

Monday and probably Tuesday I could understand, but it ain't Siberia out there. Postpersons must expect cold or wet weather sometimes like any other outdoor worker. Even if they only do half the run each day it would be something. If there is nothing today I will start to get a bit cheesed off about it. Mad

I am certainly glad I don't have a business reliant on it.

brian

05-02-2009 11:37 AM

According to another web site it is Lewisham Council who have forbid deliveries beacuse of the danger. Could be wrong but what is mentioned.
I am not sure how Her Majesty likes her mail being stopped by a mere
local council.

ladywotlunches

05-02-2009 02:06 PM

Billham, am round the corner from you on Canonbie. Still no post at 2pm Thursday - so its not boding well...

I know its icy, but UPS managed to deliver to me yesterday, with a smile on his face. And like you say, the milkman on Tuesday was just a spectacular effort!

Anyone know if I went to the sorting office, whether they would give me my post? (have a couple of things that I could really do with getting now, almost a week late)

ladywotlunches

05-02-2009 02:18 PM

Update:

Decided to call the post office, and asked re: collecting our own post.

It is up to the delivery office in question (mine is Perry Vale), so you have to phone them.

Number is 08456 112450, and you need option '4'. BUT our 'hard working' posties are only there until 1pm Monday-Friday, and until 12 Saturday, even in these strange times, so won't be able to get the answer to my question (or do anything about it) until tomorrow morning.

And who said email is killing the post service? They seem to be doing a great job by themselves.

Londondrz

05-02-2009 02:22 PM

No post on Mon or Tue however we recieved leaflets from the Conservative Party on Monday. Maybe the leaflet distributors should be given the postal deliveries job?

On the subject of rubbish, our 3 bins are full and we are having to put rubbish bags next to the full bins. Anyone prepared to put on a wager to see if they are removed when the bin men finally turn up?

brian

05-02-2009 03:15 PM

Chances are foxes will break into them first.

ladywotlunches

05-02-2009 03:54 PM

Latest on self collection. Just saw a postie on FH Road, and asked him if we are able to collect our post from the sorting office. His reply "Absolutely - just take some ID and proof of address".

So there you go (although, he may have been a postie from the ED office, as he was on the 'borders')

Applespider

05-02-2009 05:11 PM

It was somewhat more than 4 inches, or at least it was near the top of the hill Wink

Anyhow, I got post on Wood Vale yesterday (although it's the Southwark side of the road) despite the pavement resembling an icerink.

billham

05-02-2009 08:37 PM

Well I must admit I didn't take an inchtape to it but I do live quite high on the hill, near the Canonbie/Netherby junction. I took a fairly close look at undisturbed snow in our bin area and it was 5 inches absolute maximum, less if anything.

Maybe my memory plays tricks but I was brought up in Scotland and as a child I can remember weeks of snow much deeper than this. And I NEVER remember the school being closed, or the park being shut because of 'Health and Safety' reasons. Wellington boots and a balaclava sorted all ills. Rofl

We used to ride bikes without helmets in those days too....Wow

dbboy

06-02-2009 12:10 AM

Still no post on Canonbie, all Royal Mail could say was that because of teh weather only certain parts of teh round had been delivered to. have been posting letters in teh post box in Woodvale by teh "old" post office as the letter box opposit teh junction of Netherby and Vanonbie seems not to be emptied since Saturday. Still had teh silver Sat tag above the box.

As for the bins not surprised we have not seen them, probably back to normal on Monday!!!!

andrewr

06-02-2009 08:44 AM

I expect the 'Road Closed' sign at the bottom of Netherby Road is good enough excuse for no deliveries by the postman. Having said which, ParcelForce managed to deliver to me in Netherby yesterday and DHL the day before. Shocked to hear the Canonbie / Netherby post box is still showing Saturday as the last collection. Canonbie has been clear since Wednesday morning - on the road if not the pavement.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields