SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Summer Rail Strikes
rbmartin

15-07-2022 09:05 PM

There's a series of national rail strike involving RMT members on July 27th, August 18th and 20th. If it's similar to the last strike week, London Overground will operate a skeleton service until around 6pm and Southern won't bother at all. Southeastern didn't run any services on the Hayes line, but trains were operating from Lewisham.

Aslef members will strike on Saturday July 30th. In our area that affects London Overground and Southeastern but Southern are NOT part of the strike action which fingers crossed should mean the normal 2 trains per hour service to London Bridge will operate as normal.

This post was last modified: 15-07-2022 09:05 PM by rbmartin.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Honoak

15-07-2022 09:28 PM

On the hot weather on Monday/Tuesday it does not look promising - from the Southern site:

Southern Services

Southern services will also be significantly revised and more detail about the changes that are needed will become available over the weekend.
Southern metro services between East Croydon and London Bridge via New Cross Gate will not run.
Southern metro services between Caterham and London Bridge via Tulse Hill will not run.
Gatwick Express services will not run but Southern services will run in their place making extra stops.

nottinghillbilly

16-07-2022 09:40 PM

This isn't relating to Rail strikes but to the cessation of Southern services on Monday and Tuesday.
Does anyone know whether the Overground is going to be running a normal service?
For me getting to work counts as 'essential travel' as we are unable to work from home in my role and shops are still trading.
How on earth are people expected to get into work?

rbmartin

16-07-2022 10:04 PM

There's no indication that the Overground won't be running. There are some cuts to services on the network on Mon/Tues affecting the Richmond to Stratford line and Euston to Watford Junction services but nothing for our line....yet.

DaveO

17-07-2022 07:13 AM

There will be a full service operating on Monday/Tuesday for the East London Line routes. However, it's safe to say expect short notice changes or cancellations if there's any infrastructure issues due to the heat.

Romford-Upminster: No Service
West Anglia: 30-40% reduction in services
GOB: Full Service
NLL: All Richmond Services Withdrawn, Clapham-Stratford Only
Watford DC: Blanket Speed Restriction of 20MPH For Entire Route/2 Trains Per Hour
ELL: Full Service

nottinghillbilly

17-07-2022 05:00 PM

Thank you..
I noted on the ED forum that there will be NO London Bridge service on Monday and Tuesday which is a pain for those of us planning to try and skip the underground by changing at London Bridge to a Charing X service and walking. (ie: me!)

Honoak

17-07-2022 05:42 PM

It was interesting to read the Southern site 2 days ago which effectively said they were pulling the East Croydon to LB line (and in fairness some other Metro) on Monday and Tuesday.

But then I wasn't surprised really. Southern give priority to longer routes which earn more money .The EC to LB route will be the first to go for heat, snow, sickness or anything else.... because they will point to the Overground

I do no see a change in the near term. Perhaps the Southern metro belongs in London Transport, but I can't see that happening in the current stand off between government and Mayor.

rbmartin

24-07-2022 11:15 PM

According to Real Train Times, London Overground will attempt a 4 trains per hour service on Wednesday during the strike.

However it all depends on who Network Rail can get to operate the signals at New Cross Gate signal box as during the previous strike they could only a limited amount of services through the core section, leaving us with trains every 30 minutes.

First train to Highbury & Islington is at 0732, then 0802, 0832, 0902, 0932 and then every 15 minutes from 1002 with additional trains at x17 and x47 with the last through service at 1702. From 1717 trains operate as far as Dalston Junction and then the final service is to New Cross Gate at 1817.

Services to West Croydon operate every 30 minutes from 0752 until 1752.

Services to Crystal Palace operate every 30 minutes from 0938 until 1807.

Last train from Whitechapel and Canada Water are at 1745 from Whitechapel and 1753 from Canada Water.

Last train from West Croydon is at 1746.

There are NO Southern services on Wednesday from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park but there are connection opportunities from Norwood Junction with services operated by Southern or Thameslink to London Bridge, Victoria via Crystal Palace, East Croydon and Gatwick Airport.

This post was last modified: 24-07-2022 11:23 PM by rbmartin.

rbmartin

24-07-2022 11:32 PM

Thursday is a delayed start to services which sees a Sunday service on Southern which means four trains per hour to London Bridge. First train to London Bridge is at 0759 and East Croydon services run through to Caterham & Tattenham Corner, the first of which is at 0729.

A normal London Overground service will operate after 0739 to Highbury & Islington with the first West Croydon at 0737 and Crystal Palace from 0801.

nottinghillbilly

25-07-2022 07:25 PM

thank you

ChrisR

09-08-2022 02:23 PM

Saturday 13th August
I've received an email from TfL today advising "On Saturday 13 August, a rail strike is planned by ASLEF union members working for nine train operators across the country, which will mean minimal or no service on many routes into and out of London. This includes the London Overground network, where no service is expected on either London Overground or Night Overground."

Last time London Overground ASLEF members were on strike Southern didn't operate the stopping service to London Bridge/East Croydon as they claimed the stations on the route which are managed by London Overground were closed. At the moment the route is still showing as operating on rail journey planners but this may well change between now and Saturday!

rbmartin

09-08-2022 03:18 PM

I suspect it's one of the reasons Southern basically cut out services on strike days.

nottinghillbilly

09-08-2022 07:08 PM

ugh!
Thats going to be nightmare CursingCursing

DaveO

09-08-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:
I suspect it's one of the reasons Southern basically cut out services on strike days.

As I mentioned in other thread, as most of the stations on our line are managed by London Overground and the previous strikes have been RMT (Network Rail) and ASLEF (Drivers), there's no reason why the staff shouldn't be able to keep a station open as they themselves weren't on strike. 19th August however will see them on strike so they will most likely mostly be closed and no service.

nottinghillbilly

12-08-2022 06:13 PM

The station staff informed me that two trains an hour will be running tomorrow (saturday) to London Bridge.
Does anyone have the times of these trains as I cant seem to find them and I have to work tomorrow.
Since I cant get to canada water this is the only way I can connect to the Jubilee line
Thank you in advance for any info.
Station staff didn't know or seem to care.

rbmartin

12-08-2022 06:20 PM

London Bridge trains from Forest Hill are at 13 and 43 past each hour on Saturday.

Trains from London Bridge to HOP and Forest Hill are at 10 and 40 past each hour.

This post was last modified: 12-08-2022 06:20 PM by rbmartin.

nottinghillbilly

12-08-2022 06:33 PM

Ok-wonderful!
So its the usual timetable.
Thank you.
I now know I dont need to stress over this.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields