SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fires
honoracorn

13-11-2007 03:37 PM

Anyone know the rules regarding open log fires in Lewisham? I notice on other forums (yes I am a slapper and i do read around) residents in SE22 are all trading logs. Are you allowed to burn wood or smokeless fuels, or is it gas fires only?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

19-11-2007 06:18 PM

I don't know the answer to this but I have smelt a lot of what I assumed to be log fires recently. I thought no one was allowed fires in London? Maybe we're far enough 'out' for it to be ok....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

19-11-2007 09:04 PM

Most of London is supposed to be "smoke free" under the Clean Air acts of the 50's and 60's, when London pea-souper smogs were common, fewer houses had central heating and many relied on open fires as their main source of heat. See http://www.uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk for details. You are allowed to use "smokeless" fuels.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone has seriously enforced this in decades, as most people now have central heating, smog is mostly a thing of the past and the motor car comes in for most of the pollution stick. On the other hand, given the global warming arguments these days, we may see this change .....

Sherwood

19-11-2007 10:31 PM

You have to burn smokeless fuel. I am not sure if logs count as smokeless.

shzl400

20-11-2007 12:08 AM

Sherwood wrote:
You have to burn smokeless fuel. I am not sure if logs count as smokeless.

I don't think they do - the website mentioned above lists a variety of coke, Ziplogs and briquettes - the sort you can buy at petrol stations - but not ordinary, untreated wood.

I'm told there is no similar restricion on bonfires other than in terms of timing, something to do with people hanging their washing out....

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields