SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Let's have a Flash Referendum - Not a Flash Election
jgdoherty

06-09-2019 11:05 AM

October 15 is being bandied around as a potential flash election date.

Here is a fresh thought - a flash referendum on that date - or any suitable date.

Furthermore with campaigning and leafleting banned in the run up.

The electorate - those parts that want to know detail at least - probably now know as much as they need to. it is possibly the case that most can absorb no more detail.

And more politicking will only lead us further into the deepest valleys of vitriol, animus and hostility.

Let it be the case that the flash referendum goes ahead with a suspension of those negative elements that have emerged - and I feel I cannot be the only one who is worried about the ease with which our national dialogue has degenerated so badly.

So the single question could be:

Do you agree that Her Majesty's Government should negotiate and conclude an agreement with the European Union that will see the UK leave the European Union?

[Yes] or [No]

It cannot be any worse than where we are today.

Acknowledgement to the originator of this idea - you know who you are.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No Longer Registered

14-09-2019 08:35 AM

I represent a minority in FH but voted to leave.

As you know the referendum question was should we leave or stay. It wasn't should we leave if we get a good deal.

The majority voted to leave. Please stop going on about Parliament being subverted. Those blocking our exit never wanted to leave on any terms.

Your post also suggests that only stupid people voted to leave. Whilst I accept the level of the debate (on both sides) was poor it is the essence of universal franchise that you don't need to pass a test before voting.

As it happens unlike many in Westminster I studied economics so I know the risks of Brexit. I also appreciated the opportunities. I voted to leave for political reasons. However if someone voted to leave because they thought it would stop Russians coming to the UK that was their right. Equally if a person voted to stay because they were worried that Brexit might stop them from buying a flat white from Cafe Nero that is also fine.

I and 17 million other people would be grateful if Parliament would do what it was told to do and if the remainders would respect the result of the referendum.

jgdoherty

14-09-2019 09:32 AM

152047 said:

Quote:
Please stop going on about Parliament being subverted.

I realise that you will have perceived this argument being made by many debaters in many other places.

But in my post - you did not see those words or inference.

No Longer Registered

14-09-2019 02:35 PM

You are quite right, my apologies. You didn't run that argument but plenty of remainers[/code] have.

I will stick with my view that the gist of your suggestion is that you think the referendum doesn't count because only stupid people voted to leave.

If the referendum has resulted in vitriol, animus and hostility I would suggest that is down to the remainers being unable to accept and respect the result of the referendum.

No Longer Registered

14-09-2019 02:37 PM

You are quite right, my apologies. You didn't run that argument but plenty of remainers have.

I will stick with my view that the gist of your suggestion is that you think the referendum doesn't count because only stupid people voted to leave.

If the referendum has resulted in vitriol, animus and hostility I would suggest that is down to the remainers being unable to accept and respect the result of the referendum.

No Longer Registered

14-09-2019 02:37 PM

You are quite right, my apologies. You didn't run that argument but plenty of remainers have.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Referendum on the Alternative Vote robin orton 114 88,893 18-05-2011 08:45 AM
Last Post: ryananglem