SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Advice for keeping cats out?
Emily26

29-01-2018 04:07 AM

Hi all,

We recently moved to Honor Oak park and we're having a spot of bother with the neighbours. Not the human kind though - just the felines Laugh

Every day we have several cats (so far a black one, a white one, and a tabby) trying to get in through our cat flap. Now, don't get me wrong, a flat full of cats would ordinarily be my idea of heaven, but it's not sitting well with our own cats! We've had a few indoor punch ups, and both cats flinch whenever there is a noise. It's got us worried about what's going on when we're out.

We've invested in one of those cat flaps that are connected to your cat's microchip, but as its tunnel is quite long and our outdoor steps quite steep, our cats struggle to get in. (On a separate note, anyone know of someone capable of building a cat ramp?! Laugh ) Has anyone got any tips on how to keep unwanted cats out in the meantime?! Thanks in advance!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RuthyDoo

15-03-2018 05:35 PM

Hey Emily,

Where about in Honor Oak are you?

We are based at the bottom of Brockley Rise/Stanstead Road and there is a really nasty black cat that frequently breaks into our house! (We also own a white cat and a tabby - hoping they are not your other visitors!).

In terms of deterrents, I know that cats don't really like the smell of oranges/citrus or vinegar - could you try spraying that around the edge of your property and leave some orange/lemon peels at access points?

Hope your own kitties are okay!

BT

16-03-2018 08:09 AM

Not all cats are put off by Citrus and isn't it going to affect Emily's cats as well? If you want to try something old dried out tea bags sprayed with Deep Heat scattered around works. Cats hate the smell of Wintergreen.

The problem is that your cats being newcomers are interesting the locals who are the 'Top Cats' and are trying to assert their dominance.

We had a similar problem when we got Dusty, our Rescue cat. The locals were used to having 'free roaming rights' in our garden but Dusty wasn't having it and chased them all off. It was mostly howling contests but there were a couple of bundles and the locals are now very wary about invading Dusty's domaine and retreat respectfully if confronted. He tolerates next door's cat and allows him in to share his food, but that's as far as it goes. Its all a matter of Heirarchy

SEN

28-04-2018 07:09 AM

We just invested in a motion-triggered sprayer that attaches to a garden hose. I switched it on overnight to deter a vicious tom that was spraying our patio furniture daily. For a few days I would come down in the morning and see it had been activated, with no sign of him having left his calling card. Then it appears he gave up. Probably still visits the garden but not near patio. Only problem? You have to find a way of switching it on/off without getting a soaking!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields