SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pedestrian signals consultation - junction by Harvester
SMCCColts

02-10-2018 11:25 PM

TfL are consulting on putting in some proper pedestrian crossings at the junction of the South Circular and Lordship Lane.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/a...ship-lane/

This is really important to me because it’s right outside the cricket club that I help to run. Many of our secondary school aged players make their own way to and from the club, and this junction has been a real worry for a long time. Even for adults crossing either on their own or with young children it’s a pretty terrifying junction to cross.

We also have a lot of adults using the crossing as pedestrians under the influence of alcohol. This includes both senior players after matches and a period of time in the bar, and parents of kids every Friday evening during the summer when we also have the bar open and many parents enjoy a good few glasses of well deserved refreshment.

I enquired about this junction to local councillors many years ago and was told that they had already been lobbying TfL (who control the South Circular, not Southwark) for years without success. It is, in my humble view, many, many years overdue that this absolute no-brainer of a safety improvement gets done.

In my view, the following two changes should also be made to the proposal:

a) Turn the third crossing point (the one nearest the church) into one that has pedestrian signals also. Why would you not? It’s not in the nature of people (especially young people) to walk extra yards in order to use another crossing. They will use the shortest route. I would say it’s a ‘must have’ that all three crossing points have pedestrian signals.

b) Add a ‘KEEP CLEAR’ area on the road opposite the cricket club so that cars can more safely pull out, rather than having to dart out into the moving line of cars. I have been doing this manoeuvre about twice a week for the last four years, and it’s nearly always a case of having to drive into the westbound lane in order to try to get motorists in the eastbound lane to let you in. It is often a slightly hurried and precarious move. A ‘KEEP CLEAR’ area would make this substantially safer, especially during periods such as 7pm on Tuesdays and Fridays, when we have a change-over between two junior training sessions and we have 20-30 cars trying to leave the car-park at the same time.

I’d be hugely grateful to anyone filling in the consultation form to support the changes, and especially if you could back up my two proposed changes mentioned above.

Thank you.

David Cook
I’m also a local resident who would like to use the junction with my two kids aged 8 and 10 to get to Dulwich Park.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

04-10-2018 03:40 PM

Much needed changes to the junction there. I guess the formalisation of using the left lane from Dulwich Common, to turn right onto Lordship Lane, was a matter of time. Given how long people have been doing it anyway.

Be interesting to see what the change to the traffic phases will be to accommodate the crossing phase.

SMCCColts

09-10-2018 11:30 AM

I wrote to our local councillors and am delighted to have received the following response showing how strongly they support the proposal, which I reproduce here with Councillor Andy Simmons’ permission…

Dear David,

Thanks very much for your email.

We’ve been campaigning on this for a very long time now and it has been a huge challenge to persuade and cajole Transport for London into bringing forward this proposal for consultation. In the end it took meetings with Sadiq Khan’s Deputy Mayor for Transport and TfL’s Head of Surface Transport to get this moving. TfL have a very strong focus on keeping traffic flowing and have used this issue repeatedly over the years as a reason to refuse to take action.

The design that TfL has brought forward involves a two stage crossing with a change in turning priority for westbound traffic on Dulwich Common at the junction. This means that, for example, when pedestrians are crossing halfway from the east side of Lordship Lane towards the Harvester there will be two lanes of traffic turning right from Dulwich Common into Lordship Lane. TfL claim that three straight across crossings would lead to grid lock on the South Circular.

We asked for a straight across crossing at each arm of the junction and will include this desire again in our consultation response to Transport for London and continue to lobby for this.

We’re also very happy to support the request for a Keep Clear area on Dulwich Common.

Best wishes,

Andy

Councillor Andy Simmons

Labour Councillor for Dulwich Wood Ward

Erekose

09-10-2018 06:42 PM

Agreed that having two lanes turning right will ease queues and lower my blood pressure as I currently fume over the incorrect use of the left turn lane! Not sure the left hand lane will be very easy for lorries turning right in the same way TfL’s remodelling of the Deptford Broadway / Brookmill road junction has made it very tricky for anything other than cars to smoothly turn right. The curse of reliance on road tracking software vs common sense?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian crossings: London Road junction - railing removal blushingsnail 103 88,560 10-07-2015 10:12 AM
Last Post: Perryman