SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
'Eating in- the Good Life in SE23?'
Applespider

24-01-2009 08:17 PM

Soups, stews, pasta sauces that can be made to go further and frozen for easy use are generally pretty easy and can be very cost effective. And using everything when you do buy ingredients- prime example being a roast chicken where you use the carcass (plus some cheap veg) to make stock and then the stock and remainder of the chicken to make risotto - with lots of stock left over to freeze. Left over herbs/wines can be frozen to cook with later and you can make soup (or at least stock) with pretty much any old vegetable that's looking past its best.

Here's one quick recipe for a Tomato/chorizo/bean stew that goes well with rice or pasta. On occasion, I've even served it over a toasted chunk of slightly stale crusty bread. Since I tend to cook by feel, quantities are slightly vague. One great website for some good recipes is Waitrose.com where I quite often look for inspiration.

Tomato/Chorizo/Bean Stew (serves 4-6 depending on how it's served)
Chorizo-style sausage chopped into quarter inch rounds.
(alternatively buy a ham hough and cook it 'whole' in the sauce' til it falls to pieces and add a single red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped)
3 400g tins tomatoes
Glass of wine (red ideally but white will do)
Cannellini or butter beans (one tin or a couple of handfuls cooked from scratch in advance) - drained and rinsed
Chickpeas (one tin or couple of handfuls) --drained and rinsed
Garlic (3-4 cloves) - crushed/chopped
Oregano - good pinch
Pepper
Oil

Heat the oil to a moderate heat, lightly fry the garlic, add the chorizo (ham) and seal it. Add the tomatoes, the beans, the chickpeas, the oregano, the wine and some black pepper, cover and leave to cook on a very low heat for 2 hours or so.

Sometimes I'll throw a handful of spinach or peas or rocket or courgettes in for the last few minutes (unless I'm freezing most of it) to get some more greenery in there!

Another of my current favourites is a Crab and Chilli Linguine
Crab (fresh or a from a tin)
A lime
A red chilli
Olive Oil
Splash of white wine
Linguine/tagliatelle
Garlic
Some form of green veg (peas, rocket, spinach, mange tout, sugarsnap peas)

Put the pasta on to cook.
Lightly fry the crushed garlic and then add the crab, the lime juice, the chopped chilli, the splash of wine and warm it all together. Then get the veg, stick the lid on the pan and wait for the pasta to finish cooking. Drain the pasta, toss the crab mixture over it and add some black pepper.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
'Eating in- the Good Life in SE23?' - roz - 24-01-2009, 07:10 PM
RE: 'Eating in- the Good Life in SE23?' - Applespider - 24-01-2009 08:17 PM
[] - shzl400 - 24-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SE23 link in DNB Life of the Day Baboonery 2 4,534 10-08-2008 05:29 AM
Last Post: psyche9