SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
SE23/SE26.life are no more
Beige

29-04-2022 02:57 PM

just like teletext

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StuartG

29-04-2022 03:27 PM

Frankly those brought up in the Twitter/Facebook timeline format will find Discourse (the SE23.life software) more intuitive and attractive. Whereas traditional forum users may prefer the errr - forum model.

IMHO what trumps both is content and activity. As I reminded a previous owner of that forum at the time - the most active/successful forum in the area then and today has possibly the most user unfriendly software - https://mail.eastdulwichforum.co.uk

Stuart

leonk

29-04-2022 03:51 PM

There was lots of content on se23.life, it was pretty active.

I think that possibly may have contributed to it feeling difficult to navigate. Harder to find things when there's lots more to search through.

I'm not really sure how anyone can prefer older interfaces like this and the east Dulwich forum. Possibly it's out of habit. But there are many clear advantages of more modern interfaces. Mobile friendly a big one.

Beige

29-04-2022 03:56 PM

I guess there isn't much to be gained in discussing the pros and cons of the front-end, since we don't have that choice.

You make an excellent point about EDF, which I think is that the value is in the user-base/traffic and a modern front-end is not a necessary condition for this. Having said that I actually find EDF significantly more usable than here (some of this is down to what we are allowed to do here, some is what functionality is enabled here and some is down to differences in the front-end itself).

rbmartin

03-05-2022 03:33 PM

I'd like to see it as a new beginning for discussing local issues without the drama of the Chris Beech era or the way it became after he apparently left.

samuelsen

03-05-2022 04:17 PM

Agreed the way forward is to look to the future, Beech is in the past and now very old history, time to move onwards and upwards, embracing what we have and making use of it to disseminate information to the community, taking the cream of the old and the the best of new, as they said in the days of former pirate radio.

annsquire66

03-05-2022 08:40 PM

I've just read that the EDF Forum will also be closing in July unless someone else wishes to take over Huh

admin
Administrator

03-05-2022 08:57 PM

That's a shame.

Just for reassurance, SE23.com's costs are covered by other sources of income so is unlikely to suffer the same fate. In fact, the forum has recently been moved to a better server with improved uptime. Looking forward to the next 20 years serving the community.

samuelsen

03-05-2022 09:01 PM

So sad to hear that, EDF has been a community resource for the past 16 years, I hope someone can step in and take over its running. It's probably been the most active Forum locally.

jgdoherty

05-05-2022 09:52 AM

Time marches on and we are potentially within the last few days of the presence of the last of the .life websites.

Is there any update directly or indirectly from @ForestHull about why it is closing or any sign of preparedness or willingness to hand either of the sites on to new owners?

bigmacca1

09-05-2022 07:57 PM

Seems strange to me that SE23 closing and EDforum rumored to be finishing whats the common problem, Personally sad to see local websites closing always helped big time. Will be missed.

CarlyWarly

09-05-2022 09:18 PM

It’s such a shame it’s closing.

Two features I’ve noticed that this site doesn’t have is the ability for logged in users to go to ‘last read’ post and it’s also missing a ‘like’ button for posts too.

I really liked the user interface of .life, felt contemporary and well ordered.

OakR

10-05-2022 08:14 PM

"Happy to hear suggestions on how SE23.com can help with serving the community."

When I moved here, this was the only forum and the one everyone seemed to use. Lots of useful info, good contributors etc, it was my go to place.

Times have changed and there are now a plethora of facebook groups, twitter people to follow, other social media type forums. Standing out against that is hard, but possible.

First thing all those things above have is ease of use on mobile phones, for reading, posting, uploading photos, quoting, adding links etc. I think to get enough users here, or on another forum, you will need to be able to do this, which means migrating to somethig like Discourse (not sure if you would need to start again / how to migrate users etc).

Not just mobiles, but the user experience at present on the site will not be good enough (IMO) to get enough people back, and you need a certain amount of volume of users for the site to be active.

Recommendations were extremely popular on .life - you could see which users recommended someone on a thread (on some fb groups it's always the same 3-4 people recommending the same people) so could take a view on how legitimate that reivew was. I'm not sure if it's changed, but previously on here you could not post a reply to someone asking for a recommendation. I don't understand SEO, but having a load of recommendations on a site and someone searching se23 and plumber and being directed to here (or a forum) can only be good for traffic to that forum.

There are lots of other things you need to decide on, moderation (there is one sarcastic post to a returning user - that sort of thing to decide on the tone and whether you are happy with it), how to engage with local societies (this is an area I think could be improved and never worked as well as it could have) and campaign groups but the two above would be the big ones for me.

As an open forum searchable on the web, that is one huge advantage you do have over some other social media. It might work without a software migration, but I can't see it myself, and if you don't do it, sooner or later I expect someone else might.

Good luck.

admin
Administrator

10-05-2022 08:53 PM

OakR, thanks for your constructive suggestions.

Quote:
facebook groups, twitter people to follow, other social media type forums. Standing out against that is hard, but possible.

If the community finds SE23.com useful then fine. It won't disappear even if not. Smile
It's not aiming to directly compete with anything else, rather is here as a complementary resource and to serve as an alternative when things go south elsewhere.

Quote:
ease of use on mobile phones

Sure, a fully mobile responsive site would require some work but is not beyond the realms of possibility. In the meantime pinch and zoom has to serve as a workaround.

Quote:
previously on here you could not post a reply to someone asking for a recommendation

Replies to requests for recommendations will be welcome.

Quote:
moderation (there is one sarcastic post to a returning user - that sort of thing to decide on the tone and whether you are happy with it)

Removing posts inevitably invites its own criticism, so probably better to leave it to members to comment on others' posts.

Quote:
how to engage with local societies

Any local group is welcome to use SE23.com if they think it might be useful.

HillLife

24-05-2022 08:22 AM

I used to be a user of this site years ago but I switched to SE23 life for a couple of reasons:

1. I found SE23 life’s website much more user friendly to navigate. Like somebody else said this forum is a bit like teletext.

2. The constant chat about Chris Beach became very tedious. Even now he is still being discussed on this page and one of the most discussed topics on this website is the one about him. As somebody who was new to the area I had (and still have) no idea who is, nor do I care who he is or what he “did next”, yet it completely dominated all discussions on this website. I therefore found the topics on SE23 life a lot more refreshing and helpful.

I feel that the Next Door app is more user friendly, especially to use on a phone as content can be uploaded quite easily. If this website was formatted to a more modern style I would probably use it as frequently as I did SE23 life.

samuelsen

24-05-2022 08:52 AM

This website is set out into clear sections, 23life was a jumble of all things and difficult and annoying to use, IMO. It came to a close so let's just move on and look to ne beginnings.

Beige

24-05-2022 10:05 AM

@samuelson, you've made your view known in several posts. Until their post Hilllife had not and did so constructively. Why the need to suggest they 'move on' Thumbdown

samuelsen

24-05-2022 01:58 PM

I meant "move on" as in let's use this site constructively and not denigrate it.

jgdoherty

25-05-2022 09:55 AM

HilLife posted:

Quote:
2. The constant chat about Chris Beach became very tedious. Even now he is still being discussed on this page and one of the most discussed topics on this website is the one about him. As somebody who was new to the area I had (and still have) no idea who is, nor do I care who he is or what he “did next”, yet it completely dominated all discussions on this website. I therefore found the topics on SE23 life a lot more refreshing and helpful.

Apart from a benign reference made recently in the passing in which the individual was un-named, there has been no specific reference to him on here since Sept 2021.

So yes there has been a lot of chat about him - in the past.

Constant no.

Recently - hardly mentioned.

I wish you continuing good fortune in the fact that you do not know who the individual is.

As many as 35+ individuals who crossed his path did not enjoy your good fortune and suffered egregious, personalised and unjustified attacks by him. Many of these attacks were on the forum - some even extended into unwarranted threats made in DMs.

Many good people simply dropped from local forums to evade his attacks and have not returned.

This forum has altered a lot in a very positive way and it is what it is.

Many are happy to engage on it and comment on local issues without fear of unwarranted opprobrium.

Long may our local forums thrive.

This post was last modified: 25-05-2022 09:57 AM by jgdoherty.

Beige

25-05-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:
Constant no.

Perhaps Hilllife could have said 'plentiful', to avoid being taken literally.

Just looking at the 'SE23 Topics' section front page shows by far the most popular thread with activity in recent (as defined by the forum) times was 'What Chris Beach Did Next' with 143 posts. The next biggest thread has 54.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liveable Neighbourhood for SE23 and SE26 brencud 0 3,435 31-07-2017 08:29 PM
Last Post: brencud
  Street lights not working in parts of SE23 and se26 samuelsen 7 7,141 27-09-2016 10:21 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Life in SE23 - Our community Forest Hill library partnership bid P1971 12 12,342 22-05-2016 10:50 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Life in SE23 - Slow Worms in Forest Hill Devonish Forester 9 9,486 15-05-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: bkkmei
  Life in SE23 - Shops edpaff 177 107,651 13-05-2016 09:08 AM
Last Post: AMFM
  Life in SE23 - Dacres Wood Open Day – help us get to know our trees! dacreswood 0 3,338 28-04-2016 09:47 AM
Last Post: dacreswood