SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill Posters?
MISE23

21-01-2011 12:44 PM

Hi..

Bit of a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever seen/know of posters advertising Forest Hill as per those (of many varieties) that depict Crystal Palace in Victorian/early 20C times?

If anyone knows of where you can obtain/download one of these it would be much appreciated!

Thanks Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andrewr

21-01-2011 02:19 PM

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
.pdf File  House4Sale.pdf (Size: 296.44 KB / Downloads: 564)

andrewr

21-01-2011 02:28 PM

Here's another one. Interesting to try to locate the point 4 minutes from 4 stations (Honor Oak, Lordship Lane, Forest Hill, Honor Oak Park presumably) and from which 'London', wherever that may be, is only 10 minutes away! They didn't have the Trade Descriptions Act in the 1930's.
.pdf File  EstDevt2.pdf (Size: 346.02 KB / Downloads: 612)

andrewr

21-01-2011 02:31 PM

Sorry - the four stations were said to be within "a few minutes' walk", not "four". Strange that these days so many of the occupants of the same homes find it necessary to drive to the two remaining stations!

MISE23

21-01-2011 02:40 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for those.. I was thinking somehting more along the lines of this kind of poster (I dont know whether they were ever made for Forest Hill area)

http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.u...asp?id=297

Ever seen anything like that for FH?

Thanks

andrewr

21-01-2011 04:02 PM

I've never seen such a poster for Forest Hill. Is the difference that Upper Sydenham / Upper Norwood suddenly became a popular place to live after the construction of the Crystal Palace on the top of the hill whilst the development of Forest Hill was more linked to the coming of the railway. There were, of course, similar posters for Metroland where the suburbs were developed by the Metropolitan Railway Co, but I'm not aware of any similar commercial push for development in the Forest Hill area.

TheHermitageSE23

22-08-2020 05:10 PM

Hi Andrew, New to site just found your reply posting. I am looking for items, such as these posters, for anything to do with The Hermitage, White House, Havelock House, Tewkesbury Lodge. Might you have anything more for these areas please? Cheers, Tony

jgdoherty

23-08-2020 12:42 PM

Not sure it is entirely what you are searching for, but I had recall that I had seen an advert/poster For Taymount Grange somewhere.

A search reveals this partial image, perhaps reflecting society views of the 1930's:

It's on this site:

https://taymountgrange.co.uk/history

It may provide a source for additional material.

TheHermitageSE23

23-08-2020 04:47 PM

Thank you very much for finding out this poster and posting it here. Unfortunately it is not in the area I am after, but I'm sure other members might be interested in it.
However whilst I've been searching through old posts on this forum I did come across someone researching Eliot Bank, which is close by. I'll try and find him and bring his attention to this. Kind regards, Tony

This post was last modified: 23-08-2020 04:52 PM by TheHermitageSE23.

Herbparis

23-08-2020 09:45 PM

Hi Tony

I have been researching into Eliot Bank and how it required its name and the former residents of the villas. Also been looking into the large villas along Sydenham Hill within the Nature Reserve boundaries.

Please PM me if you require further information? Thumbup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields