SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »
Snow!!!
brian

21-12-2009 05:23 PM

It is not easy to cover all the pavements in 1 or 2 days but thuink they could do better than now.
Pedestrians tend to be 99% local so paying for the gritting.
Motorists many outsiders who are not paying for the service

Grit pavements first please

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

21-12-2009 06:45 PM

If they're going to do pavements on a large scale they'll have to come up with a contraption to spread the grit more quickly. The guy I saw had the grit in a wheeled bin, took some out with a spade then spread it by brushing it off the end of the spade with his hand. At a rate of about 1 metre per minute they'd have to start in August to cover all the pavements!

Fandango

21-12-2009 10:04 PM

Did they grit at all today, or did the council get caught out?

It's carnage out there!

dbboy

21-12-2009 11:50 PM

Just off Forest Hill Road up past Woodvale, no gritting of the road of any kind on any of the turnings, car wheels spinnong and and slidding all over the place.

dipsolala

22-12-2009 12:05 AM

The ever-changing BBC Weather seems to indicate that tonight will not be freezing in this area so perhaps (I'm no Michael Fish) we may 'only' be dealing with slush. Still very slippery stuff.
If anyone sees any random piles of grit.. please think of those on the pavements who are walking and have no four-wheel rubber grip on their two legs. I will certainly be spreading the joy if i see it.

On a brighter note, I traversed South Road again today and saw that the random pile of grit had been spread about..thank you. Whoever that was, it made my, and others, journey to get milk a lot less fraught. Smile

rbmartin

22-12-2009 12:24 AM

Perry Vale resembled an ice rink when I left the station at 6.15pm.

London Road wasn't gritted either, I walked up by Hornimans as the buses were out of action and cars had to be helped up the hill by Sydneham Rise.

Dommy

22-12-2009 09:16 AM

Why are schools now a priority - haven't they all broken up for Christmas?

brian

22-12-2009 04:17 PM

Even if schools were not on holiday cannot understand the logic..
Schoolchildren's bones do not break so easily as pensioners, or so I thought.

Baboonery

22-12-2009 07:38 PM

Pedestrians also tend to injure only themselves if they fall. Motorists can potentially kill many in one go. Including pedestrians. Think.
Schools have to remain open and kids have to be at them, on pain of sanction. Pensioners don't HAVE to go anywhere. Also, pensioners live everywhere, by definition: the school routes that are getting prioirity are only the immediate approaches. Think.
Gritting pavements would have to be done on foot, probably by hand, and the ability to have people on standby for this would be ruinously expensive, with council tax payers picking up the bill in a country where snowfalls of this severity are rare and people moaning about the size of council tax are depressingly common. Think.

Please, just think.

Piles of grit at streetcorners for hand distribution would in all likelihood be redeployed outside one mean-spirited person's door/gate/driveway within seconds. Frankly I trust the council more than I trust the ordinary citizen.

dipsolala

22-12-2009 08:59 PM

quote....without using the quotey button thing due to ignorance...which others on here show quite obviously.

'Pensioners don't HAVE to go anywhere.'

Ahh they must HAVE self-replenishing fridges then. If they have a fridge
They MUST be so happy with, maybe and not neccessarily, only the TV or radio for company, that they don't HAVE to leave their houses for a fleeting moment of compay. They must be so ABLE to afford round the clock heating in freezing temperatures on their huge income. Blimey, them pensioners have all the fun.

If cars, as you say, can kill so many, then don't use them, grit the pavements only and walk. The RTA figures and subsequent deaths would decrease considerably.

Think ...you might want to start (mean spirited) mate Mad

Equality, there's a thing!

robin orton

22-12-2009 10:04 PM

I sent an 'online street fault reporting form' to the council this morning complaining that my street hadn't been gritted. A gritting lorry has just turned up and (I hope) done the business. Well done, Lewisham.

Baboonery

22-12-2009 10:10 PM

You know as well as I do that I meant 'don't have to be anywhere on pain of sanction'. Don't twist my words.

Baboonery

22-12-2009 10:11 PM

In fact, I'd like you to apologise for that mean-spirited and over-emotive misrepresentation of what I said. I'm disgusted.

dipsolala

22-12-2009 10:31 PM

No, I don't know that and I didn't twist anything. Your words are plain to see. If you meant something else then you should have typed it. Not mean spirited, just making people THINK!

Apologise...lol

Baboonery

22-12-2009 10:43 PM

Ok, consider your ridiculous cheap point well and truly scored, and consider my post amended to mean what it obviously meant in the first place. Pathetic.

sandy

22-12-2009 10:45 PM

"I sent an 'online street fault reporting form' to the council this morning complaining that my street hadn't been gritted. A gritting lorry has just turned up and (I hope) done the business. Well done, Lewisham."

Sometimes systems work?

dipsolala

22-12-2009 11:30 PM

not standing for ignorance or ridiculousness lol

dovetail

23-12-2009 12:16 AM

We can all help ourselves and each other to a certain extent.

I've heard that ash from the fireplace can be used as grit for paths. I'll save some and chuck it on the pavement the next time it threatens to snow (though I hope I won't be fined for littering!). And as for pedestrians, it may be worth investing in shoe chains (I kid you not), tried on a pair today and they really do help with walking on ice and snow.

shzl400

23-12-2009 07:23 PM

Baboonery,
1. Schools broke up last Friday (as mentioned by Dommy earlier)
2. They have a habit of closing their doors anyway, if the weather looks dodgy, (or for elections, inset days etc. etc.) leaving working parents in the lurch.... Regrettably, there are no sanctions available to parents in these circumstances.

oryx

23-12-2009 09:10 PM

I sent a form to request gritting for our frozen and dangerous street on Monday (and I believe my neighbour phoned the council on Tuesday morning) - not a thing, not even an acknowledgment.

I'm not impressed.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields