SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Zebra Crossings
Tinkerbell

20-01-2009 11:05 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else also nearly get run over every time you try to get to the other side at the zebra crossing by HOP station?

It doesn't seem to bother most drivers that I'm already half way onto the road - they still don't stop, often don't even slow down. Occasionally I get a smug grin. I've seen a lady with 2 children waiting there patiently for several minutes until finally, someone decided to stop.

Yes I'm also a motorist, and yes I am in a hurry most of the time, but there is no excuse for not stopping. Perhaps it has something to do with fines being much lower than in other countries, or possibly low awareness. No idea. Don't care to hear the excuses. Rant over. Cursing

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

20-01-2009 11:13 AM

Welcome to the reality of the "them and us" approach of the daily commute.
Both parties believing they have rights over the other, resulting in a mess a lot of the time.

Pedestrians do themselves no favours, just walking out in the road anywhere they choose, and motorists constantly ignoring crossings, red lights, and speed restrictions.

Tinkerbell

20-01-2009 02:18 PM

Snazy I do not advocate "just walking out" onto the road, I am not suicidal, after all. And as I said, I also drive. A lot. And I stop at zebra crossings. After all, it's actually the law, stopping isn't optional, it's required as soon as a pedestrian approaches and I wish some of these rogue drivers would remember once in a while.

dita-on-tees

20-01-2009 02:34 PM

Yes I have noticed those pedestrian crossings are particularly bad. I was half way aross once and a car just nipped round me, it was terrifying as it was so close. I tend to swear very loudly at them, though not entirely an option when you have young children with you!

michael

20-01-2009 03:19 PM

If you want a car to stop, point your mobile phone as if you are going to take a photo of their number plate as they speed through a zebra crossing. With luck they will come to a halt.

Please note, you should not hold the phone against your ear as the more suicidal pedestrians tend to do.

brian

20-01-2009 03:44 PM

This could antagonise the more chavy and less etiquette minded members of society.
Good idea but treat with care.

jon14

20-01-2009 04:36 PM

I agree that there are people that don't stop there, particularly if they're going up the hill. Although in fairness I'd say the majority do stop.

BT

20-01-2009 04:42 PM

Tinkerbell

Its not actually the law to stop as a pedestrian approaches a crossing, only if that person is already on the crossing.

Extract from the Highway code

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

When I was learning to drive I was told to 'Let Them Wait' and only to stop for someone with a pram/pushchair.

davidl

20-01-2009 05:39 PM

Bt wrote:
Its not actually the law to stop as a pedestrian approaches a crossing, only if that person is already on the crossing.

That's not the whole story - the pedestrian has right of way as soon as their foot touches the crossing. However, the rules for drivers suggest that drivers ought to be watching for people about to cross and prepare to slow down or stop. See the Highway Code link here for details.

The driving instructor in this case sounds like a charmer and a true knight of the road.

Personally I wouldn't recommend any action which might antagonise someone who's speeding through a crossing without a care - my experience has been that they're either too careless to notice, or too aggressive and selfish to change their ways.

Perryman

20-01-2009 06:25 PM

That is the problem with zebra crossings: a pedestrian has no more rights than crossing anywhere else.

I think a good solution is to get ignorant drivers off the road and I suspect if we clamped down on all the untaxed and uninsured cars and unlicensed drivers and those with outstanding fines, that would be a good start.

Confiscate their cars on the spot and tow them to the crusher. Job done.

Bonnie Blue

20-01-2009 07:40 PM

and a life time ban for those with convictions of drug and drink driving

I despair of the behaviour of a lot of drivers when I am driving around and just wonder what they are on

The mobile phone users really get my back upCursing

Snazy

20-01-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:
Snazy I do not advocate "just walking out" onto the road, I am not suicidal, after all. And as I said, I also drive. A lot. And I stop at zebra crossings. After all, it's actually the law, stopping isn't optional, it's required as soon as a pedestrian approaches and I wish some of these rogue drivers would remember once in a while.

Not sure if this is meant as a response as you think I was having a dig at you?

My point was factual, and not based on any person, just pointing out the mentality of a large percentage of those out there.

I drive daily, and also walk about 12-20km around the streets of FH, so am well aware of how both drivers and commuters behave. The school run certainly not being an exception to the rule.

I should however point out one thing, the law states that a driver must stop when a pedestrian steps onto a ZEBRA crossing. Not to someone standing near, or waiting to cross. Puffin, Toucan and Pelican are all light controlled, and right of way is dictated by the lights showing.

(just seen the other responses stating this)

Perryman, I have to agree with a clampdown on these unauthorised drivers, but dont think thats gonna solve the crossing problem stated.
On a zebra crossing the pedestrian DOES have a right of way, but sadly this type of crossing is the least observed.

essjaygee

26-01-2009 09:34 AM

My personal bugbear at the moment is pedestrians who wait on the pavement at a crossing on a relatively empty road (so when they had plenty of time to cross safely) and then decide to start to walk across it as a car approaches. You don't have to make a car stop for you if the road is empty! Grrrrr. Numpties.

Tinkerbell

26-01-2009 09:53 AM

Bt - where exactly did you learn to drive? Smile

Londondrz

26-01-2009 10:50 AM

There are both ignorant drivers and pedestrians, let us not start a witch hunt. The difference is that a pedestrian V driver outcome is only really going to go one way and that is usually with the pedestrian injured, driver in the right or not.

If we just used our common sense we can all get on.

The exception as I found to my cost are drunk drivers. I have been off work since early October last year after being hit by a drunk driver whilst riding my motorcycle.

BT

26-01-2009 11:57 AM

Tinkerbell

I learned to drive in and around Forest Hill in the early 70's, and took my test around Blackheath. I only had 12 lessons and passed 1st time, as I also did for my Motor Cycle Test.
I have never (touch wood) been involved in an accident so I think I had a pretty good instructor, and consider myself a good driver.
I was taught to drive defensively, not aggressively as seems to be the modern way, from what my son tells me of his recent driving lessons.

Snazy

26-01-2009 01:24 PM

Sounds like BT learned to drive at a proper driving school who taught the highway code Smile As did I.

Tinkerbell, from your OP, drivers should NOT be travelling over the crossing if you are on it, you are quite right there.
But I think you need to appreciate that your statement of cars must stop on a pedestrian approaching was incorrect.

I will usually stop if it is obvious that someone is waiting to cross, and not just standing there chatting.

My big gripe are the people who run across a road, running across the side where no traffic is coming, slowing to a walk as soon as they get infront of my car (not on crossings)

Londondrz, spot on. Common sense is the answer without a doubt Smile

shzl400

26-01-2009 07:59 PM

There is a particular problem with the Honor Oak crossings near the station as there are two in quick succession. As a driver, you accelerate away from the first one, having stopped to let people cross and then have to hang on the anchors as lemmings leap out on to the second one. Not so bad when it's just a mum and a pushchair, but when it's an entire trainload of communters and they just keep on coming... Grrrr!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields