SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Food waste collection - outfoxed!
SEN

29-05-2018 09:01 AM

How are people getting on with the food waste collection? Our local foxes have become completely wise to the small caddies, we can no longer put food in them. Once there's anything inside they drag it around until it opens. Thinking of seeking advice from Council as this makes the caddies useless. Recent sightings suggest local foxes are particularly sleek and well fed this year!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poppy9560

29-05-2018 12:16 PM

the handle should lock once you put it backwards-it works round me fine - no foxes getting into the one which is outside

SEN

29-05-2018 04:27 PM

Yep, locked it every time. Doesn't stop these foxes!

samuelsen

30-05-2018 11:20 AM

Fox, cunning, pest,

Across the borough we need an action plan to deal with these pests;

1) Stop putting food out/feeding foxes
2) Seal up all containers put outside
3) Ensure food outlets don't put waste food out in boxes bags, all to go into Council commercial premises refuse bins
4) Reduce the over population through a borough wide cull
5) Seek input from The Council Environmental Team

Erekose

30-05-2018 12:30 PM

For me the biggest failure of Boris' reign remains the fact that he failed to introduce urban fox hunting.

Sherwood

30-05-2018 12:56 PM

A cull would be useless. Another fox would replace the removed fox in about two weeks.
The only realistic control is to reduce their food supply. Unfortunately, people insist on feeding them.

samuelsen

30-05-2018 02:39 PM

yep, if you stop the food supply,the population will then naturally reduce to a number that can survive within that environment.

Erekose

30-05-2018 09:56 PM

A cull implies a short term action. What is needed is a sustained campaign to reduce their numbers. It can be done - in the valley where my mother lives a couple of her neighbours began to systematically shoot grey squirrels a few years back and have now cleared them from the area. True they have to work at keeping it clear but it has worked.

SEN

30-05-2018 10:11 PM

okayyyy...I guess foxes are more emotive than I realised! My question is whether the food waste caddies are up to the job, rather than anti-fox action.

Anyone else having their outdoor food waste caddies raided, or are we alone in being visited by some kind of fox genius!?

samuelsen

31-05-2018 08:37 AM

Wasn't trying to derail your thread about the caddies, in fact it would help if the bin men returned them to the property they took them from with the lid closed so in the rain they don't end up with water in the bottom or blown across the road in strong wind as they are not heavy enough to stay upright.

Yes foxes are an emotive topic and yes cubs look cute, however when they get older, mangey, plus they poo everywhere, then that needs clearing up and the stink of it, then yes some action is necessary, hence an action plan by the Council to address the issue, I doubt the Council will act purely out of the emotive nature of the subject and cost.

Snazy

04-06-2018 04:42 PM

On the topic of the caddies, they are flimsy, but just about up to the task at hand. That said, the lock on them bends about all over the place.

Would be interesting to see if any foxes have indeed learned to knock the handle down to get them open. Maybe just by pure luck? Is it happening a lot?

Re foxes, they are a very love / hate thing. Personally I am not bothered by them, no worse than cats, and certainly more welcome than rats.
Feeding them, hmmm, not a fan I have to say.

Westminster Council did a review a while back about the rat population, especially around Soho, and found one simple fact. Mankind is to blame.

Foxes are the same, while we call them dirty, it is the human race who needs to act. Not so much by culling, but learning to be responsible for their own rubbish. While foxes are fed by humans in a limited number of cases, and one of two catch something and eat it, the rest successfully scavenge from the filth of us humans.

Back to the caddy again, I hope that the design is under review. Friends from other boroughs tell me some of theirs are of better and stronger design. I am yet to see for myself.

bigmacca1

04-06-2018 07:18 PM

Our street normally has rubbish and the food caddys emptied on Tuesday AM, but the fact the dustman are banging bins and caddys about from about 6am ?? everyone now puts there rubbish and caddys out the night before so consequently we end up through the night hearing caddys being pulled about by the foxes getting ready for there banquet !!!! And its not helped that the dustmen empty the caddys into one bin that they drag about with them and spills all over the pavements before they lob the caddy towards your front door with dreggs all over the place.

Also cant believe when people come out of there house just step over it all and think someone else or the fairies are going to clear it up ??

Rant over....

Snazy

04-06-2018 09:40 PM

In total agreement with the manner of which some bin collections are done. Bin roulette, find your bin somewhere on the street after collection. Follow the trail, of the food bins, or the recycle bins being tipped into each other, with paper etc flying all over the street.....

Don't get me started on garden waste bins....

Erekose

05-06-2018 05:49 AM

Having dillegently used our caddy since the service went live we have had no issues with foxes interfering with it. More annoying was the fact that it went missing late April and it took five weeks to get a replacement....

This post was last modified: 05-06-2018 05:51 AM by Erekose.

bigmacca1

05-06-2018 09:18 AM

Probably went missing when the foxes found your caddy full of goodies and took it back to there lair to eat it at there leisure ??

Snazy

05-06-2018 12:18 PM

lol @ Bigmacca1 I can just picture that now.

Erekose, I know what you mean, I ordered and paid for the annual subscription for a garden waste bin months ago, still not delivered and thats a subscription service, so gawd knows what their interest levels are like for replacing other types of bins.

Its a complete joke, really is.

Just as a pointer to stay on topic, the food bin has not fallen victim to creatures of the night, but does end up messy and all over the place following collection.

Erekose

05-06-2018 07:51 PM

It went missing on collection day which lends weight to the throw it at the nearest house when it has been emptied approach. We are going to add our house number to the new one.....

SEN

05-06-2018 09:04 PM

Think bigmacca1 is right and (I think) reassured it isn't only us...Guess they shake them about until the pavement smörgåsbord is revealed. Our caddy has definitely been dragged off twice and opened despite the lid having been locked.

milliemop

06-06-2018 07:12 AM

Going off subject a little
We also paid for a garden waste bin on 22nd March and still no bin - have emailed and phoned on numerous occasions - nothing. And they expect us to pay annual charge on 31st March next year regardless. NOT gonna happen.

Snazy

06-06-2018 08:51 AM

RE the food caddies, they are indeed just thrown back in the direction of the nearest house, a bit like the other bins being left anywhere. While I realise it is time consuming to put them back at the exact house, it can't be that hard to at put them back a little more neatly and considerately.

RE the garden bins, the last email I got said the following.

We currently have a shortage of brown bin and our delivery timeframe is now between 6 to 7 weeks from the date you subscribed. You will definitely receive your bin asap.

When I suggested that I was paying an annual subscription, and was unhappy paying for a service I was not receiving, I was quoted this..

Quote:
Regarding our collection service, this is what it says on our website: ‘’Please note that our garden waste collection service runs each year from 1 April to 31 March. Your subscription will always end on 31 March, no matter when you joined. Sign up before April to make sure you get the best value for money.’’

And from our Terms and Conditions, please see the two clauses below:

6. Container delivery and container

6.1. The Council will deliver your container(s) within 21 working days of your application subject to 6.2 below.

6.2. Occasionally the Council’s delivery to you may be affected by a clause 13 event. If the Council is not able to deliver the container(s) due to operational reasons or stock shortage, the Council will deliver the container(s) as soon as practically possible.

13. Force majeure (events outside the Council’s control)

13.1. Neither party shall be liable for any failure nor delay in performing their obligations where such failure or delay results from any causing that is beyond the reasonable control of that party. Such causes include, but are not limited to: power failure, internet service provider failure, industrial action, civil unrest, fire, flood, storms, earthquakes, acts of terrorism, acts of war, governmental action or any other event that is beyond the control of the party in question.

I understand how frustrating it can be but to make a complaint about late delivery or paying for a service you’ve not been able to use, please send an email to envirocasework@lewisham.gov.uk and a manager will definitely get back to you.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Extension of Lewisham's Garden Waste Collection councillorsusanwise 5 8,134 13-04-2010 12:43 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Lewisham Council Free Green Garden Waste Collection Sites councillorsusanwise 0 4,334 09-03-2010 08:21 PM
Last Post: councillorsusanwise