SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Community Fibre Broadband.
bigmacca1

18-07-2023 07:57 PM

Hello, I am looking to change broadband suppliers and looking at the new Community Fibre , has anyone taken it on? or any experience of the company.
Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subsetOfInsanity

18-07-2023 09:33 PM

I am very happy with them. I have now had Community Fibre now in two houses in SE23 and several friends have used them as well. They installed quickly, the service was as advertised and has remained cheap. I particularly like that they offer the same speed uplink as down. Also their routers use a mesh network so their range extender units don't require a separate WIFI network. They seem to know what they are doing. Good luck!

bigmacca1

19-07-2023 06:43 PM

Thanks , All sounds very positive . Anyone else have any experience good or bad . Regards.

michal

25-07-2023 12:37 PM

I have switched to them end of last year and the service has been great. Would recommend.

lukeg100

14-08-2023 09:53 AM

Late to the party here, but I would also recommend CF.

We switched to them following the Virgin Media debacle, and have not looked back. Super fast connection and no outages/dips (yet).

They do have to drill a small hole into your wall to get the (unobtrusive) cable through. Just something to bear in mind.

BigED

01-10-2023 08:52 AM

Depending on where you are, CF MAY need to run cables arlt first-floor height from telegraph poles. These will cut across the front of your or your neighbours' properties. May not please your neighbours - they're certainly not unobtrusive - so might be worth checking with CF everything that the installation will entail.

Beige

01-10-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:
need to run cables arlt first-floor height from telegraph poles

Is this somehow different to a copper/voice phone line?

This post was last modified: 01-10-2023 06:07 PM by Beige.

michal

05-10-2023 06:46 PM

There's no difference

BigED

06-10-2023 09:05 AM

It's additional to any lines you already have. And if there are no lines going across the front of your home and suddenly there are some, with no notice or consultation, you might feel a bit annoyed. And if you get CF installed and they do it to your neighbours, your neighbours might not be pleased about it.

jgdoherty

07-10-2023 01:09 PM

An aside.

In last days we have had squads of workers turn up and start digging short trenches from BT junction boxes located in pavements to boundary lines of properties on Perry Hill.

Very protective of people not damaging our precious fibre optic installation, so asked of the teams what work was being done and for whom. Gratefully received assurances they would not disrupt existing fibre optics.

But got a surprise with the additional info provided.

It seems they are installing ducts for the next stages of a new network build by Virgin Media, timeframe unspecified.

Firstly, I thought, why are they not using the existing network spine installed by BT a few years ago, for which assurances were given would meet all future expansion needs.

Is BT overly protective and preventing Virgin Media from using the existing network build? Do Virgin Media need a separate network spine?

Anyone have inside info about what Virgin Media plans are and are we about to see a second, new fibre-optic network being installed beside the BT one.

In any event whilst the duct and a dinky little access plate has been installed up to and at our boundary, We have not granted a wayleave to Virgin Media for any cable install across our property.

Any and all info welcome.

Beige

09-10-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:
your neighbours might not be pleased about it.

Well, their displeasure should probably be treated with similar sympathy to others who claim rights they are not afforded.

Perhaps those who think they have the right to park their car in the space on the road directly outside their property are a good example.

This post was last modified: 09-10-2023 12:46 PM by Beige.

Perryman

11-10-2023 05:24 PM

At least that car/truck outside your home will eventuality be towed away if it is abandoned.
If CFB go broke, who is going to uninstall all these wires and poles?
I guess people could use them to hang their washing out to dry.

Beige

11-10-2023 06:00 PM

I would have thought the network/infrastructure would have quite a lot of value and, in the event of bankruptcy, it would be easy to find a willing buyer.

BigED

19-10-2023 09:43 AM

There is a difference between the space outside the curtilage of the property, to which you would normally have no rights, and the space within the curtilage of the property. Don't assume i lay claim to the patch of road outside the house just because i don't enjoy a close-up view of cables. That would be over-interpreting 😉

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Community Fibre StuartG 5 4,793 02-05-2022 04:49 PM
Last Post: JimothySE23