SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Early Flights into Heathrow
taymountgrange

30-10-2022 08:23 AM

Don’t know about anyone else but I’ve been sleeping terribly lately. Waking up between 4:00 and 6:00 most mornings……much earlier than I’d like for sure.

Seems that this is one of the busiest time for Heathrow arrivals, when planes bank and descend over the area. are there more, are they louder?

If anyone else is getting this or care to speculate?

Jack

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ros

30-10-2022 09:55 AM

I’m regularly woken up at 5am onwards by plane noise. They do seem to go on until midnight. The large ones are obviously Heathrow but there are a lot of smaller London City ones.. some days we get planes every few minutes. we’ve lived here for nearly 20 years. We never used to be under Heathrow flight path - I guess a few years ago many were re routed from over SW London.. obviously it was quiet during the pandemic but both airports are now up to fully capacity again.. and London City is trying to expand further.

ChrisR

31-10-2022 04:56 AM

Quote:
Seems that this is one of the busiest time for Heathrow arrivals, when planes bank and descend over the area. are there more, are they louder?

We often do get the early morning arrivals into Heathrow but it's not every day as there are several flight paths and they are usually changed every few hours. However certain weather conditions especially wind strength and direction can affect which runways have to be used and may lead to a certain flight path being used for longer than usual. But I'd be surprised if there are more early morning flights now than during the same period in 2019 which was the last year before Covid struck and airline flights were substantially curtailed for almost 2 years. The skies over SE23 were markedly quieter during 2020 and most of 2021 which I guess we all got used to, so with air traffic picking up more in 2022 many are now noticing the aircraft sounds again.

Quote:
We never used to be under Heathrow flight path

I've lived in Forest Hill for over 30 years and we've always been under one of the flight paths to Heathrow in that time. I remember often hearing the roar of Concorde going over us when I was at home at weekends about 5.30pm.

Quote:
both airports are now up to fully capacity again

Heathrow is far from being at full capacity I'm afraid!
The Guardian reported on Wednesday:

Quote:
Heathrow said passenger numbers were likely to hit 60-62 million this year, 25% lower than in 2019. The airport does not expect a return to pre-pandemic levels of demand for “a number of years”, except at peak times, because of a combination of worsening global economic conditions, the war in Ukraine and the impact of Covid-19 on travel habits. In 2019, a record 81 million passengers used Heathrow, a level its chief executive predicts will not be reached until 2025 or 2026

Full article:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022...-christmas

taymountgrange

02-11-2022 06:46 AM

You can complain to Heathrow.

noise@heathrow

I’ve sent them an email but very much doubt anything will be done about it.

The noise is the in bound planes on long haul. Heathrow’s bold claim is “we voluntarily don’t schedule any flight (outbound) between 12 - 6am”

Scale of the issue can be tracked here when ever your next up at 4:15 and wondering why.

https://www.flightradar24.com

Have now way of really proving there’s been an increase but it’s been about of being frequently disturbed in the early hours.

CarlyWarly

04-11-2022 08:14 PM

The early flights are often the Asian carriers doing their last ‘night flight’ and arriving early because of hood tail winds eg Hong Kong to London estimated time of arrival 06.00 but often arrives way before. It’s probably got louder now that more and more of Asia is opening up after covid and demand is increasing 😬

taymountgrange

05-11-2022 06:50 AM

From what I’m seeing on https://www.flightradar24.com/ at that time it’s flights from the U.S.

CarlyWarly

05-11-2022 07:13 AM

Helpful link here too if you go to earliest arrivals.

https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields