SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Camille Pissarro's Paintings of Forest Hill
Ulysses

02-11-2009 03:52 PM

I've been a long time reader of the forum and therefore what you might term a 'lurker' in internet parlance.

My compunction to register and post was to point out how similar to todays view Camille Pissarro's 'The Avenue' is. Perhaps it was covered on the recent walk?

By this I mean that next time you find youself in Sydders, say visiting the Blue Mountain or heading to our Crystal Palace Park or wherever you might like to stop off near the roundabout on Lawrie Park Avenue/Sydenham Avenue. If you turn and face the church you will be in the exact spot Camille pained his most famous London painting*. The view is almost identical today (save the blooming road-words on Westwood Hill!).

*This is only my humble opinion and I am sure reisdents of Fox Hill, Upper Norwood might also beg to differ.

Anyway, 'The Avenue' hangs in The National Gallery.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/server...Object.609
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Pissaro

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulysses

02-11-2009 03:59 PM

*ahem*

Perhaps next time I post I shall proof-read prior to posting? That way Camille may not be forced to 'pain' any of his paintings nor will people be on the look-out for those dastardly 'road-words' that blight the modern motorist so...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pissarro on TV! roz 0 2,828 16-07-2011 07:52 PM
Last Post: roz