SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Camille Pissarro's Paintings of Forest Hill
Toffeejim

13-12-2008 11:00 AM

I think Julia Neuberger is guilty some some over-interpretation here. Firstly the picture is clearly painted in the autumn or winter which accounts for the lighting and the lack of foliage. It's important to remember that he painted the year round and for an impressionist living in London that means you're going to see a higher quotient of darkly lit pictures than somebody who was painting in the south of France - in fact I think it's a subtle and well-realised exercise on light and the composition very successfully blends, for instance, the steam from the engine with the cloud cover. As for the scrub, it's delightfully realised and in significantly more detail than most of Pisarro's other work executed locally in the same period.

The thing that's always confused me in this picture is the topography. Was he being a little free in his interpretation or can it be tied in to the lie of the land or housing today? Presumably the hill up to the right is the site of the current "gated estate" on the hill (what would this critic of the bourgeoisie have made of that by the way?) but can anybody identify the lie of the land in more detail or any individual houses that still stand?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Horniman Triangle Play Park SE23 - Toffeejim - 13-12-2008 11:00 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pissarro on TV! roz 0 2,889 16-07-2011 08:52 PM
Last Post: roz