SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What does the future hold for Forest Hill?
PVP

14-11-2007 10:55 AM

As per recent post, I have lived here for 6 years + and have seen the area change greatly. I fully expect the area to continue evolving (even though I much prefer revolution being a closet communist); people are too down. If we did have ED-by-the-tracks, house prices would be double what they are now and very few of us would have been able to afford to move here. A useful highstreet would include practical as well as upper market places (and we have plenty of empty units to accomodate a poundland).

On the social side, things have greatly improved over the years, though it has been a shame to see some places launch and quickly fold. Whilst I do not wish to denegrate anyone who is brave enough to establish their own business, others (Hob, Honour Oak, DA, Question) seem to have thought things through much more. Personally, I only have time to use the FH shopping district in the evening and the weekend, and most of the time for social stuff. I think this aspect would present the greatest potential growth as FH is a very busy station and very few make habitual use of the area. The biggest danger looking forward (IMHO) is for the centre of gravity of the night life to tip towards the drink on the street / betting shop / mismatching 7 year old suit combo / Racing Post in back pocket brigade.

So what to add to what we have to increase the spectrum:

Deli - I'm sure many of FH's more recent residents would happily make use of a deli if one were local. Most other areas of London similar to FH have one, and if HO can support one, FH definitely can!
Gourmet burger place - again, if HO can support 1/2/3 of such places, FH can defnitely support one!
Restuarants - it was a shame the Italian pizza place cum Thai restuarant closed as I thought the food was good in both (not great, but good for mid-market pricing). With both though the internal space was not well utilised.
Bars - something like the DJ bar in HO (can't remember the name - having a senior moment)

Apart from that, I think more of the same, and pick uip the quality.

Alternativly outlaw supermarkets and then we can go back to living in Camberwick Green.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: What does the future hold for Forest Hill? - PVP - 14-11-2007 10:55 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking back at Forest Hill's future ForestGump 13 13,506 31-03-2008 10:00 AM
Last Post: Happysnapper