SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Roadworks on Dartmouth Road - will they ever finish?
BigED

07-03-2018 12:36 PM

Is there a genuine end date for the Dartmouth Road chaos? I appreciate that an inch and a half of snow and some icy weather will have hampered things but it has been a few weeks now.
Anyone able to shed a little light?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

08-03-2018 08:31 PM

It is supposed to finish on Saturday 10 March according to TfL.

BigED

09-03-2018 02:04 PM

Thanks - so all back to normal by Sunday then? The residents of Dartmouth Road can start getting their regular dose of pollutants once again. And more importantly, I won't get caught out so often by buses on diversion.

Sherwood

10-03-2018 06:38 PM

Buses were still on diversion this morning.

theirpuppet

11-03-2018 11:04 AM

The roadworks were definitely not complete yesterday. But TFL don't seem to have updated their information. According to https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/status/?input=176...n=outbound

Quote:
From Saturday 10 March, Routes 176 and 197 buses now resume operating via London Road and Dartmouth Road in both directions between Lordship Lane and Sydenham (The Woodman) and no longer operate via Sydenham Rise, Sydenham Hill and Kirkdale.

BigED

27-03-2018 11:46 AM

Apologies for the rant

As of last night (26 March) the Dartmouth Road works were still not finished and didn't look like they would be finished today. I know there were some days lost to inclement weather, but the shops, bars, cafes, restaurants, services, leisure centre, library, school - all are being adversely affected by the road closure.

I'm not even sure what they have been doing, other than possibly using up year-end money, but it's been a pain from the start.

BigED

27-03-2018 11:49 AM

Looks like TFL have updated their information. They are now saying 30 March, which is Good Friday. We'll see.

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/status/?input=122...n=outbound

DARTMOUTH ROAD / LONDON ROAD, SE26: Routes 122, 176 and 197 are on diversion until 30 March due to works at Dartmouth Road, SE26. Route 122 diverted via London Road, Sydenham Rise, Sydenham Hill and Kirkdale both ways. Routes 176 and 197 unable to serve Forest Hill Station and diverted via Sydenham Hill and Kirkdale both ways.

BigED

06-04-2018 10:14 AM

Still closed but TFL now saying Saturday 7 April, i.e. tomorrow.

"Routes 122 176 and 197 are diverted until 7th April due to the closure of Dartmouth Road to facilitate works carried out by Thames Water. Route 122 missing out stops on Dartmouth Road, alternative stops are Sydenham/The Woodman or Forest Hill Station. Routes 176 and 197 missing out stops on London Road and Dartmouth Road, alternative stops are Lordship Lane/Wood Vale or Sydenham/The Woodman."

MajaHilton
Unregistered

11-04-2018 12:15 PM

This is an update I received. Like many residents and businesses I am deeply frustrated at how long a week is, but I guess it will be worth the wait in the end.

Quote:
I’ve just returned from a site visit to check progress. The primary cause of delay has been getting utilities companies on site to carry out necessary works. The most serious delay has been caused by Thames Water who took 8 weeks to repair a water leak reported in mid February and it has not been possible to progress the work near the junction with the A205 until the repair was complete. The reported leak coincided with the cold snap and I assume that Thames Water has been under unusually high pressure to repair leaks since then.

UK Power Networks were also causing delays to the work opposite Paddy Power but this has now been completed and works in the area to install gulleys has now completed. BT have advised lately of some of their future needs and this has been integrated into the scheme and is being completed at the moment to prevent damage to the scheme following completion.

All this utility work needed completing before the carriageway could be resurfaced and this resurfacing is now scheduled to take place from Mon 16th – Weds 18th with the road reopen from Thursday the 19th April. I am told there is now nothing outstanding that could get in the way of these dates. There’s a bit of paving to be completed in the main stretch of the high street but this is now coming on quickly and should be finished soon. The reinstatement of the works storage area outside Forest Lodge will be the last area to complete and the current estimated completion point is mid May.

I will ask Kier to clear the high street of their clutter as they complete each area so that the return towards normality is noticeable, even if the works are not totally complete.

MajaHilton
Unregistered

11-04-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:
how long a week is,

I may need to clarify, the very first update that we had a week of works do finish was done at the beginning of March. Then it was a following week, then again a week.

I still hope that the road will reopen on 19th April this year.

samuelsen

11-04-2018 02:58 PM

Got to feel sorry for the local traders who must be suffering as a result of the disruption created by Lewisham and the Utility companies. Bet the traders see no compensation for the amount of inconvenience and loss of business they have had to endure.

AliceT

11-04-2018 05:50 PM

Thank you for the update Councillor Hilton, it's good to know you're monitoring progress.

BigED

12-04-2018 04:27 PM

The TFL website doesn't show any roadworks at all on Dartmouth Road and no disruption to bus routes 122, 197, 176. Unless the work was completed overnight (anyone know?), don't rely on the tfl site to give you correct info just yet. One day...

Sherwood

12-04-2018 10:34 PM

I was amused one day to see a 197 bus arrive outside Sainsbury's. Then realise Dartmouth Road is closed and do a three-point turn.

Maja Hilton

13-04-2018 09:37 AM

Thanks Alice,
although I can't claim credit for posting the update on this site. please see below

Dear Admin,
it has come to my attention that someone has created a username MajaHilton which is not me. They have indeed used my words written elsewhere and I am happy for the 2 above posts to stand.

However, anyone who in our community replies to the messages or indeed sends a personal message to that account will not reach Cllr Maja Hilton. For that please use cllr_maja.hilton@lewisham.gov.uk

From Alice's message I don't need to prove that members on the forum may make this easy confusion.

Therefore I politely ask that user MajaHilton is removed as a user on this site.

Many Thanks
Cllr Maja Hilton
Councillor for Forest Hill Ward

BigED

23-04-2018 03:43 PM

According to a post on the EDForum about the 176/197 routes (and by implication, the 122 as well), "[TFL] expect the routes to return to normal running at 10AM next Saturday (28th)."

I think we've all learned not to hold our breath but as local politicians are all campaigning hard, anyone living in Forest Hill ward might want to ask them what they have been doing to try to expedite these long over-running works. I'm not expecting candidates to be able to make it happen, but I do think that regular attention to contractors, council, TFL and utilities involved is likely to keep this higher up the list of priorities.

samuelsen

23-04-2018 03:56 PM

Will Sadiq be coming to Dartmouth Road this Sunday to cut the ribbon and re-open Dartmouth Road, who know's, if only TfL could count but that's just wishful thinking. So people get ready to celebrate and I bet a few businesses along Dartmouth Road will have a huge sigh of relief if the road actually does re-open as has been stated by TfL on 28th.

Now, call me cynical, but with the Mayoral Elections (and do we really need another Mayor when the Council ran perfectly well without one before Steve Bullock, (did he really make any difference, well no the only difference was the increasing Council Tax bills to pay extortionate Executive salaries in the council. With Lewisham having recently appointed it's new Chief Executive from Rotherham, let's hope he shakes things up and restores some order

You'd have thought one of the not so bright Mayoral candidates would have noticed that local issues matter and picked up on the lengthy closure of Dartmouth Road and pressed for it to be re-opened. Clearly they missed the boat on that one.

Anyone read the guff presented by the main political parties for this Mayoral election, well I'll sum it, no policies or manifesto, just tons of yap and hot air. How do they think they are going to get elected and win without a manifesto that engages all parts of the community to improve life in the borough.

I won't be holding my breath because in the one party state here that is Lewisham Council. it already is a forgone conclusion about who will win. So regrettably the one party state will remain and those who are supposed to serve us will continue to operate and ignore those they are supposed to represent. Welcome to Lewisham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maja Hilton

24-04-2018 11:44 AM

a bit of update I managed to get this morning:

The biggest issue after the burst pipes is some drainage work that needs to be done in front of Heron House. Some pipes were not correctly shown in the existing plans, so there needed to be agreement with different agencies Water / Gas / Council / Contractor of how to resolve the issues. The part have been ordered on Friday and have arrived today. Unfortunately one part was short delivered, and the contractor has sent someone to pick up the said part from North London.

To cut the long story short:
It is still expected for resurfacing work to start this Wednesday evening
This will mean road will reopen for the weekend

There will still be some work going on, to finish the bits that need to be done. I can't wait to see it all finished.

No Longer Registered

24-04-2018 10:20 PM

Total incompetence from Lewisham and the party that had run Lewisham for the last 40 years.

Quite why this work was commissioned in the first place given the state of the roads in Lewisham is quite beyond me.

Money would have been better spent on routine maintenance.

Erekose

25-04-2018 05:38 AM

Agreed. Fixing the potholes / craters in the local roads should be priority one and not new vanity projects. Truth is you can't point at a series of repaired potholes in the same way you can a nice new stretch of pavement.
Oh yes and a crossing is still needed south of the station.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  London Road/Honor Oak Road roadworks again rbmartin 4 2,735 02-03-2023 06:53 PM
Last Post: rbmartin