SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglaries in SE23
admin
Administrator

29-03-2018 11:35 AM

Received from local police:

Quote:
Unfortunately the ward of Forest Hill has been subject to two burglaries over recent days, the Dartmouth Road and Horniman areas of the ward.

These incidents appears opportunistic in nature so can I again ask you all to be mindful of your home and it's contents. Burglars choose houses that have no obvious home security, appear unoccupied or have easy or unobserved entry points.

With this in mind, by taking simple security measures, one can dramatically reduce the potential of these offences.

Take a few moments to think about the boundary to your property; is the fencing in good repair? have I got trellis or similar items to prevent someone climbing over; Trellis is such a good deterrent as it is not load bearing, makes a lot of noise when broken and is pleasing on the eye.

Are your windows and doors locked when you go out, it is surprising how many people don't lock their doors, especially when secondary locks are fitted. Is your alarm set? Try and get into the habit of setting these even when you retire for the evening.

Although we cannot guarantee a totally crime free future, by taking simple steps or thinking about your home we can reduce the opportunity for these individuals to commit this impactive and awful crime.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Swashbuckler

01-04-2018 10:51 AM

Sad to follow up on this note and report a burglary on Devonshire Road (FH end). My car was parked in its drive, and the burglars have taken my son's bike and all the cash in the car. Its frustrating as had read this thread last week and was taking extra steps to be vigilant.

Be safe everyone. My poor son opened his easter eggs this morning all excited, then was in tears to find his bike had been snatched.

BigED

04-04-2018 01:32 PM

Burglaries, attempted and successful, in SE22/SE15 too. Seems there is a spate of them.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...?5,1922945

Easter weekend/school holidays, fewer people around generally, many away for a few days...

BigED

05-04-2018 03:34 PM

Found this link on another South London forum.

Survey created by a retired Met Police Crime Prevention Officer giving feedback and recommendations based on your answers to questions about your home security.

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/ho...rvey--diy/

Takes 5-10 minutes (depends on what answers you give).

I'm not linked/affiliated in any way. They say they won't pass on your email details or spam you.

Sherwood

06-04-2018 09:08 AM

How do we know it is genuine?

BigED

06-04-2018 10:11 AM

How do you know anything is genuine? However, you could do a small amount of basic research like looking at the background information on the home page which has an extensive biography of the site owner, Calvin Beckford and you can then check that against other information on the internet that back up the claims of a career in the police, ACPO, crime prevention, publications, etc.

e.g.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvin-beckford-122a4b30/

or
http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/news/former-...n-website/

or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Security-H...1843309114

The site doesn't ask for your address or telephone number.

It's true, someone could have set up a lot of fake accounts to perpetrate this kind of subterfuge, but it's a lot of effort. The site claims to be funded via the crime prevention, home security and insurance advertisers whose links pepper the site. It makes the pages look cluttered but it means that the site is free to use and doesn't need to sell your email details on.

Frankly I'd be a lot more worried using Facebook and Google, but people use them all the time.

BigED

Erekose

06-04-2018 06:48 PM

We tried it and scored 70/100 for overall house security which could seemingly be improved by clicking on one or two of their ads. Or buying a dog. Or investing in a white picket fence to stop the dogs of others from crapping on our drive.....and deterring would be burglars at the same time. Passed no personal details to them. Dubious use of part of my lunch break methinks.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields