SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Provender
Nosey Gal

29-10-2008 09:43 AM

Apologies if this has already been raised and i've missed it but.. Provender on Dartmouth Road is shortly to close. I was in there on Friday and the shelves were virtually bare as they prepare for shutting up shop Sad Apparently due to lack of footfall since the pools closed.... hope this won't turn into the same story for others along that stretch.

They will be opening a smaller shop in Blackheath and i wish them luck there but its hardly convienent for us F.Hillers.

Apparently going to be (greasy spoon type) cafe - bearing in mind there is 2 already on Datrmouth Road i'm not sure what the deman will be - but good luck to them. Better than it being yet another empty unit in the town centre!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

29-10-2008 11:01 AM

Very depressing news.

brian

29-10-2008 12:36 PM

Yes very depressing

I remember first opening under Brian and Elizabeth back in early 70's.
Another greasy spoon , well great for the health of the area.

michael

29-10-2008 10:52 PM

This is a real shame. There was a time when Provender led the way in health foods, exotic vegetarian foods, and organic produce. Since they opened in the 1970s times have moved on and they have set the standards for expectations for food quality. Now every supermarket has a range of foods that would once have been exclusive to Provender.

As their USP became lessened Provender moved toward providing more take away foods. When I was at school we would often go there for sandwiches rather than the chip shop a few doors away. More recently they became a cafe as well as take away. Nobody can say that they did not innovate.

Herbparis

28-12-2008 01:08 PM

[Post moved to this thread for information - admin]

Just drove past passed Provenders Deli in Dartmouth Road today and have notice that their windows have been whitewashed and looks like it has closed down does anyone know?, has this is a long established business has been in the town since I moved here 26 years ago and would be a shame that it has closed for good.

bigbadwolf

28-12-2008 03:10 PM

Provender's closing = end of an era.

It's a real shame they've closed as this was my parents baker of choice when I was stumbling about Forest hill as a toddler and their early morning loaves will stick with me for the rest of my life. I wish them all the best on their new venture in Blackheath.

roz

28-12-2008 06:19 PM

Fortunately we have discovered a 'baker of choice' albeit from one of the two or so organic delivery firms that operate in this area- I can pm the details if anyone wants to know- we have 4 fresh wholemeal loaves delivered weekly as well as organic fruit and veg and they can also be frozen. Not a full recompense for Provender I know but may help!

Tomb

04-03-2009 01:17 PM

Hi

Id be intersted to know where you get your organic fruit and veg from. How local is it? We use Riverford, who are very good, but not exacly what I would call local. Also -anyone know what happened to Forest Hill farmers market? I have seen it advertised online (at FH Pools) but perhaps it stopped when the pool closed?

alisa

07-03-2009 10:04 AM

Hi Tomb!
Re fruit & veg - I know the milkman delivers - the produce comes from Essex according to one of their leaflets (I think I read) and then the local delivery is using an electric float - so presumably good for the carbon footprint. I think you order on a Sunday & then receive on the next Friday - and can all be done over the net - http://www.milkandmore.co.uk
I have also seen the Abel & Cole van delivering when I go to work, so they definitely 'do' our area.
Admin - Not particularly relevant to Provender I realise (who have a lovely new outlet in Blackheath I noticed) but not sure how to move/create appropriate posts or the right etiquette!
A

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
reverendlionelblair

07-03-2009 08:59 PM

The Cake Shop in Sydenham is a good baker if you don't mind the walk, the bread is infinitely better than Sainsburys and its a local business that isn't part of a huge chain.

Anyone know of any other bakers nearby?

Contrary Mary

08-03-2009 09:36 AM

There's the Perry Vale Bakery, on the corner of Perry Vale and Siddons Rd. Lovely bread, sandwiches and a small selection of cakes. Nearer than The Cake Shop.

reverendlionelblair

08-03-2009 10:00 AM

Thanks for that, for some reason I never seem to head that way into Honour Oak, I think it's the Hill!

You don't happen to know whether they (or anyone else) does bread baking classes do you?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields