SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The Windrush Line - Red
Sherwood

15-02-2024 03:09 PM

I understand that the Mayor has name our Overground line The Windrush Line and the colour will be changed from orange to red.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anotherjohn

15-02-2024 07:55 PM

Costing £6.3M, which could've been put to more effective use elsewhere within TfL's remit.

Honoak

15-02-2024 08:42 PM

At least Penge West in 2010 showed what can be done to publicise a new line

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

samuelsen

15-02-2024 09:06 PM

Absolutely agree with Anothejohns sentiments, what an abhorrent waste of money.

Honoak

15-02-2024 09:22 PM

There is a case for giving the various branches of the Overground different colours and calling them Overground 1, 2 (or north, south etc).

But my putting the various names there will be a lot of money spent. That did not need to be done.

Some link with the Mayoral election?

rbmartin

15-02-2024 09:24 PM

Giving the Overground new names and colours will make it easier for those who don't travel on the line regularly an easier reference than just "Overground"

samuelsen

15-02-2024 11:30 PM

It was unofficially nicknamed the "ginger line". This is a vanity project undertaken by the Mayor's minions which he has probably endorsed. Personally, the money could have been much better spent, considering the Mayor keeps going back to Government asking for handout after handout as he threatens that TfL is going to go bust. Well £6.3M says he's being economical the truth so to speak based on this. It is an utter waste of money, plus the millions, upon millions he generates from ULEZ.

This isn't being political, I'm just saying what I see.

Anotherjohn

16-02-2024 07:33 AM

" Giving the Overground new names and colours will make it easier for those who don't travel on the line regularly an easier reference than just "Overground" "

No doubt!

I know nothing about major transport infrastructure planning or operations.

So I don't have a clue what went on during the planning stage for the Overground Line, or if the various bits that branch-off were afterthoughts - but, if this renaming is essential for the ease of use for commuters, I can't imagine how the brains working on it didn't see that there should've been identifiers from its inception.

This post was last modified: 16-02-2024 07:36 AM by Anotherjohn.

rbmartin

16-02-2024 10:39 AM

Boris rejected a previous plan to rename the Overground with geographical names which would have seen our line called the East London Line, yet spent millions of London taxpayers money on the Garden Bridge and those awful buses on the 176.

This post was last modified: 16-02-2024 10:40 AM by rbmartin.

samuelsen

16-02-2024 02:10 PM

Yes the garden bridge was a disaster, another one that Boris got seriously wrong and look at the brown stuff he's managed to splatter himself with.

But we're not talking about Boris, this is all about Khan and the Khanalamity that he has created in front of us, practically "bankrupting" Transport for London. Another wasted renaming, it should have been left as it was, London Transport, because that's what it does day in, day out, 364 days a year.

Anotherjohn

16-02-2024 02:17 PM

The money Boris wasted on poncey designers and architects for that bridge was criminal!

And I wasn't aware that he may have been the main reason for this line's bits & pieces not initially being more appropriately labelled.

But, for me, this isn't about Boris or anyone else - it's just about wasting money.
On a side note, I hope the Windrush Generation and their families are comfortable with the re-naming of our bit as I personally think that it's great to see this recognition of them and the considerable contribution they made.

michael

16-02-2024 02:37 PM

Given the different lines separate identities is very sensible rather than calling them all 'overground' - as if there isn't already a massive overground network (which has been franchised out to companies predominantly owned by foreign governments to run for profit for their taxpayers - essentially British taxpayers subsidising German and French train services).

Khan did make a commitment before being re-elected, to rebrand Overground, so it should be a surprise that he intends to honour this commitment to voters.

We are still awaiting the Tram extension to Crystal Palace promised by Johnson.

As for the choice of names, they are quite good. I'm not quite convinced about some of them - Suffragette seems a bit political and Mildmay would make more sense if the line went closer to Shoreditch. But we will get used to them all very quickly.

Anotherjohn

16-02-2024 03:24 PM

Thank you for that info Michael - I'm surprised that Khan's earlier rebranding manifesto pledge wasn't mentioned an any of the news features that I saw the other day.

And, to be honest, after waiting for so long for Forest Hill to eventually be added to the Tube map, I was SO disappointed when I heard it was going to be the Overground Line, the real one of which was what we were already known for, especially from the days when we went non-stop to London Bridge in 9 minutes and on to Charing Cross, after stopping at Waterloo East, in 14 minutes total!

BackOnceAgain

16-02-2024 07:18 PM

'so it should be a surprise that he intends to honour this commitment to voters'

Is that a Freudian slip?

rbmartin

17-02-2024 12:58 AM

While I don't support Labour at all, the constant bashing of Mayor Khan is tiresome.

The £6.4m spent on rebranding the line is peanuts in real terms and for that I personally think we got the best name of the lines being rebranded as it reflects the black community that the line(s) serve, especially in the Peckham and Croydon areas.

Personally I can see the Lionesses line being rebranded after a while as it seems to have been named based on more recent events than something that is more permanent.

Having a rebranded line will benefit us even more in Forest Hill as more visitors realise that Hornimans is on the Windrush line and then reflects in more business for our local independent retailers.

This post was last modified: 17-02-2024 12:59 AM by rbmartin.

Sherwood

17-02-2024 05:09 PM

Politician bashing is an ancient sport. Aristophanes did it thousands of years ago.
David Cameron was asked to tell a political joke and said "Nick Clegg"!

Personally, I prefer a name that indicates the route of the line. For example, something about the Horniman Museum or the Crystal Palace. Or perhaps we could honour Brunel for building the tunnel.

nottinghillbilly

18-02-2024 04:12 PM

Was'nt our line originally dubbed 'the culture line' due to the nuber of Galleries and museums it linked with?
IE: the east London cluster of museums and of course Horniman?

baggydave

17-03-2024 10:37 PM

I'm happy with the name and the whole rebranding exercise, and pleased that the discussion has become fairly rational on this site, unlike others in the area.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you support the Bakerloo Line Extension along the existing Hayes line? Filigree Communications 1 3,008 10-12-2019 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sherwood